bit-tech.net

Old 28th Feb 2014, 10:38   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Banished Review

Banished is a city-building game that's big on structures but lacking in humanity.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...ished-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2014, 11:23   #2
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
I think that's a fair review. I find the lack of progression in the game a bit disappointing, I never felt like I was working towards anything, except a more complicated system with no real tech benefits. Essentially, I would have used a more normal tech tree for this game. Worth 15? No way. A fiver? yeah probably.

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2014, 11:51   #3
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Balanced review. I'm a bit disappointed in the game as I've been following it's development for ages and really wanted it to be brilliant.

I haven't really given it much time though, mainly because it's UI which already is fond of small buttons becomes truly microscopic when you run it on a 'retina' HiDPI display at native res. If I'm going to play a game that is hard work to love then I want to do it kicked back on the sofa not at my super ergonomic standing desk.

He'll keep improving it though and has mod tools on the development list. Give it another six months or so and I think it might be worthy of a second visit review.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2014, 14:29   #4
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
Balanced review. I'm a bit disappointed in the game as I've been following it's development for ages and really wanted it to be brilliant.

I haven't really given it much time though, mainly because it's UI which already is fond of small buttons becomes truly microscopic when you run it on a 'retina' HiDPI display at native res. If I'm going to play a game that is hard work to love then I want to do it kicked back on the sofa not at my super ergonomic standing desk.

He'll keep improving it though and has mod tools on the development list. Give it another six months or so and I think it might be worthy of a second visit review.
I thought I read that gameplay expansions were not coming? Only a port to Mac and Linux, plus a mod kit?

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2014, 16:57   #5
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmartin
I thought I read that gameplay expansions were not coming? Only a port to Mac and Linux, plus a mod kit?
Exactly. Assuming the mod-kit is any good I think we'll see a few tweaks to gameplay. He has said:

Quote:
I would love to see mods that extend the game. I can think of so many directions to take Banished that I can't do them all myself but I think the community could do some amazing things with it
But...

Quote:
there are some things the modkit won't be able to do. You won't be able to change behaviors or add new ones, and you can't make new UI behaviors. You can't make soldiers that fight off packs of wolves or change the AI of the people, or change the deer simulation. All that is in C++ code, and at the moment I don't have a good way to allow plug-ins with new code to extend the functionality. This is something I'm considering, but I haven't really examined the effort or implications this sort of code change would require.
So even without the ability to patch the core AI routines (Behaviours and route-finding etc), I'd say it's 'hopeful' we'll see lots of options on how the game can be played in the future.
Old 28th Feb 2014, 20:07   #6
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Sounds exactly like "Settlers III", only they were cute to look at.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2014, 14:04   #7
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Sounds like someone got their handouts cut recently.
Coolermaster 690 II Advanced (white edition) | i5-2500K | MSI P67-GD53 | MSI GTX580 | 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 1.5V | Gelid Tranquillo | Asus Xonar DS | 700W Coolermaster Silent Pro M | Corsair Force Series 3 60GB | Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 17:58   #8
PaulC2K
Star Citizen

PaulC2K has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere

That middle paragraph came across as a right load of waffle. Moan moan, its hard to see on my small screen device, moan moan, i ?want? to play a challenging city builder which is always going to require KB+M on a sofa!?
Maybe if you'd spent as much time looking in the options, as you have supposedly following it or moaning about wanting to play it in stupid ways, you'd have spotted theres a slider for the UI, so you can play on your "'retina' HiDPI display at native res" just fine, just as i do... without the need to imply its an issue with the game.

The game is better than 60%, but this is Bit-Tech so i guess that makes it more like an 80%. Its pretty much what a lot of city builders have been crying out for, a game where it is a challenge, its not a case of just having the money to expand, you have to consider so many factors and the consequence of your decisions, because it can ultimately end up killing half the population and becoming very hard to turn things around again. Its not perfect, it could have more building options, but i dont think it makes it limited because of what it has.
Im looking forward to the mods people make, should be fun.
PaulC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 21:08   #9
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC2K
Moan moan, its hard to see on my small screen device, moan moan, i ?want? to play a challenging city builder which is always going to require KB+M on a sofa!?
Calm down. You sure got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. I don't see anything wrong with playing this sort of a game using a decent laptop trackpad, and would much rather play and experiment while comfortably sitting down with a glass of wine rather than standing at the same desk I've been at for the best part of twelve hours. It was a comment, not a 'moan'.

But thanks for the tip on the UI size slider though. Good to know.
Old 2nd Mar 2014, 22:04   #10
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC2K View Post
The game is better than 60%, but this is Bit-Tech so i guess that makes it more like an 80%.
Unless you consider 50% average, middle of the road, OK, etc. Then 60% would make it better than average/good. IGN gave it 8.3, so yea by normal review standards above average/good.
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 15:49   #11
demastes
What's a Dremel?

demastes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is on ym steam wishlist. may just have to stay there for a few more months until..

a) steam sale
b) mods!
demastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Mar 2014, 13:05   #12
himaro101
What's a Dremel?

himaro101 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
personally, I'm really enjoying the game.
It's nice and calm to play, I am enjoying trying to keep a rapid expansion of my city going without starving everyone.
In a way, it's a little like stronghold, without the strongholds.
I would like it if there was a little bit more depth but everyone seems to be forgetting, this is a one man job.
I'm currently on my 3rd settlement and it's the most successful yet, broke 230 citizens before i had a disastrous harvest (thanks to 2 fields getting infested and then an early cold snap that killed most my crops) which led to a lot of starvation and the need for another graveyard...
himaro101 is offline   Reply With Quote