bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Jan 2014, 10:03   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Raijintek Pallas Review

If you need a super low-profile CPU cooler, you'll want to check out Raijintek's Pallas
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...allas-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 10:43   #2
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.
Now we are seeing so many coolers listed in the test results, could a distinction be added to show liquid or air ? Not all of us are intimately familiar with a specific cooler's design from just the name.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 10:49   #3
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
anyone else misread the product name as "phallus" at first glance?

(also second the request for air vs. liquid distinction in graphs)
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 10:56   #4
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder

...No... :P

We'll look into clearing those up though How does separate charts sound? Or would we prefer different colours to distinguish?
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 11:03   #5
AlphaAngel
Hypermodder

AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.
This is asking to much maybe but maybe putting an (lp) or something next to low profile coolers and (AIO) next to the liquid coolers would help with anything else assumed to be a tower cooler.

I only add the (lp) idea as many HTPCs cannot support full sized tower coolers and this would help to compare like for like a bit more easily. Only an idea though.
Old 17th Jan 2014, 11:14   #6
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
I think it's important to include an air and water mix, especially where they're the same price. We can certainly look at making low profile and all-in-one liquid coolers different colours or labeling them though. Don't forget that you can use the tags under 'More About' on the right side of the page to bring up other similar reviews too - like this for low profile coolers.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 11:14   #7
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.Almightyrastus is definitely a rep cheat.
Just an (a) or (w) after the product name or equally simple would suffice, with a line or two added into the review just before the table is presented explaining.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 11:14   #8
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I second AlphaAngel's idea with the 3 groups, how you choose to show the distinction however is up to you but I would prefer to see them all listed together on the same chart rather than having to go back and forth to compare on different charts.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 11:25   #9
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder
Yup!

At first I was thinking "Why have they called it tha....", then I was like "Oh, derp".
xaser04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 14:11   #10
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Does this fit on a mini-itx?
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2014, 15:35   #11
Combatus

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]Does this fit on a mini-itx?
It was tall enough to clear the heatsinks on our Maximus V Formula but a lot will depend on your particular board. Were you thinking of one in particular? If we have it I can check it for you.
Old 17th Jan 2014, 18:23   #12
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So... When it's due an AMD rig due to testing? I think it's a major fault in the reviews. And yes, I have an AMD.
Was supposed to go to Intel but didn't have the enough money since pc died unexpectedly and had to build on a budget.

Luckily, my Zalman CNPS9900LED is compatible to FM2+, a plus for AMD, at least.

I insist on this because that might come a day I want to change cpu cooler and still can't go WC the pc and have no review avaliable here.
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2014, 02:28   #13
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
It was tall enough to clear the heatsinks on our Maximus V Formula but a lot will depend on your particular board. Were you thinking of one in particular? If we have it I can check it for you.
The Asus Z87I Professional and Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact have a daughterboard for power circuitry, so I would assume they are the "worst" case scenarios for cpu cooler compability, due to which a positive result on either of those two would mean it would fit on any mini itx board.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2014, 08:33   #14
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield
The Asus Z87I Professional and Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact have a daughterboard for power circuitry, so I would assume they are the "worst" case scenarios for cpu cooler compability, due to which a positive result on either of those two would mean it would fit on any mini itx board.
No, the worst case scenario would be most Socket 1156/1155/1150 MITX boards, because most of those have their sockets placed in close proximity to the PCI-E slot and thus severely limiting HSF choice. Constantly exasperating as an Intel MITX owner looking to replace the stock HSF.
See: http://static.scan.co.uk/images/products/1510622-b.jpg

No such issues with AMD sockets, new or old, I can stick anything on my two AMD ITX boards (both with differing socket orientation) so all I needed to care about was height clearance. In fact I didn't even need to buy another HSF for them because of full socket compatibility all the way from S754 in 2003 through to FM2+ in 2014. Everything fits.

Intel MITX has been such an issue for component choice and the extra CPU performance not at all worth it, that I'll be going AMD next time no matter how stellar the Intel IPC is. And I won't need to buy another HSF to replace the stock one. I already have several.
Old 18th Jan 2014, 12:01   #15
ferret141
Ultramodder

ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.ferret141 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder View Post

Damn you. I originally read it as palace but now every time I see I've read it as phallus.
i5 2500K | Thermaltake Frio | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP | ASUS P8P67 Pro | EVGA GTX680 2GB SC Signature 2 | Corsair AX1200 | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | 1.5TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Caviar Black | 3TB WD Red | SONY-NEC BD-5300S BD-RE | Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution (RV02E-BW USB3.0) | ASUS VG278H 3Dv2 | Win7 Ult. 64bit | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champion Series | Speakers:Logitech G51 | Headset:Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro + ModMic 3.0 | Keyboard:Logitech G15 | Mouse:Logitech G9x
Plusnet | Loadout
ferret141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2014, 13:43   #16
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum
Intel MITX has been such an issue for component choice and the extra CPU performance not at all worth it, that I'll be going AMD next time no matter how stellar the Intel IPC is. And I won't need to buy another HSF to replace the stock one. I already have several.
I am just amazed, although not surprised that someone would decide to base their whole PC choices around the compatibility of a CPU cooler. There are coolers that would suffice for less than 10 and it isn't THAT hard to find one that would fit that offers higher performance.

It literally took me 2mins to find this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctu...1150-1155-1156

Which states this in the product description:
'At a super-low profile of only 37mm, the NH-L9i is ideal for extremely slim cases and due to its 95x95mm footprint, it provides full compatibility with tall RAM modules and VGA cards on mini-ITX mainboards'
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

Last edited by SchizoFrog; 18th Jan 2014 at 13:52.
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2014, 13:55   #17
Combatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
I can confirm that the Pallas fits on our P8Z77-i Deluxe - very similar layout, but only with the pointy ends of the heapipes facing downwards, so basically 90 degrees CW compared to the pic of it mounted on the last page. That;s enough to clear both DIMM slots too, with standard sticks in them. Only about 5mm clearance though so larger sticks are a no-no.
Old 24th Jan 2014, 17:22   #18
Initialised
Multimodder

Initialised has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For these low profile coolers I'd love to see a matrix of which cooler fits which mITX board and Chassis as it can be a minefield when clearances are tight.
Old 26th Jan 2014, 06:49   #19
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum
I am just amazed, although not surprised that someone would decide to base their whole PC choices around the compatibility of a CPU cooler. There are coolers that would suffice for less than 10 and it isn't THAT hard to find one that would fit that offers higher performance.

It literally took me 2mins to find this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/noctu...1150-1155-1156
Thank you for knowing exactly how suitable this HSF is for my needs/situation.
How did my research for a suitable HSF for my situation miss this Noctua product (even though I own two other Noctua products) when your 2 minutes of searching came up with the perfect solution? Another story of the mysteries of the great Google-plex, eh?
Old 27th Jan 2014, 01:02   #20
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
I can confirm that the Pallas fits on our P8Z77-i Deluxe - very similar layout, but only with the pointy ends of the heapipes facing downwards, so basically 90 degrees CW compared to the pic of it mounted on the last page. That;s enough to clear both DIMM slots too, with standard sticks in them. Only about 5mm clearance though so larger sticks are a no-no.
Thanks a lot
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote