bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Jan 2014, 10:36   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
US government agrees to slight transparency increase

Some disclosures now permitted.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...transparency/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2014, 11:05   #2
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well it's good to know that even without Snowden's leaks that Facebook, Google etc. 'believe that the public has a right to know about the volume and types of national security requests [they] receive', and therefore they would definitely have filed their lawsuits and petitioned the government in this way even if the leaks hadn't come to light.

... Right?
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2014, 12:49   #3
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
Slight transparency, got that right, what they have agreed to is utterly pointless, so we can find out that the NSA made 1000's of requests for personal info from facebook users, so what, we know they are doing it, means nothing
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2014, 13:00   #4
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert666 View Post
Well it's good to know that even without Snowden's leaks that Facebook, Google etc. 'believe that the public has a right to know about the volume and types of national security requests [they] receive', and therefore they would definitely have filed their lawsuits and petitioned the government in this way even if the leaks hadn't come to light.

... Right?
At least in Google's case, I like to think so.

Back in an earlier day they were the only major tech company who told the government "you want our data? Go get a warrant". They have been consistently reluctant to just hand over data without at least some sort of due process, both in the US and abroad. In some cases, such as China, they have bowed to oppressive government regulations in able to operate, but haven't just rolled over for anyone who claims to be with the government.

The big tech companies don't benefit from massive government surveillance of their customers, and are losing at least some of their reputation now that it has been revealed.
Old 28th Jan 2014, 13:14   #5
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
I expect these firms will offer "regional" servers to avoid this problem.
What they won't tell us is that they'll be backed up to their US servers regularly.
IanW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2014, 15:17   #6
DC74
Doh!

DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Slight transparency.. oh yeah like a frosted window more like. What they tell us and what they will actually do I suspect will remain two completely different things. They will still request data en masse but will probably not do it so blatantly or as much.

They will simply move their data acquisition to a more secure facility with people they know they can trust and who are under tighter scrutiny, Better not contract it out again then eh guys?
DC74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edward snowden, gchq, government, nsa, privacy, security, snowden