bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Apr 2014, 15:02   #1
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Corsair unleashes a rather good sub 40 enthusiast case

Matt takes a look at Corsair's new wallet-friendly Spec-01

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...ec-01-review/1
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2014, 15:10   #2
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I know it's been said before, and your reasons for not doing so are well documented, but would it really be that hard just to find a generic 120mm fan just to show how much the case can be improved from stock for a couple of quid extra?

This looks like a great budget choice, and would likely perform infinitely better with either one additional fan, or as you allude to removing the intake and using it as an exhaust... about a minute's work.

I'm sure it was an article on bit or maybe in CPC not that many years ago which proved that one exhaust is far more effective than even several intakes, as it creates negative pressure in the rest of the case forcing it to pull in cold air through any orifice. Whereas an intake will create positive pressure, and the air will try to escape from the nearest orifice, meaning that a proportion of the cold, fresh air will be exhausted before it even meets a component.
Old 11th Apr 2014, 15:42   #3
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
I know it's been said before, and your reasons for not doing so are well documented, but would it really be that hard just to find a generic 120mm fan just to show how much the case can be improved from stock for a couple of quid extra?

This looks like a great budget choice, and would likely perform infinitely better with either one additional fan, or as you allude to removing the intake and using it as an exhaust... about a minute's work.

I'm sure it was an article on bit or maybe in CPC not that many years ago which proved that one exhaust is far more effective than even several intakes, as it creates negative pressure in the rest of the case forcing it to pull in cold air through any orifice. Whereas an intake will create positive pressure, and the air will try to escape from the nearest orifice, meaning that a proportion of the cold, fresh air will be exhausted before it even meets a component.
The trouble is that if we do it for one then it's unfair not to do it for the others - almost every case can have its cooling improved by adding more fans, and it introduces a lot of variables too. Perhaps we could do it in special instances such as this one, where cooling is a letdown in an otherwise good case and there appears to be an easy fix? I'm not sure. That said, as we move into the post-Dennis era there's a lot of re-evaluation going on about our test gear and methods, so it may be something we can include in the future - we'll certainly keep it in mind
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2014, 15:45   #4
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Also, you may be thinking of this article? http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...nvestigation/1

The benefit of having data such as that, as well as data from other cases with good exhaust set-ups, for example, is that it lends weight to our arguments that adding a fan/moving the existing one here to the exhaust position would be very beneficial, without us having to actually run an extra test. Of course, no case is the same, and there are always going to be additional variables, but we don't say such things based on guess work.
Old 11th Apr 2014, 15:46   #5
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think if a case only includes a single intake fan then it's at least worth moving it to the exhaust mount to see if that helps, would you agree?

I'm totally with you on the aspect of fairness, but the fan is a modular part of the case so you could argue that moving it is akin to removing a drive cage or similar.

And yes, that was the article - a very good article it was too
Old 11th Apr 2014, 16:15   #6
lilgoth89
Captin Calliope

lilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlilgoth89 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i would personally love to see all cases tested with all their fan slots filled with decent but generic fans ( sickleflows for instance ) to show the POTENTIAL cooling of the case as well

you take all the time to install the hardware and test, how hard would a set of fans be to install ? granted it would take another set of testing, but how many of us really buy these cases then leave them stock ?

although saying that i do understand the reasons to test the out of box performance first and foremost. However especially at this end of the market, there is alot of potential that you fail to show
Old 11th Apr 2014, 16:34   #7
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good fans cost money - you take a cheap case with 1x120mm fan, you add 2-3 other 120mm fans and price wise you're into better cases with more features, or worse, more included fans!
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2014, 16:52   #8
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Very true, but a single intake fan is substantially inferior to a single exhaust - and both configurations are options on this case without spending a penny extra
Old 11th Apr 2014, 17:12   #9
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would expect at least a standard setup be used for each case which would mean it should at least have 1 intake and 1 exhaust even if they need to be added. Can always be reflected in the price.

Also it's not a bad case even though it has banes breathing apparatus stuck to the front
CrapBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2014, 17:31   #10
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Is BT going to review the NZXT 440 any time soon?
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2014, 18:11   #11
Dogbert666
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
We have requested it a lot. We really want to but stock seems to be an issue. I'll chase again.
Old 11th Apr 2014, 18:11   #12
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
+1
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2014, 01:19   #13
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hmm, looks like a tarted up Inwin Mana 137.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote