bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Apr 2014, 10:35   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Google, Apple, Intel, Adobe offer to settle no-poach suit

No wrongdoing admitted, naturally.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...o-poach-suit/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2014, 11:42   #2
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Who does the $324 million go to ?
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2014, 13:53   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Who does the $324 million go to ?
The majority will go to the lawyers, as always; whatever's left when they've had their pound of flesh will be doled out to the class, i.e. the 64,000 workers affected by the suit.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2014, 14:47   #4
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yea i thought it was going to be a case of paying the lawyers, so i guess the workers will get around a $1 each
Shame they cant appeal or something and force it to go to court.
Old 25th Apr 2014, 18:28   #5
Thawn
Minimodder

Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.
How do they decide whether to accept the settlement? Do the class have to vote on it, or do the lawyers decide?
Thawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2014, 21:46   #6
fodder
Multimodder

fodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If it's anything like the Equitable Life saga, the lawyers will send letters to all their clients asking (and advising) for agreement on the settlement. All chargable, probably at the going rate for a letter to each one. IE roughly 12 per letter X 64,000 - not a bad return for a few stamps. Then there's the charge for opening and collating all the returns.....
fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2014, 22:09   #7
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quoting from the judge's order denying defendent's motion to summarily dismiss...

Quote:
“Defendants have conceded that there were a series of six-bilateral agreements,” the judge noted, by which Silicon Valley employers sought to hold down their payrolls by not recruiting rivals’ employees. “All six of these agreements contained nearly identical terms, precluding each pair from affirmatively soliciting any of each other’s employees,” she added (italics hers). Then the capper: “Defendants’ experts concede that they are unaware of these types of long-term, all-employee agreements ever occurring between other firms.”
Basically the judge told the companies "you'd better settle because you're probably going to lose big if you go to trial."

Source
Old 26th Apr 2014, 07:30   #8
Corky42
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo View Post
Basically the judge told the companies "you'd better settle because you're probably going to lose big if you go to trial."
That would really stick in my throat if i was one of those workers, not only are they probably going to end up with peanuts, but the companies involved get away without having to admit wrong doings and there is no saying its not going to carry on happening
Old 27th Apr 2014, 12:52   #9
rainbowbridge
Goes forever,OMG it's full of Stars

rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.rainbowbridge is definitely a rep cheat.
wow this is a pretty amazing news story, surprising they did this.
Obutto r3volution - Obsidian 650D - i7 2600k@4.3Ghz - 1TB Samsung EVO - 16gb Ram - 3GB Asus GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC-3x Asus VN279QLB -1x Oculus Dk2- Blu-ray - Mionix Naos 8200 Mouse - Asus Xonar Phoebus Solo - Razer Tiamat 7.1 true - DT 770 PRO headphones+px350 piano - Focusrite 6i6 - SE2200a IIC - T500RS Wheel + TH8a Shifter - Warthog Hotas + Saitek Combat Pedals -
rainbowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2014, 17:05   #10
Thawn
Minimodder

Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.Thawn is definitely a rep cheat.
> That would really stick in my throat if i was one of those workers.

Indeed. If this settlement gets accepted I can't really see how it is going to dissuade companies from this type of behaviour at all.
Thawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2014, 18:04   #11
megamale
Multimodder

megamale has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Funny this,

I work as a consultant specializing in implementing a particular piece of software in Banks. The software maker has in its contract a clause forbidding the clients from hiring their staff. Of course this is to protect their own overpriced consulting service.

I wonder if this is legal in UK.
Old 27th Apr 2014, 20:04   #12
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Does not really have to be legal, 4 of the biggest companies in the world just paid it off for pocket change.
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2014, 20:16   #13
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm pretty sure that while they aren't admitting fault, they did get caught at it and the consequences of getting caught at it again would be significantly greater. The plaintiffs in the case achieved their goal of bringing this practice to light and at least making it more difficult for the companies to do it again, thereby increasing the plaintiff's job prospects and earning potential.

The monetary value of the settlement is fairly low, probably just enough to cover attorney fees, but this case was more about behavior than damages.

According to the article I posted above, there was also a concern amongst the plaintiffs that had they gone to trial their employee records would have been publicly released during discovery, which would have probably adversely impacted their future job prospects.

tl:dr, this was a win for the plaintiffs, even though it might not seem big
Old 28th Apr 2014, 10:48   #14
SirFur
PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

SirFur has yet to learn the way of the DremelSirFur has yet to learn the way of the DremelSirFur has yet to learn the way of the DremelSirFur has yet to learn the way of the DremelSirFur has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo View Post

tl:dr, this was a win for the plaintiffs, even though it might not seem big
Agreed. Well put above. Simply a behaviour change has been called for and hopefully this will help. Ripples of this will be felt lower down the chain I am sure, simply as a result of this being 'a very bad thing' to get caught in the act of doing.
|Aerocool xPredator Evil Black|MSI GD53|Intel i5 2500k @ 3.30ghz|Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced|2x 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4|Crucial M4 64GB|Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 1600|POV TGT Charged 2.5GB GTX 570|Antec TruePower 650|LG IPS231P|Sidewinder X6|CM Storm Sentinel Advanced|Logitech Z-5500|
SirFur on Steam!
SirFur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, anti-competition, antitrust, apple, disney, eric schmidt, financial, google, intel, intuit, legal, no-hire, no-poaching, steve jobs