bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Apr 2014, 09:07   #1
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Alphacool to 3D-scan GPUs to make waterblocks for non-reference cards

You can send yours in and receive a free waterblock for your troubles. This is all kinds of awesome!

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ke-waterbloc/1
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2014, 11:49   #2
daletur328
Minimodder

daletur328 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great idea, would have loved this service with my card, just a pity it's 6xx series GeForce. Would be good to see a review of the temps.
daletur328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2014, 12:55   #3
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
It's cool and offers choice where there was none. Which is great. But chances are it'll be expensive due to the small job lot production runs of the non generic elements.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2014, 15:23   #4
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Definitely an interesting idea, but I'm sure the service will be pricey.

Makes me wonder how much an advanced 3D scanner was necessary. For example, I wonder if you could get the same results using a regular photo scanner. The way this works is you measure distance of the components based on how blurry they are, and maybe use brightness too as an aiding factor. This obviously isn't going to be as accurate, but you don't need 100% precision for a heatsink. You just need to make sure it's tightly and fully pressed against the GPU die and that it doesn't hit any of the other components. Also, from a user perspective, this approach is more difficult and requires more manual intervention. Personally, I'd rather spend $50 on a photo scanner than a multi-hundred (possibly multi-thousand) dollar 3D scanner that scans a device that is largely 2-dimensional.
Old 18th Apr 2014, 17:55   #5
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Why do customers have to send their cards in, why can't Alphacool just get hold of the cards for themselves and save people the hassle?
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2014, 17:58   #6
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Maybe not too pricey, It looks like they have a stock heatsink they can slap in a mill with little setup.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2014, 18:21   #7
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
I think the reason for sending the cards in and the laser scanner is to get various part samples across numerous batches. This would allow them to measure the variances in the cards production and ensure the blocks they produce would work correctly across all cards.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2014, 18:40   #8
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE View Post
Why do customers have to send their cards in, why can't Alphacool just get hold of the cards for themselves and save people the hassle?
There won't be any costs afaik - if the card isn't in their database and they deem your model worthy of adding to it, then it's free and you get a block for your trouble - very little hassle in that tbh so long as they return your card in a reasonable time.

It's also highly impractical to get hold of every non-reference card for every generation - literally dozens - no block manufacturer has managed it yet and asking for cards to scan isn't new either - EK has done it in the past, albeit maybe not with 3D scanning. This way both Alphacool and the end user benefit - the end user with a free block for their card if it hasn't been scanned already, and Alphacool gets to build its database of cards so it can cater for as many models as possible.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2014, 01:22   #9
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
I wonder if you could get the same results using a regular photo scanner. The way this works is you measure distance of the components based on how blurry they are, and maybe use brightness too as an aiding factor.
If it was reliable to produce an accurate 3D scan from a 2D photograph using nothing but DOF... everyone would be doing it. If you're going to add it lots of processing and dynamic light sources for shadow mapping then you're just building an inaccurate 3D scanner using less than optimal techniques.

3D scanning has been pretty much sorted now. Hacked solutions are no longer required.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2014, 01:48   #10
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I like it! - The design is pretty slick too! Think this will be in my next build...
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2014, 10:00   #11
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
This is a great idea. If you can choose any card you want, the premium of using this service would be well worth the extra paid.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2014, 18:25   #12
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_gamer
I like it! - The design is pretty slick too! Think this will be in my next build...
Awesome - knew we could rely on you
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2014, 19:11   #13
ksyruz
What's a Dremel?

ksyruz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seems cool and all, but most non-reference cards (Asus DCU ii, EVGA, MSI Lighning, KFA2/Galaxy hof, and Gigabyte) get waterblocks by one of the brands, especially EK waterblocks who do all of them in full cover.
ksyruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2014, 20:22   #14
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
At last we can now WC Quadro-Firepro cards, so a good option.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 18:18   #15
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert666 View Post
Awesome - knew we could rely on you
Of course! - Just wish the next gen hardware would hurry up so I can start a build log.
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2014, 18:49   #16
Apoptosis
Modder

Apoptosis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is a good idea - I've been meaning to buy a GTX 780 for a water-cooled build but reference PCB's seem to be few and far between.
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2014, 23:34   #17
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Not sure I would be comfortable with only 2 cards in my system. And I do my best to keep them in there and watercooled and not moved until the next 9 month upgrade cycle.

S*D
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote