bit-tech.net

Old 12th Feb 2014, 09:15   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Nidhogg Review

Nidhogg is a delightful, if somewhat thin, 2D duelling game.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...dhogg-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2014, 09:45   #2
guvnar
Modder

guvnar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just watched this on youtube and it certainly looks a riot!!!
guvnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2014, 11:06   #3
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Picked this up last week, the review pretty much gets it spot on. It's a lot of fun, but a bit limited. Still I think it was definitely worth the price given how it'll make for a great LAN meetup type game, get a few people around and play a king of the hill style tournament or something (like Corridor Digital did).
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2014, 13:40   #4
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeK is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role View Post
Still I think it was definitely worth the price
That's interesting as I actually read the review before looking at the price and thought that it seemed a bit steep personally when I went back to look at it... Admittedly I'm going by these pictures and this review only but there you go - might pick it up at some point in the future perhaps...
Keyboards: Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds | White Filco TKL - Browns | Filco MiniLA - Browns | Poker w/Plate, Alu Case - Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears | Cherry G80-3000 - Browns | Cherry G80-3700 w/Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears | IBM Model M SSK - Bolt & Floss Modded | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2014, 15:00   #5
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role View Post
Still I think it was definitely worth the price
That's interesting as I actually read the review before looking at the price and thought that it seemed a bit steep personally when I went back to look at it... Admittedly I'm going by these pictures and this review only but there you go - might pick it up at some point in the future perhaps...
It really depends on a lot of other factors mind. I like to work on the principle of "how much play time and enjoyment do I gain from this purchase". I've personally played Nidhogg for probably only 2-3 hours max. But I know that I will be playing it with friends at LAN/gaming meets etc. Given it'll probably occupy 6-8 of us for an hour maybe, then the time really adds up as you only need one copy to play multiplayer (no real advantage to having more than that). So using my good ol' metric it starts to become really decent value. This is especially the case when you compare it to a board game, £12 would barely get you a half decent one (with many ranging from £30-50+).

So if you're likely to be in that kind of situation, it's a good buy. But if you're just going to play some solo and maybe a bit of the online multiplayer, then it's a pretty steep price IMO. The mechanics are good though.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2014, 01:58   #6
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excellent game, and the review shares my sentiments.

The game does cost too much, is very barebones, and four levels barely scrapes by with enough variety for a session with a friend. And at that, the cloud level is ****ing atrocious.

The controls feel very fluid, but there are just a couple of minor annoyances that stop it from being perfect. For example, if I stab normally, but then want to throw my sword, I would expect holding up during the animation and nailing "attack" to throw the sword the instant the attack animation is done. It does not, you just end up standing there stabbing as your opponent legs it. You have to literally do nothing for a fraction of a second after the animation before it realises what you want to do.

Other than that it just sometimes feels like it is not doing what your experience with the game suggests it should be doing. This very rarely happens (more often with the controller than KB/M), but does sort of feel like you were robbed of a kill/suffered a cheap death.

Some small tweaks to the controls, and at least another four maps would about make this game worth the asking price. But as it stands I would honestly wait for a half price sale or the like. Hopefully we see some of this in the future as patches or what not.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote