bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Mar 2014, 10:14   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nvidia ends support for DirectX 10 GPUs

GeForce 8 and 9 series reach end-of-life.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...dia-dx10-eol/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 10:53   #2
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Can't say I blame them. They release cards like chit through a goose so supporting all of them with one driver must be a right old Peter.

AMD ended support for the DX10 cards they made a while back too, removing any Crossfire support in later drivers.

I still think GPU producers should have separate teams of devs writing drivers for one specific core format (IE Kepler, Fermi etc).
AlienwareAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 13:16   #3
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The GTX 280 was one of the first products I reviewed at bit-tech, and I still have bit's old GTX 275 collecting dust on a shelf. Goodbye old soldiers.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 13:44   #4
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
The GTX 280 was one of the first products I reviewed at bit-tech, and I still have bit's old GTX 275 collecting dust on a shelf. Goodbye old soldiers.
I'm still running a 250GTS!
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 13:52   #5
AlienwareAndy
Banned

AlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlienwareAndy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
They were utter crap.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 14:22   #6
Gundam God
Minimodder

Gundam God has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Still running an 8800 GT GS. Still don't have any real reason to upgrade yet though I might update the drivers soon, can't actually remember the last time I did that.
Gundam God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 14:46   #7
bawjaws
Hypermodder

bawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyanbawjaws is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My 8800GT died of old age about a year ago. That was an awesome card, would still happily be running it now had it not expired
bawjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 15:14   #8
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
If any of you are using linux, they simply moved the DX10 cards to their "legacy" drivers. They still update those drivers, just not as frequently. So, if you'd like to keep using those GPUs in the years to come, this would be a good opportunity to give linux a shot. You're obviously most likely going to get a better experience with newer GPUs but linux works very nicely with nvidia. In fact they still support the GeForce 6 and 7 series.

I personally still own a 7900GTO, but it's currently in a staticproof bag sitting in a shelf. I wish it was CUDA compatible, because it'd make a great GPGPU - the core is still pretty good even for today's standards but 256MB of VRAM really isn't enough to play games, but sufficeint for non-gaming purposes.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 16:22   #9
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
Still use my BFG 8800 in a back up/emergency PC, I bought it new £140 and fitted a Zalman heatsink/fan to it, played over a 1000 hours of Oblivion with it, brilliant card, completely useless for today's AAA games of course but, Ah, the memories.

Skulduggery - case mod

Motorcycle Action Group. The Right to Ride.
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 18:49   #10
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The only surprise to me is that they haven't discontinued them sooner - probably console ports were propping up the driver support?

I always perceived DX10 as bit of a mis-fire, not a massive jump over DX9, so not invested in, DX11 adding tesselation allowed console ports to be easier on the eyes, we'll finally say goodbye to DX9 games over the next 12-18mths though in favour for DX11 console ports....which should keep us going for the next 4 years lol.
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 18:53   #11
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverik-sg1 View Post
The only surprise to me is that they haven't discontinued them sooner - probably console ports were propping up the driver support?

I always perceived DX10 as bit of a mis-fire, not a massive jump over DX9, so not invested in, DX11 adding tesselation allowed console ports to be easier on the eyes, we'll finally say goodbye to DX9 games over the next 12-18mths though in favour for DX11 console ports....which should keep us going for the next 4 years lol.
I too am surprised they haven't done this sooner. The reason DX10 was a mis-fire is because MS didn't release DX10 for Windows XP, and, ATI took a relatively long time to add the support for it. Also, consoles didn't support the technology that DX10 offered so that also didn't really help much.

DX11 worked out because people were actually willing to switch to Windows 7 and the hardware performance was a big enough jump over the DX10 generation products. But, even DX11 is relatively uncommon.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 19:21   #12
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
I hate Nvidia drivers, I have to go way back to 314.22 for a driver that doesn't try to murder my GTX 560 Tis but doing that means I can't use SLI in some games.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 19:31   #13
AlienwareAndy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverik-sg1 View Post
They had done it sooner, just not officially. When BF3 launched I was running a triple screen Quad SLI PC (two GTZ 295 single PCB). BF3 did a lot of this....

I mean the shadows of course. So I waited for a fix. And waited, and waited. Nvidia just said that they pretty much couldn't be assed with older cards.

Not nice if I'd paid over five hundred notes per card and this wasn't even two years into their lifespan. Thankfully each card cost me peanuts but I was still rather cross over it.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 22:16   #14
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've got a perfectly functional GTX 275 laying about. It's got the oddball 768 MB of RAM. Last time I hooked it up was when I was first playing around with SLI with my 550s. Used the 275 as a dedicated PhysX card. Took it out when I dropped the 660s in.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2014, 23:03   #15
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc View Post
I've got a perfectly functional GTX 275 laying about. It's got the oddball 768 MB of RAM. Last time I hooked it up was when I was first playing around with SLI with my 550s. Used the 275 as a dedicated PhysX card. Took it out when I dropped the 660s in.
If you have another PCIe slot you can still use it for physx. You don't need matching GPUs to accomplish this.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 23:15   #16
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Still running a GT320 and a 7800GT here.

Of course, the only game I play is World of Tanks, and while I could use an upgrade, it's not a priority.
Old 14th Mar 2014, 23:34   #17
SimoomiZ
Modder

SimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for president
The joys of proprietary DX + driver model.

Having a locked down proprietary model allows a company to degrade performance in the latest drivers artificially... or end support altogether - despite the fully unified shader GPU microarchitectures being similar, there's no reason for G80 cards to become totally obsolete.
SimoomiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2014, 01:30   #18
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
If you have another PCIe slot you can still use it for physx. You don't need matching GPUs to accomplish this.
Maybe, but many a benchmark says you'll get the best performance by allowing the physx (when you're actually playing game that has some) run on the main card(s).

/JustSayin
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2014, 09:09   #19
Pookie
FHRITP!

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I thought they already would have done this ages ago! AMD stopped updating it's DX10 cards atleast 18 months back.
Fractal R4/ GA-X58A-UD3R / Corsair RM850/ Westmere Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz Hex core / Corsair H60 (2013 Model) with 2 x Corsair SP120 / Corsair Force GT 120 SSD /Sapphire R9 290X / 12GB (3x4GB)Corsair Dominator 1600mhz with Airflow Kit / AOC i2757fm 27" IPS Monitor/ Razer Lachesis.
Rotel RA-02 Amplifier/ B&W DM601 S3/ QED XT350 With Airlock plugs/All QED Interconnects.

http://www.compucare.co.uk/
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2014, 10:42   #20
AlienwareAndy
Banned

Guys the Physx PPU seems to react to clock speed. So, putting a GTX 275 in as a Physx card when you are running a 1100mhz Kepler is a waste of time. It'll simply slow you down.

It seems Nvidia have piped the PPU onto the die itself, making it better with a better core (if that makes sense). I tried this theory a couple of years back and you were literally just adding a spare furnace to your rig for no gains whatsoever.

If you run SLI then setting it to the second GPU did seem to help matters, rather than letting the master GPU do all the work.

Tags
directx 10, driver, end of life, geforce, gpu, graphics card, nvidia, quadro, support, tesla