bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Jan 2014, 12:53   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel and Berkeley announce nano-cooling breakthrough

Carbon nanotubes to cool future chips.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ey-nanotubes/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2014, 13:03   #2
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Cool!
Old 24th Jan 2014, 13:10   #3
murraynt
I Mod, Therefore I Own

murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Cool!
I see what you did there
I5 2500K @ 4.8ghz l MSI GD53l 8GB corsair 1600mhz l Asus 5870 v2 NZXT Phantom Red l Zalman X10 Quiet l 60GB Crucial M4l F3 1TB Spinner l X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty l 700Watt Thermaltake l Samsung IPS231 l
Steam: murraynt
murraynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2014, 13:14   #4
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Assuming that this will eventually be used to connect the processor to the heat spreader plate, we still need to develop methods for better transfer between the heat spreader and the actual cooler. Otherwise I can only see this being used in sealed units that won't be upgradeable or replaceable.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2014, 13:37   #5
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What a waste of good carbon nanotubes

I want my space elevator and I want it NOW!
Guinevere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2014, 13:53   #6
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraynt View Post
I see what you did there
It was a toss up between that and:

WOW
MUCH NANO
AMAZE
VERY MOLUECULE
SO COOLING
MANY THERMALS
WOW

But I like to think I took the high road and avoided the overused meme, preferring simple wordplay.
Old 24th Jan 2014, 14:23   #7
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
Cool!
This. Basically!
Old 24th Jan 2014, 14:45   #8
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
Assuming that this will eventually be used to connect the processor to the heat spreader plate, we still need to develop methods for better transfer between the heat spreader and the actual cooler. Otherwise I can only see this being used in sealed units that won't be upgradeable or replaceable.
As the thermal conductivity of carbon nanotubes exceeds that of diamond or any other natural material it would seem that the continued use of carbon nanotubes to connect the heat spreader to the cooler would be the ideal solution but the distances between processor and heat spreader are probably much smaller than the distances between heat spreader and cooler and I'm not sure if it's possible or financially viable to use carbon nanotubes for that purpose.

If carbon nanotubes could be used between heat spreader and cooler and were super efficient but could only be made using a sealed unit it wouldn't really matter, all though it would be very annoying for us modders who often find it hard to believe that a company spending 000,000's on development can make something better than we can in a shed with after market h/sinks and fans

Nanotubes aside, "Molecular Foundry" what a great phrase, I really need a Skyrim mod for a Molecular Foundry maybe the next great incarnation of The Elder Scrolls will have the option for nano technology, I can here the Skyrim Lore perfectionists sharpening their weapons already
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2014, 18:26   #9
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
The big question: how much does the process cost? Intel already switched from solder bonded IHS to a past TIM because it was fractionally cheaper (even though lower performing at higher voltages), so why would they switch to this, even if it performed significantly better, if it cost more?
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2014, 23:21   #10
NIHILO
The Customer isn't always right!

NIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming SaiyanNIHILO is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
But I like to think I took the high road and avoided the overused meme, preferring simple wordplay.
Such Polite.
Much courtesy.
Wow.
Old 25th Jan 2014, 23:13   #11
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
What a waste of good carbon nanotubes

I want my space elevator and I want it NOW!
Me too, but so long as it doesn't lead to fiery death.
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkeley, carbon nanotubes, chemistry, chip, cooling, heatsink, intel, microchip, microprocessor, physics, research, semiconductor