bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Mar 2014, 12:06   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Crucial M550 SSD 512GB Review

The M550 SSDs update Crucial's mainstream range and bring improved performance with them.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...512gb-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2014, 16:44   #2
exceededgoku
Modder

exceededgoku has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SSD's are starting to hit a wall now, performance is creeping up rather than jumping.

Wonder when/if we'll start seeing more significant gains anytime soon or an increase of life? 40GB per day is easy to use if it's used for a DB, cache, etc.
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v after droop)- worst C2D ever | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 @ 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | Sapphire 512MB X1900XTX @ 689/774 | Enermax Liberty 620W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | Dell 2005FPW
exceededgoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2014, 20:34   #3
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceededgoku View Post
SSD's are starting to hit a wall now, performance is creeping up rather than jumping.
Sata Express is coming soon* which will remove some of the current performance limitations.

*whenever Intel gets around to launching new cpus / chipsets with it.

But until then the price war going on between the M500 and the 840 Evo just renders all other consumer ssds pointless, just my 2 cents.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2014, 03:59   #4
jedh
Minimodder

jedh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They're not the only ones offering largish capacities at increasingly cheaper price points, there's at least 2 others now (who are also major nand fabs like samsung & micron) who are starting to do the same, but with SSD's that have markedly better perf. or reliability characteristics all-up. Sandisk (Extreme II) being just one of them...

Last edited by jedh; 21st Mar 2014 at 14:54.
jedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2014, 14:49   #5
brave758
Ultramodder

brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.
ooo baby some of these in raid 0
brave758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 15:17   #6
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceededgoku View Post
...or an increase of life? 40GB per day is easy to use if it's used for a DB, cache, etc.
I'm finding TheTechReport's experiment on SSD endurance interesting in this respect. They've written 600TB of data to the SSDs in the test and only the Samsung 840 (based on TLC NAND) has shown any signs of failure, and that was after 100TB (correction: 300TB) of writes. The rest, based on MLC flash, are still going strong. I think I've written about 10TB to my Corsair Neutron, so hope to use it for years (and more builds) to come.

Last edited by pbryanw; 22nd Mar 2014 at 18:04.
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 15:50   #7
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
reading that , they *think* the 840 will hit 1PB of writes before it fails , whereas the MLC based will cruise past that
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 16:16   #8
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
How does this relate to the everyday user?

I mean how much data on average would I write to an SSD, if I'm not writing anywhere near the levels they are suggesting then whatever SSD I choose to buy is going to last well past any warranty.

Also are they just using one example of each drive?

If do they may just have a bad 840.

I'm trying to decide which SSD to buy to replace my 830 and was leaning towards the 840 evo but I'm not sure now.
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 16:51   #9
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapBag View Post
How does this relate to the everyday user?

I mean how much data on average would I write to an SSD, if I'm not writing anywhere near the levels they are suggesting then whatever SSD I choose to buy is going to last well past any warranty.

Also are they just using one example of each drive?

If do they may just have a bad 840.

I'm trying to decide which SSD to buy to replace my 830 and was leaning towards the 840 evo but I'm not sure now.
I suspect that the take-away is don't worry about SSD reliability, it's fine.
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 17:37   #10
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yeh that was what I was kinda leaning towards
CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2014, 18:01   #11
Speed
I'm all you need!

Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave758 View Post
ooo baby some of these in raid 0
Raid 0 is pretty much a waste of time with SSDs. Good for benchmarks, some very specific applications, but that is about it.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2014, 00:30   #12
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Raid 0 is pretty much a waste of time with SSDs. Good for benchmarks, some very specific applications, but that is about it.
Agreed, not really worth the headache that comes with Raid 0, especially once you consider that the lower capacity versions are often slower than the larger capacity ones, so 2x 128GB SSDs may actually leave you with worse performance than 1x 256GB.
Also with the 840 Evo you loose the mind boggling speed courtesy of Rapid Mode as you can't use it in Raid.

Although considering the price of the 960GB M500 one might get tempted to drop a couple of them in Raid 0 for the capacity and go SSD only...
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2014, 11:20   #13
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapBag
The 840 Evo is a fine drive, and I've seen some excellent pricing for it recently too. You'll be well served.

It's only enterprise or seriously heavy users that need to worry about the endurance of modern SSDs. 10GB/day is often quoted as the average, but many will use a lot less than that. Chances are that if your workload is such that you need to worry about it, you'd already know.
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2014, 12:04   #14
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
prices are very volatile right now - don't think it`ll be too long before they head south - again
Old 26th Mar 2014, 11:29   #15
exceededgoku
Modder

exceededgoku has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got some Sandisk Extremes in RAID0, well 6 using an Areca 1882ix raid controller with 4GB cache. And I can say you don't notice the performance increase day to day, games load faster and things install incredibly quick but I don't use them for anything other than non critical data (keep downloads linked to another 2TB mechanical).

I had seen that article, interesting stuff.

What I should do really is just put everything on the SSD's and use torrents/newsgroups/etc to simulate heavy usage and see how long it realistically lasts but I'm not confident enough yet!
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v after droop)- worst C2D ever | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 @ 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | Sapphire 512MB X1900XTX @ 689/774 | Enermax Liberty 620W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | Dell 2005FPW
exceededgoku is offline   Reply With Quote