1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Black Water - Assembling the AIO 22.05.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dk_vr, 20 Mar 2014.

1. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Hello everybody,
    For the last few days I’ve decided to do a new project called Black Water.
    It will be a small modding project featuring the biggest and probably the best AIO water cooling from the SilverStone Tundra series - Tundra TD02 which was sponsored by SilverStone.

The idea of the project is to improve the overall SilverStone Tundra TD02 appearance and performance. If this will happen, we will find out in next few pages, which will come very soon.

Sponsors:

[​IMG]

Before I start I want to share some details. As typical for me, there is no scheme, no drawings, no lasers . Everything is in my head and will be build by hand on the move.

So lets get started:

[​IMG]

First thing to do after I took the AIO water cooling out of the package was to remove all of the additional parts from the radiator.

[​IMG]

Of course next step was to cut and remove the original FEP tubes...

[​IMG]

Next step was to remove the tubes from the waterblock too.

[​IMG]

And this is what both the radiator and the waterblock looks without the flexible connection between them...

[​IMG]

Pretty nice...

Before I continue with the project it will be nice to know the inner diameter of the tubes, since I will definitely need new ones, probably transparent.

[​IMG]

I will stop here, to process the ideas in my head... Stay tuned..

Last edited: 22 May 2014
  2. DarkSable

DarkSable What's a Dremel?

Just out of curiosity, why are you taking a far weaker prebuilt all in one and modding it, rather than using an Apogee Drive II and custom parts?

3. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

I'm actually quite liking that TD02.

4. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the good question.
    I will try to explain myself...

1. In my country parts for the custom water cooling are not so populated and a bit expensive.
    2. I don't have experience with custom water cooling and to be honest this is my first attempt to enter in that part of the cooling methods.
    3. I already have Tundra TD02 in stock which was provided by SilverStone
    4. Everybody is doing custom water cooling loops. I've decided to try improve the premade AIOs :)

Me too. This AIO is really different than the others on the market. I love the radiator and especially the full metal waterblock. The only thing which doesn't really according to my taste is the black/white colour scheme. So let's fix that :dremel:

Last edited: 21 Mar 2014
  5. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

I believe it is time for a small update…

After I finished disconnect the radiator and the waterblock i decided to go further and disassemble the waterblock too and prepare it for the next step of this project.

First thing to do was to remove the top cover of the block.

[​IMG]

And this is what the pump looks from behind…

[​IMG]

And removed from the waterblock…

[​IMG]

And this is what all parts looks whe removed from the block.

[​IMG]

With this I can continue my work on the waterblock itself.

Stay tuned :)

6. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

that is actually the alphacool mini motor they are using. i believe it is the same as coolermaster is using in their cpu cooler. i always thought these blocks held a laing type water pump. thanks for the nice pics ;)

7. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

No problem. I am glad my project helped you with information.

Now it is time for update...

[​IMG]

After I succeeded to dissasemble the water block I sanded it a bit and prepared it for painting. I believe black glossy will be best for this waterblock and overall for the project.

[​IMG]

The block and the cap painted and ready for assembling.

Lets check the other parts. Next pictures will be a bit to much for some people and especially the golden colour but later you will find out why Black/Golden.

[​IMG]

Assembling time..

[​IMG]

The radiator painting – completed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Mar 2014
  8. DarkSable

DarkSable What's a Dremel?

Ooh, I actually rather like the gold, and that's a very nice job you've done fitting those pieces to the radiator.

Anodized aluminium, right?

Also, those barbs are bloody tiny - have you considered modding the radiator to accept normal GK-1/4 threaded barbs? It might be worth it, if for nothing else than the ability to use it with whatever you want rather than trying to find tubing and adapters to fit to it.

9. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Well I am going to finish (finally) my rig in black/golden colour scheme.
    So far I have:
    ECS A85F2-A Golden motherboard
    Antec HCP-750 power supply
    Raven RV03 case
    Geil Black Dragon memories
    and now I am working to finish the AIO in the same colour scheme...

I hope it will look nice :)

The golden parts installed on the block are painted with a regular paint spray.

I thought of modding the radiator and the waterblock for bigger tubes but I see no point since the exit tube of the pump is 6mm. I think that even I use bigger tubes the result wont be much better.

Of course this is my first touch with modding or installing custom watecooling so I may be wrong :)

10. blueonblack

blueonblack What's a Dremel?

I'd also like to thank you for the pics, I love to see how different pieces work.

Nice start here, I don't see nearly as much modding on the AIO coolers as I should really. With everything on the market today there is a LOT of potential there for very little money compared to custom loops. I would think more people would be doing it.

