bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Jan 2014, 11:37   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Building Dream HTPCs: Steiger Dynamics Interview

We talk to Martin Gossner - CEO of California-based Steiger Dynamics about its high-end HTPCs.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...-dream-htpcs/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2014, 16:52   #2
Jimbob
Modder

Jimbob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice looking units, but IMO a HTPC should look more like a DVD Player or Hifi amp so it blends in with your other devices. One of my favourite looking units was the "Acer iDea 500" I bought a Moneual Moncaso case recently but I noticed they have pulled the plug on those now.

The big problem with HTPCs is that a persons requirements vary, I have very little storage on mine (120GB SSD) and 4 tuners, where others wmay want a large GPU for gaming use too.
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2014, 17:12   #3
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice article. I think the case looks pretty interesting (although it is a bit on the large side) and the LCD screen looks really nice.

I see that the latest issue of CPC has a review of the case - are bit-tech planning on reviewing it too?
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2014, 17:32   #4
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
We've already reviewed an HTPC of theirs that uses it. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs...e-theatre-pc/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2014, 18:12   #5
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ah, somehow managed to miss that! Cheers.
Old 17th Jan 2014, 08:36   #6
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Its a nice case for sure but the SG04 looks good enough for me.
I looked up the review you linked to, any news on the new couch master?
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 09:45   #7
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
I hope they get round to making a smaller, slimmer version too. I understand that they then wouldn't be able to fit WC gear etc in, but I can imagine there are many out there who like their design but just can't fit something that large in the living room. I actually really like the design they chose, it's both bold, genuinely understated and elegant thanks to the mixture of curves, hard lines and excellent material choices. Aluminium has that great ability to look neutral in both modern and more period environments, unlike the standard black box look that Silverstone recently chose for their new HTPC case. That other one just looks like a VCR from the 90s, no way would I want it visible at all, which is a wasted opportunity to be honest.

This case looks pretty similar to many high end audio setups, which I quite like. Obviously it's not that exciting, but it's got a nice balance to it. A thinner profile option would be cool though, although I can see the appeal of just having one on show, if only there was enough space to do so.
Maki role is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 09:57   #8
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runadumb
The SG04? You mean the case that looks like a portable shredder? Each to their own I guess.

As for the case, I'm not a fan. It looks too much like an oversized cassette deck from long ago.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 10:17   #9
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If I'd be thinking about building a HTPC in such a big expensive case I'd probably go for the OrigenAE S21T, which has a built-in 12" touchscreen.

The case pretty much looks the same, besiides the TFT.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 10:19   #10
bawjaws
Hypermodder

I'd actually love to see a smaller version of the LEET Reference case that was about the same height as a hifi amp. 22cm tall is far too big for most people, and although I get that having a really big case allows for a wider range of hardware and watercooling options, it's far too big for my taste. You could slim it down with a smaller LCD display, and a slot-loading optical drive (or better yet, no optical drive?)...
Old 17th Jan 2014, 10:30   #11
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Quote:
The SG04? You mean the case that looks like a portable shredder? Each to their own I guess.

As for the case, I'm not a fan. It looks too much like an oversized cassette deck from long ago.
DOH! I meant the SG08
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 11:00   #12
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Quote:

DOH! I meant the SG08
Ahh... That makes a lot more sense.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 14:17   #13
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Watercooling for an HTPC? Overcomplicate much?

Personally I prefer my HTPCs lean: passively cooled, low power consumption. It is a device that should be able to run quietly, 24/7 with virtually no maintenance and small electricity bills.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 14:21   #14
jinq-sea
#BBERG

jinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I thought that. You're a fellow HFX owner aren't you, Nexxo? For me, that's the pinnacle of a brilliant HTPC. I've got the Classic, and I love it. Had it for years, and it's had a number of systems in it!

EDIT: For those not in the know, one of these.

Keyboards, various. (More than I have hands and feet...)
i7-3770K // P8Z77-I Deluxe // 8Gb Ballistix // 770 // 256Gb M4 // 250D // AX850 // 3008WFP // 2i2 // Rokit 5 G2
jinq-sea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 20:42   #15
blackworx
Cable Wrangler

blackworx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
There are two major components which have to be covered to ensure a perfectly smooth living room computing experience: First, the proper hardware setup and second, the software configuration.
No sh*t, Sherlock!
blackworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 22:51   #16
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinq-sea View Post
I thought that. You're a fellow HFX owner aren't you, Nexxo? For me, that's the pinnacle of a brilliant HTPC. I've got the Classic, and I love it. Had it for years, and it's had a number of systems in it!

EDIT: For those not in the know, one of these.
I am indeed. For me they're one of the few HTPC cases worth considering. Go passive or go home.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2014, 00:00   #17
jinq-sea
#BBERG

jinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I recently rebuilt mine - I should do my build log really!

Keyboards, various. (More than I have hands and feet...)
i7-3770K // P8Z77-I Deluxe // 8Gb Ballistix // 770 // 256Gb M4 // 250D // AX850 // 3008WFP // 2i2 // Rokit 5 G2
jinq-sea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2014, 18:33   #18
BlackRaven
Freaking printers!

BlackRaven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
These guys can cram a lot of kit in to that box. For example:
Processor:
AMD FX-9590,
5.0 GHz Turbo
, 8-Core CPU

CPU Liquid Cooling:
LEET™ Custom Liquid Cooling for CPU and graphics