bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Jan 2014, 10:19   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Apple patents multi-function solar laptop casing

Lines the lid with solar cells for battery boost.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar.../apple-solar/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 10:40   #2
BlackRaven
Freaking printers!

BlackRaven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How do they give a patent based on a document that keeps repeating the word "may"?
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 10:43   #3
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
So, how long before Samsung or another companies develops something similar? Or, Another small unheard of company speaks up and claims they did it first??

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 11:00   #4
raxonb
Multimodder

raxonb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"By charging the battery with battery charging power"...for the hard-of-thinking, fair enough. And for the people who buy anything Apple: "The iBright iLight in the iSky iSends iMagical iInvisible iEnergy iFairies to make your i(Enter product here) switch on and make iSounds and flash iLights"

To Be This Good Takes AGES...
To Be This Good Takes SEGA
raxonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 12:13   #5
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OK so I have never heard of the solar cells being incorporated into a display screen before. So I give apple that. But solar charging portable devices is nothing new. I hope apple don't try and say they have the exclusive patent to solar charge any laptop.
Remember apple, you have patented the specific technology, but you HAVE NOT patented the idea, so please don't try to bully everyone else into paying you silly amounts of money.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 12:56   #6
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
It's a gimmick until solar tech is vastly improved. I'd love to see solar-powered consumer laptops, but the fact is that good solar panels are expensive, fragile and still not good enough.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 13:05   #7
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
if they don't produce this themselves within 5 yrs it should be null and void
Old 29th Jan 2014, 13:16   #8
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Hmm, seems like the Sol Laptop is doing a similar thing, though currently looks like vaourware as nothing's been released to Market yet : http://solaptop.com/en/
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 13:20   #9
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Welcome to the wonderful world of USA patents.

On a different note Samsung and Apple patent 1000s of things a year are we gonna get updates on each and everyone these days?
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 13:27   #10
Stormwulf
A mod to far?

Stormwulf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy
if they don't produce this themselves within 5 yrs it should be null and void
Agreed 100%

I've been saying they should add solar tech to portable devices to extend battery life for years. Not a question of how practical the charge would be in everyday life , more to do with people in areas/situations where they can't get to a power supply for whatever reason in an emergency situation having an alternative method of getting some power into a device to call for aid.
If it were added it would also drive manufacturers to invest in producing more efficient photovoltaic cells which could benefit everyone in the longer term.
Stormwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 13:44   #11
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders
Hmm, seems like the Sol Laptop is doing a similar thing, though currently looks like vaourware as nothing's been released to Market yet : http://solaptop.com/en/
I don't think it is doing anything as anyone can see from that website it's nothing but a rendering of a product that has never and never will reach even prototype stages.

Plus Apple's patent is not for a laptop with a solar panel bolted to it, it's for a crazy gestalt screen combining every bit of tech they have access to at the moment.

They're not going to build this, I don't think they want to even build it. They're just patenting the idea to cover their bases.

Tech companies do this all the damn time. Apple files a lot of 'just in case' patents.

And Apple haters... Apple isn't alone in this! Just because the entire interweb is OBSESSED with Apple and the patents it files and owns, that doesn't mean they are the worst offenders.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 14:36   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
On a different note Samsung and Apple patent 1000s of things a year are we gonna get updates on each and everyone these days?
If they're as interesting and innovative as Apple's proposed multi-function laptop casing, then yes. Yes, you will.

Much like when we told you about Sony's anti-piracy patent, in fact; or Microsoft's AR glasses patent; or its GPU encoding patent; or Apple's anti-jailbreak patent; or HTC's dual-screen patent; or Amazon's boxing videos patent; or Apple's signet patent; or Kaspersky's hardware anti-virus patent; or Samsung's touch-sensitive AMOLED patent; or Microsoft's novel on-screen keyboard patent; or its more annoying advert-based CAPTCHA patent; or Nokia's controller fabric patent; or... Well, you get the idea.
Old 29th Jan 2014, 14:44   #13
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Sounds good Gareth.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 15:27   #14
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i'm not an apple hater, I think all patents should have a maximum 5yr development stage, after which if no product is forthcoming, the patent is null and void.
Old 29th Jan 2014, 16:15   #15
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
i'm not an apple hater, I think all patents should have a maximum 5yr development stage, after which if no product is forthcoming, the patent is null and void.
Good idea in principle but who is going to check up on it? What if the product is still in development, and if so, how do you prove progression?
Old 29th Jan 2014, 16:30   #16
sakzzz
Multimodder

sakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thats the fundamental difference between patents granted in USA vs Europe. USA- you can patent a concept whereas here the claim needs to be backed up by physical evidence.
Old 29th Jan 2014, 16:33   #17
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yes I can see laptop users sitting outside in the sun in order to get a little extra battery life...
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 16:34   #18
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienwareAndy View Post
Yes I can see laptop users sitting outside in the sun in order to get a little extra battery life...
Boosts battery life and helps users get their daily dose of vitamin D. What's not to like? Mind you, Apple better bundle some free suncream with each laptop sold - don't want a class action from melanoma sufferers...
Old 30th Jan 2014, 05:14   #19
DC74
Doh!

DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DC74 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Putting Solar panels in the casing of anything isn't an original idea, they've been doing it with Solar powered cars and boats for years. You can hardly patent that as everyone has been doing it. Another idea that apple claims to have invented and will sue anyone to the nth degree to protect.

That company is less about innovation and more about litigation these days. If they spent as much money on R&D as they do on lawyers they might have something more original and inventive to show us.
DC74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2014, 08:43   #20
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC74 View Post
Putting Solar panels in the casing of anything isn't an original idea, they've been doing it with Solar powered cars and boats for years. You can hardly patent that as everyone has been doing it. Another idea that apple claims to have invented and will sue anyone to the nth degree to protect.
Read the patent, or even just the article. Heck, even the title makes it clear that Apple is not simply attempting to patent "a normal thing but with solar panels stuck to it:" "Apple patents multi-function solar laptop casing."

I know it's cool to hate Apple, but this is a genuinely pro-Apple story: the company's come up with an excellent concept. Now, I'm not a fan of patents in general, so there's that, but Apple is hardly alone in patenting every little idea that passes through its R&D department just in case. Hell, I'd buy one - assuming I could afford it, of course...

Tags
apple, laptop, macbook, macbook air, macbook pro, macbook solar, patent, photovoltaic, solar, solar power, uspto