I also like the color scheme you have going on there. Show us more.

11. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I agree that it would be great to see some more CLC mods around, but it does also depend a fair bit on the kind of modding we're talking about here. Completely taking apart a CLC and changing parts or adding bits (like expanding to include a GPU) sort of goes against much of the CLC mantra. Remember that they're designed to be left alone, so all the parts fit their use perfectly (tiny little pumps for instance that might not handle a larger loop very well). It ends up being a little bit like opening up a PSU and then soldering in some new caps, sure you can do it, but it's not always the best choice.

Loving the gold look though, it really came out with a great finish!

12. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

In time I will. I hope the final product will look nice :)

I don't think the premade AIOs can handle the loop expanding. Most definitely the pump will be overloaded and wont handle much time working.

For this project I will boost a bit the performance, but I don't think to try cool my 2 mining video cards.

Apart from that I will most probably mod the AIO and not use it so much since I need to do tests and reviews of cooling products and disassemble the rig every weekend :)

Best Regards

I believe it is time for a small update…

After the block was painted I was pretty eager to assemble it…

[​IMG]

Both the painted radiator and the waterblock together..

[​IMG]

After I painted both the radiator and the waterblock I tried to assemble and try the AIO. Unfortunately I used too hard to bend tubes which broke one of the waterblock plastic fittings and now need to be fixed..

I believe this is just the start so stay tuned :)

Last edited: 3 Apr 2014
  13. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Ok time for an update:

After I broke one of the plastic fittings, to use the AIO I had to fix this problem and since I live in a country using the metric system I completely lack of tools needed so new fittings could be installed. For that reason I had to speak with a friend and help me with adding new fittings.

[​IMG]

The waterblock with the fittings removed…

[​IMG]

Together we decided to install new aluminum tubes and glue them to the holes made in the waterblock.

[​IMG]

The new tubes were in place.. Next step is to make a screw and fasten the new fittings…

[​IMG]

With the screw finished we had to fasten the new fittings…

[​IMG]

And the new fittings together…

[​IMG]

With both fittings installed it will be nice to share my future plans for the new tubes and later I will have to fix the paint…

The tubes are 8mm inner and 10mm outer diameter…

[​IMG]

And here I want to thank to Ivan Ivanov (ivbrada) for assisting me with the needed tools and personal help fixing the waterblock and continue with my project…

I believe the AIO will be amazing and probably performing a bit better than the original so stay tuned :)

14. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

I believe the time for a small update has arrived…

After the waterblock was fixed with adding new fittings it was time to fix the paint, which was a bit destroyed…

[​IMG]

And seen from the side…

[​IMG]

And the back..

[​IMG]

And again the side…

[​IMG]

Next step is to install the pump and close the waterblock, paint some more additional parts, install the tubes and refill the AIO.

15. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

i can't see the pics?

16. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

That is really strange..
    Anybody else can't see the pictures ?

17. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

And here is small update regarding the SilverStone Tundra TD02:

After the block was fixed since I broke one of the fittings I decided to move forward and paint the fans too:

[​IMG]

and all of the parts together:

[​IMG]

Next step will be to install the tubes and fill the AIO.

After I made the pictures above, I noticed some paint defects so I will do some additional panting to fix them.

18. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

Ok I think it is time for a small update:

[​IMG]

After I installed the tubes to the radiator next step was to connect the waterblock to the loop and start refilling the AIO.

[​IMG]

First the tubes were with 550mm length, but later I decided to shorten them a bit to 450mm. And this was the position of the AIO for few days while I was fighting with the air bubbles inside.

And this is what the AIO looks now..

[​IMG]

And close look of the waterblock.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately with replacing the original waterblook fittings with new a bigger ones, now the AIO is not compatible with AMD anymore, because the original brackets put pressure on the fittings and it is not possible for them to be rotated.

As final step I will have to add some additional paint layers, since I used pretty crappy and low quality paints and I added some scratches to the overall appearance. Need to be fixed before I finish the AIO project.

After the project is done I will do tests vs the original SilverStone Tundra TD02 and check if I achieved any performance improvement.

19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

How do you make sure the AIO is without air if you are not using a reservoir or a T-piece to bleed?

20. Dk_vr

Dk_vr What's a Dremel?

That is one really good question.
    On the side where the intel mounting bracket is missing there is a small hole with a bolt and rubber isolation. I open it and with syringe insert the coolant. Then close the loop and shake the radiator and the waterblock until the air gets in the tubes, which later moves to the waterblock and the small hole.

I am refilling the loop for a week already and still there are some small bubbles, but with time I will remove them too.