bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Feb 2014, 12:44   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thief launches without AMD Mantle, TrueAudio support

Patch due in March, says Eidos.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-amd-support/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 12:51   #2
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Dont know wether im shocked or not surprised at all, Will all Mantle games require a patch addon.

Would of thought this was built from the ground up around Mantle as its a AMD sponsored game.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 12:54   #3
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
WOW another game that launches without Mantle support out of the box.

Although Mantle appears to be worthwhile to people, I cannot help but laugh everytime I hear of delays about it.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 13:23   #4
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I got bored of waiting for AMD, Nvidia got my money.

If they would just learn to manage expectations a bit better instead of giving the impression they are going to transform the world of gaming, then I'd be a lot more forgiving.
Old 25th Feb 2014, 13:54   #5
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
If they would just learn to manage expectations a bit better instead of giving the impression they are going to transform the world of gaming, then I'd be a lot more forgiving.
That's the biggest problem to all of the AMD fans. The AMD PR department must be on crack as every single pr release for the last ten years have been a total let down at best or bare faced lie at worst.

This however is probably just a case of the game starting development before Mantle specs or details were sent to the developers.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 14:00   #6
SAimNE
Multimodder

SAimNE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
really getting annoyed about this x.x. mantle seems like it'd be completely awesome if it gains the proper momentum, but every announcement of delay is going to decrease that momentum. hopefully the other companies will put more effort into it's integration otherwise it might just halfway fade out and never get the spotlight. T_T
SAimNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 14:42   #7
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD if the latest results that daily tech posted are accurate are loosing ground to intel and nvidia in gpus. You wonder how much delays like this influence potential buyers for there gpus. That and the crypto craze in America making there cards a lot more expensive. You can get 2 780s for 1 r290 in USA at today's nuts pricing.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 15:02   #8
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hmm more duct tape for the obligatory ghetto patch.

Mind you, let's face facts here, DX11 was exactly the same when it launched. It was only really Dirt 2 that came with it natively (others were patched in like F3AR and Crysis 2) and it was discovered that most of the effects in Dirt 2 were actually DX 10 and could be hacked into life.

The Tessellation left a lot to be desired really.
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 15:09   #9
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Eidos recommends an AMD Radeon R9 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 series GPU for best performance
Hardly optimised for AMD hardware then, wonder if the recommended specs will be lowered when Mantle patch comes out?
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 15:51   #10
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
pulling numbers completely out of the air, here, but supposing the market split is skewed in favour of nVidia, so that the ratio of GeForce to Radeon is 2:1 (I can't access Steam survey results at work). Even if Eidos were paid a lot of money to use Mantle, and excluding the development time needed to implement it, wouldn't it be an odd use of resources to delay a game release in order to implement a feature that only 33% of your customers could use?

Also, isn't Mantle only of use to AMD card beyond a certain model/gen? Wouldn't that therefore reduce the number of potential customers who would benefit even further?

It would be like Microsoft delaying the release of Windows 8 so that they could fully implement touchscreen control for the initial release even thought the number of touchscreen models in the market is tiny.... wait... bad example.... ;-P
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 16:02   #11
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
That whole statement from Eidos reads more like a polite version of "AMD missed their deadlines".

+1 on managing expectations - a little less hype and a little more substance.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 16:11   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder View Post
pulling numbers completely out of the air, here, but supposing the market split is skewed in favour of nVidia, so that the ratio of GeForce to Radeon is 2:1 (I can't access Steam survey results at work).
Not a terrible guess: Nvidia had 52.01%, AMD 31.36%, Intel 16.25% and 'others' 0.38% as of January 2014.
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 16:28   #13
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder View Post
pulling numbers completely out of the air, here, but supposing the market split is skewed in favour of nVidia, so that the ratio of GeForce to Radeon is 2:1 (I can't access Steam survey results at work).
Not a terrible guess: Nvidia had 52.01%, AMD 31.36%, Intel 16.25% and 'others' 0.38% as of January 2014.
I remember reading it's something like 10% that can actually use mantle. Clearly it takes a fair amount of dev effort. That's why it's never going to go mainstream - only 1 in 10 can use it, and most of them would prefer them to fix the other bugs in the game first before worrying about mantle. Yet if they did that it would arrive 6+ months after release, by which point hardly anyone would care.
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 17:06   #14
SimoomiZ
Modder

SimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAimNE View Post
really getting annoyed about this x.x. mantle seems like it'd be completely awesome if it gains the proper momentum, but every announcement of delay is going to decrease that momentum. hopefully the other companies will put more effort into it's integration otherwise it might just halfway fade out and never get the spotlight. T_T
Agree entirely .

It needed to come with a popular title, at launch(even one with SP only), work flawlessly out of the box. And "ridicule" [AMD's words] its competitor's performance.

These botched / semi botched launches aren't giving the right impression, for what is surely the future of gaming.
Because using brute force and high end CPU /GPU combinations to overcome DirectX 's many inherent problems and limitations, clearly is an idiotic strategy going forward. And as we've seen already ,with Mantle matching or beating DX;all while demanding a fraction of the CPU overhead, it's more efficient with a lower power draw.

Last edited by SimoomiZ; 25th Feb 2014 at 19:25.
SimoomiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 17:09   #15
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hmm well I don't think it's entirely AMD's fault nor problem.

Mantle itself is done and ready. Just because game devs are now torn between DX11 and Mantle isn't AMD's fault. What I mean is, until they code a game for Mantle from the ground up then it's going to be a bit crap.

And with Thief they obviously haven't. DX came first, Mantle as the sloppy afterthought.
Old 25th Feb 2014, 17:23   #16
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienwareAndy
Hmm well I don't think it's entirely AMD's fault nor problem.

Mantle itself is done and ready. Just because game devs are now torn between DX11 and Mantle isn't AMD's fault. What I mean is, until they code a game for Mantle from the ground up then it's going to be a bit crap.

And with Thief they obviously haven't. DX came first, Mantle as the sloppy afterthought.
I think the development of Thief came before Mantle to be honest. Hence, it is AMD's fault for trying to say it will be Mantle ready when they hadn't given the developers enough time to "port" it to use Mantle.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 17:29   #17
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
As I've said previously, Mantle is one for the future, not one for the present. As Andy says, it'll need devs giving proper attention to Mantle before it really shows what it can do.
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2014, 17:35   #18
AlienwareAndy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
I think the development of Thief came before Mantle to be honest. Hence, it is AMD's fault for trying to say it will be Mantle ready when they hadn't given the developers enough time to "port" it to use Mantle.
Then Eidos wanted in for the sales? They've released it !

No doubt AMD were told it would be ready because they were showing it off a few weeks back.

Either way I don't think it's anything to panic over tbh.

"It's gonna take tiiiime, a whole lot of precious time, it's gonna take patience and time.. Ahhh, to do it to do it etc"
Old 26th Feb 2014, 02:28   #19
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Dont know wether im shocked or not surprised at all, Will all Mantle games require a patch addon.

Would of thought this was built from the ground up around Mantle as its a AMD sponsored game.
It's been in development since 09: HD 6000 era.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2014, 11:05   #20
technogiant
Supermodder

technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.technogiant is definitely a rep cheat.
I switched from green to red swept along on the crest of the PR wave created about Mantle.....this is very disappointing.....delays and very variable performance improvements are going to kill uptake.

If things don't pan out this will be the very very last time I go red.......fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!
technogiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
api, eidos, mantle, pc game, pc gaming, thief, true audio, valerie bourdeau