bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Mar 2014, 10:50   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nvidia launches Tegra-based Jetson K1 SBC

A high-power, high-price Pi alternative.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ia-jetson-k1/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2014, 14:12   #2
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seems pretty good value for money if the price is around 120GBP. Not sure how appropriate the comparison is? RPi does the job it was designed to do pretty well, this hopefully will too.
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2014, 14:15   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark View Post
Seems pretty good value for money if the price is around 120GBP. Not sure how appropriate the comparison is? RPi does the job it was designed to do pretty well, this hopefully will too.
Still waiting on word of UK pricing, but I reckon it'll be closer to 150 than 120. (116 plus 20% VAT plus the cost of getting 'em here and any import tax to pay.)
Old 26th Mar 2014, 14:53   #4
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Boo! It's not the dual core version. That promised to be a lot more interesting.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2014, 14:55   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
Boo! It's not the dual core version. That promised to be a lot more interesting.
There's plenty of dual-core SBCs out there already, though - but affordable quad-core is rare. They're all aimed at proper professional users who don't mind going direct to the chip maker and spending the sharp end of a grand...
Old 26th Mar 2014, 15:06   #6
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I am sure this has some uses that a NUC couldn't...but this appears to be about $20 more than a NUC and the only thing it includes over it is RAM and storage...at less processing power (compared to a NUC Bay Trail). Or if you don't mind only a small amount more space, a Bay Trail based mITX board is 1/3rd the price...which makes a final system a fair amount less money and a lot more capable.

Just seems...overpriced. By like a third (or more).
Old 26th Mar 2014, 15:16   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
I am sure this has some uses that a NUC couldn't...but this appears to be about $20 more than a NUC and the only thing it includes over it is RAM and storage...at less processing power (compared to a NUC Bay Trail). Or if you don't mind only a small amount more space, a Bay Trail based mITX board is 1/3rd the price...which makes a final system a fair amount less money and a lot more capable.
Apples to oranges. A NUC isn't a single-board computer; it requires you to add, at the very least, some RAM. The NUC doesn't have the GPIO capabilities of the Jetson (or any other hobbyist-themed SBC) either, which makes it useless for embedded projects unless you're going to hang a load of Arduinos off it. There's also the noise to consider; a bare-bones NUC kit includes an active fan, and passive cases cost more than the Jetson does on their own, while the Jetson is passively cooled.

The latter brings me onto the big difference, however: power draw. The Bay Trail Celeron used in the NUC has a 7.5W TDP; the Tegra K1 has a 5W TDP, despite having four physical processing cores (plus the companion core, for low 'idle' power draw) to the Celeron's two. Sure, the Celeron is probably faster in general compute (assuming here, I haven't looked up figures) but I'll bet it's not twice as fast. Add in the significantly more powerful GPU (with full CUDA support, if you're doing GPGPU) and that's a very tempting package indeed.
Old 26th Mar 2014, 17:16   #8
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Aw darn, I thought this would be the 64-bit dual-core Denver K1
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2014, 17:24   #9
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
...while the Jetson is passively cooled.
And has a wayyy cooler name than Next Unit of Computing, who wouldn't love to say they have a Jetson
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2014, 10:28   #10
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Aw, I used to love The Jetsons
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2014, 11:52   #11
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Is it feasible to use this as a base for an "ordinary" desktop pc? Depending on which OS you choose of course.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 12:10   #12
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Damn .... 127x127 is too big . That won't fit inside a keyboard. I'd prefear wider but less deep form factor
GuilleAcoustic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2014, 12:12   #13
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
I have just taken receipt of a CubieTruck

Not bad at all for 55 inc international postage, obviously not as powerful as the Tegra based board, but not to be sniffed at!

Looking forward to turning it into some kind of NAS/web-server : )

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2014, 12:18   #14
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Does it support opengl or opengl-es ? If it has native openGL with linux drivers, then this is a pure win.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 12:32   #15
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJay View Post
I reviewed the CubieBoard 2 a little while ago - the upgraded one with the A20. Nice little unit, although the stock Android install was crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
Does it support opengl or opengl-es ?
The full OpenGL 4.4 specification. Yes, full-fat. Nowt tekken out. Honest.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 13:31   #16
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
The full OpenGL 4.4 specification. Yes, full-fat. Nowt tekken out. Honest.
That is very interesting and will ensure hardware acceleration desktop environment. Maybe the Amiga reborn should be a scaled down (read 1:32 Amiga 2000) instead of a keyputer.
Old 27th Mar 2014, 13:48   #17
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded View Post
Aw darn, I thought this would be the 64-bit dual-core Denver K1
That was my point!
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2014, 15:05   #18
MrJay

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
I reviewed the CubieBoard 2 a little while ago - the upgraded one with the A20. Nice little unit, although the stock Android install was crap.The full OpenGL 4.4 specification. Yes, full-fat. Nowt tekken out. Honest.
Ill be flashing it with Lubuntu : )

Id quite like a Tegra board, price is a little steep for me though, I should imagine its going to come in at 150 +

I've become a little obsessed with low power computing recently

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
Old 1st Apr 2014, 08:50   #19
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJay

Not bad at all for 55 inc international postage, obviously not as powerful as the Tegra based board, but not to be sniffed at!
How did you get the price that far down? It says $99 (on sale) for me, and that's prior to any shipping and import duties (it says they ship from China directly so there will be VAT on top of everything at the very least, plus potential hassle with CE statement of compliance).
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2014, 12:04   #20
MrJay

Well I was fully prepared to pay import charges, they however fudged the import papers so I had noting to pay when I picked it up.

It was under $99 when I bought it, they where doing some kind of deal.

Tags
arm, gpio, jetson k1, raspberry pi, sbc, single board computer, soc, system on chip, tegra, tegra k1, zotac