bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Feb 2014, 15:26   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel updates NUC for better Linux support

New BIOS solves Debian boot issues.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...el-nuc-linux/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2014, 15:39   #2
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Well this would have been pretty awesome a few months ago. Originally tried Linux on it back then but found that the sound over HDMI (important as that's the only output...) was borked. Ended up sticking a copy of windows 8 on it to get things over and done with, CBA to replace everything now that it's all installed.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2014, 16:52   #3
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
You'd think Intel would've fixed something like this before releasing the product, considering its better suited for linux anyway.

I would be a lot more inclined to like these NUC boards if their price point and board layouts were better. In most cases, I'd rather go with a cortex-A15 board - they're typically cheaper, are more power efficient, slimmer, can run with passive cooling, better GPUs, and while they have less features overall, are easier to work with. I'm sure an A15 CPU is a little worse than what Intel NUC boards offer, but buying one of these platforms for processing power is a stupid approach anyway.
Old 13th Feb 2014, 22:13   #4
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Problem with ARM is GPU support under Linux. Safest way is to go with a Freescale SoC as they fully release their documentation (helping to have good drivers).

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2014, 22:19   #5
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
Problem with ARM is GPU support under Linux. Safest way is to go with a Freescale SoC as they fully release their documentation (helping to have good drivers).
I'd say the REAL problem is the fact that most of the GPUs are only GLES compatible. Freescale and Nvidia are the only companies I'm aware of that support good 'ol openGL, and the Vivante GL support is pretty crappy. I think the real worst issue with ARM is you can't use package maintained kernels, which is a headache in terms of drivers.
Old 13th Feb 2014, 22:56   #6
Jimbob
Modder

Jimbob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm sure literally several people will be pleased by this.
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debian, intel, intel nuc, linux, nuc, steam box, steam machine, steam os, ubuntu, valve