bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Mar 2014, 09:54   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II OC Review

We look at ASUS's DirectCU II R9 290, featuring a custom PCB, custom cooler and factory overclock.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...ii-oc-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 10:02   #2
Kodongo
Multimodder

Kodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run Crysis
Nice review. This seems like a great card for great value for anyone who lives outside of the US and Canada! (Sorry North Americans).
Intel Core i7-2600k | Noctua NH-C14 | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | Asus P8P67-M Pro | Samsung 8GB 30nm | Samsung 830 256GB | WD Black 1.5TB + 1TB | Seasonic X-660 | Dell U2412M | Ducky Shine III (Brown) | Asus RT-N66U
Kodongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 12:00   #3
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Would it fit in a Corsair 250D?

I thought I saw somewhere that the heat pipes on these CU models make them too high...although the ones on this don't seem to protrude as much as some others I've seen , maybe they've had a design revision???
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 13:53   #4
tozsam
Multimodder

tozsam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
which other modified cards whould have the extra power components on them. The cooler doesn't matter to me as I intend to watercool, I just want the best components for overclocking
tozsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 14:22   #5
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bought one of these for my little brother's build a few days ago. It also happened to be the cheapest 290 I could find at the time, which made it even more wonderful.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 16:50   #6
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
It looks like there's enough room from the pics I've seen but I don't have the 250D in the labs anymore so I can't say for sure, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozsam
which other modified cards whould have the extra power components on them. The cooler doesn't matter to me as I intend to watercool, I just want the best components for overclocking
It varies from board partner to board partner. Most partners have a pure reference version, which won't be modified. Then some of the custom cooled ones will use the standard power components, while some (like Asus here) will use their own modified ones. And naturally each one that uses their own will tell you their components are better than the rest. As for the Asus range, both DirectCU II R9 290 versions (the OC and the non-OC one) use the customised power circuitry. Custom PCBs may mean that standard waterblocks won't fit, however, so bear that in mind as well!
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 17:07   #7
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Antony has measured the distance between the top of the PCI bracket mount and the roof and says it's at least 45mm. And by my own measurements the Asus card extends about 40mm past the edge of the PCI bracket at the tallest point on the heat pipe, so I think you're just in the clear.

Also, going by the specs on the Asus website, this card is 1.5 inches taller than the reference card (which doesn't extend past the PCI bracket edge at all) and 1.5 inches = 38.1mm

Hope that helps!
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 18:01   #8
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Is it just my poor eyes, or are only three of heatpipes making contact with the core ?
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 18:11   #9
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42
Is it just my poor eyes, or are only three of heatpipes making contact with the core ?
Nope, you're right. Derp, sorry, fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 18:50   #10
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert666
Quote:
Hope that helps!
Thanks for that....I'm a bit paranoid about being 100% certain that parts will fit before buying.

Nothing gives you that sinking feeling quite like unboxing a new piece of hardware only to realise it doesn't fit and your now in 'Returns policy' hell for the next 2-3wks.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 18:51   #11
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert666 View Post
Nope, you're right. Derp, sorry, fixed now! Thanks for pointing it out.
Sorry i didn't mean that to come across as information lacking from the review, it was just me vocalising a wonderment of how much better it would perform if they all made contact, or would it not make a noticeable difference.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 21:12   #12
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42
Sorry i didn't mean that to come across as information lacking from the review, it was just me vocalising a wonderment of how much better it would perform if they all made contact, or would it not make a noticeable difference.
No worries - I'm just surprised I missed it since I took the thing apart and took photos too! It is strange that they don't all make contact, I guess they found it was better to use thicker heat pipes where only three make contact rather than five thinner ones.