bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Jan 2014, 10:40   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Valve drops touch-screen from Steam Controller

Looks to add D-pad, too.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...w-controller/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2014, 12:09   #2
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice move. I'd hate to have to look at a touche screen, and thus getting my eyes off of the screen. Trust your fingers, they know where they are without relying on your eyes (no hidden meaning in this sentence ).

Last edited by GuilleAcoustic; 16th Jan 2014 at 12:20.
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2014, 14:38   #3
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
Nice move. I'd hate to have to look at a touche screen, and thus getting my eyes off of the screen. Trust your fingers, they know where they are without relying on your eyes (no hidden meaning in this sentence ).
Agreed, it'd have been a pointless expense. SteamOS computers are already going to be a bit on the expensive side (and if not expensive, mediocre) so I don't think one of these controllers will really have an appeal if they end up costing more than $100 due to a touchscreen.
Old 16th Jan 2014, 19:14   #4
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
But wasn't this a selling point? The premise was good and a lot here including myself would have liked to see it.

Is it just me or are the stand out benefits of a SteamBox/Machine/OS starting to look a bit thin on the ground?
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2014, 19:20   #5
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
But wasn't this a selling point? The premise was good and a lot here including myself would have liked to see it.

Is it just me or are the stand out benefits of a SteamBox/Machine/OS starting to look a bit thin on the ground?
No, the touch screen controller was the selling point of the Wii-U. The Steam controller's selling point was being able to play games that require a mouse and keyboard, and the fact there are no physical joysticks. Unless I misunderstood something, it seems the functionality of the steam controller's touchscreen is there, it just simply isn't a screen.
Old 17th Jan 2014, 09:51   #6
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Would like to know if the change from touchscreen to touchpad is going to have the same haptics as the circular ones.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2014, 08:52   #7
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm pretty sure they were selling it as a revolution in game controlling with the touch screen and the circle things that nipple twist gabe.

Kinda feels like an AMD scale let down to me.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game controller, joypad, nipple twisters, steam controller, steam dev days, steam machine, steamos, valve