bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Feb 2014, 08:38   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Dungeon Keeper Review

EA's free-to-play shambles has left Rick (Dungeon) Heartbroken.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/apple...eeper-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 08:45   #2
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
and off we go to GOG to get the original.
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 10:11   #3
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
There is a youtube rant masquerading as a review about this freemium game. It gets a bit sweary too, so be careful if you're at work.

They aren't games any more, they are just cash cows for mobile devices.

I have Clash of Clans on my tablet and it's the same deal - you start of with a few gems but everything costs money and takes an increasingly long time to upgrade. Of course, you can buy gems and exchange them for resources (gold, elixir etc..), if you haven't mined a sufficient amount. You can also spend gems to instantly complete an upgrade - but a 24hr upgrade will probably cost you ~ 300 gems to complete, if you don't want to wait.

The pricing of gems is similar to Dungeon Keeper - starting at 2.99 for 500 and ranging up to 64.99 for 14,000.

It is possible to play these games without spending money, but once you get so far into it (not that far to be honest), it is effectively reduced to the equivalent of the old Play By Mail games - you can issue a number of commands and then wait days for something to happen.

If everyone made the effort to avoid these games, or at least avoid paying to progress, maybe the developers will piss off and do something useful.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube

Last edited by Spreadie; 6th Feb 2014 at 19:34. Reason: accuracy
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 10:11   #4
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post
and off we go to GOG to get the original.

Right behind you...
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 10:41   #5
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Time to start coding a Minecraft mod to do this instead....
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 11:28   #6
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think a score of 10 is a little too high.....
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 11:30   #7
exceededgoku
Modder

exceededgoku has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Actually depressing how games have turned into this.

Square gets it right with the Final Fantasy and Chaos Ring series, no stupid mobile cash cow tactics here. Just a high initial cost and a brilliant port.

Won't even spare this game a minute of my time. Terrible.
exceededgoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 11:37   #8
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
That EA did this to Dungeon Keeper = Sad (But not surprising)

That EA will probably still make money from this = Super Sad

I don't understand why companies like EA don't release a free to play game like this with a single IAP set a reasonable amount (5 to 10) that removes all the 'wait to play on' aspects and just allows you to play and enjoy.

That's a lie. I do understand. There's no doubt a LOT of players out there who keep on spending on the IAPs to make such a model worthwhile. I'll never be one of them.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 11:48   #9
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I liked Francis' video on it, 24 hours to mine one block ^^
Old 6th Feb 2014, 12:19   #10
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was looking at the 10 thinking it was 10/10 and wondering why it was so scathing. Of course looked at the score first.

Surely if they added the need to log into origin and then open a browser to log into that so you can launch the game it would make it much better
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 12:32   #11
atlas
Minimodder

atlas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceededgoku
Actually depressing how games have turned into this.

Square gets it right with the Final Fantasy and Chaos Ring series, no stupid mobile cash cow tactics here. Just a high initial cost and a brilliant port.

Won't even spare this game a minute of my time. Terrible.
exactly right, charge for the game if you need to don't create this crap.
atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 13:37   #12
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
such a shame, I have been hoping for a DK game for years, I am very disappointed now
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 13:47   #13
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
It's another step on the journey for EA to finally destroy the gaming industry.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 17:07   #14
TheDarkSide
Modder

TheDarkSide has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO DK!!!!

Seriously there should be a law preventing the damage of precious memories.
TheDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 19:08   #15
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftCarl View Post
such a shame, I have been hoping for a DK game for years, I am very disappointed now
You should look at a game called Dungeons, obviously its not a direct copy of the original but i would venture to say its probably closer to the original than the one reviewed, although saying that when Bit-Tech reviewed it they didn't seem to rate it
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 19:37   #16
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
my most favourite game of all time. ruined.

on a different note, if anyone can get DK1 and DD expansion working on windows 8.1 let me know (had compatability problems with it ever since windows 8)

if anyone can get MULTIPLAYER working on windows 8.1 and can provide info on how, i will have your babies.
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 19:59   #17
Dr. Coin
Minimodder

Dr. Coin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was so excited when I saw the review... loved to first two games. Guess I just got to get up and dust off the old CD collection if I want to to play a DK game.
Dr. Coin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2014, 20:32   #18
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hehe, DK2 and DK Gold are sitting at the top of GOG's best sellers right now..
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2014, 03:29   #19
Lockinvar
Minimodder

Lockinvar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For anyone interested (and equally appalled by this EA drivel) there was a successful kickstarter for a spiritual sequel supported by Peter Molyneux - War for the Overworld. It's taking longer than anticipated (as usual) but progress is constant - and it's on steam early access already in a very playable beta form.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-the-overworld
http://store.steampowered.com/app/230190/
Lockinvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2014, 05:58   #20
Draksis
Code Monkey

Draksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockinvar View Post
For anyone interested (and equally appalled by this EA drivel) there was a successful kickstarter for a spiritual sequel supported by Peter Molyneux - War for the Overworld. It's taking longer than anticipated (as usual) but progress is constant - and it's on steam early access already in a very playable beta form.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-the-overworld
http://store.steampowered.com/app/230190/
I bought that ages ago, and it's still very rough. I would say it's sitting some where between Alpha and Beta versions now. The Developers have said that they are nearly done with the multiplayer component, and they are working on new content all the time.

Back on topic: I was wondering if Bit-tech weren't being a bit harsh with 10%, then I saw this: Metacritic review page.

I know Metacritic is not exactly the perfect yard stick, but still does make you realise just how angry people feel about it..
Draksis is offline   Reply With Quote