bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Apr 2014, 09:41   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Kingston announces HyperX Cloud headset

Takes the brand to new places.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...hyperx-cloud/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2014, 10:32   #2
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Diversifying their product range seems like a good call, so long as they make decent products anyway.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2014, 12:10   #3
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Was it just me that groaned when i read about a Cloud headset, only to discover it's got nothing to do with the cloud, or does it store something in the cloud ? talk about confusing
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2014, 13:30   #4
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I rolled my eyes Corky. I immediately decided it would be a no-buy, and if it was truly cloud related then it would be a liability with regards security. They need to ditch the 'cloud', as everyone should.
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2014, 13:48   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Was it just me that groaned when i read about a Cloud headset, only to discover it's got nothing to do with the cloud, or does it store something in the cloud ? talk about confusing
It just plugs in with a pair of 3.5mm plugs; the 'Cloud' moniker refers to the soft, floaty memory-foam earcups, nothing to do with server-side software!
Old 29th Apr 2014, 13:55   #6
Impatience
Supermodder

Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.
Now that I know that these aren't actually cloud related (apart from name), it makes me wonder how you could actually have cloud headsets? You could potentially fit a little raspberry pi-type device in them and play soundcloud tracks etc.. If it wasn't for the security, that could be a lot of fun!
Impatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2014, 15:08   #7
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
@Gareth, That make more sense, thanks. Although it does make me wounder how many people will make the same mistake as me (unless I'm being dense that is)

Are some people going to see the 'Cloud' moniker and think security risk and dismiss them offhand without giving them a second look, while others that think a Cloud related headset would be cool dismiss them once they find out they don't come with server-side functions.

Seem a little like a marketing boo boo, maybe they should have called them something like the
HyperX Mr. Stay Puft headset
Old 29th Apr 2014, 17:57   #8
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
"Was it just me that groaned when i read about a Cloud headset, only to discover it's got nothing to do with the cloud, or does it store something in the cloud ? talk about confusing :?"

Ermmmm..... It's only confusing if you associate the word cloud with cloud computing.

Anyways, I really want to try these. The build quality appears to be top notch, reminds me a couple beyerdynamic cans. The headset market really needs something good that is affordable. I'm really tired of people buying these bulky hunks of plastic that razor/astro/trittan try to pass off as headphones. I've yet to try anything from them that didn't feel like cheap, bulky, and sound terrible.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2014, 18:09   #9
Corky42
Mod Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd View Post
Ermmmm..... It's only confusing if you associate the word cloud with cloud computing.
When talking about computers don't most people associate the word cloud with cloud computing, the first few pages in Google tend to associate it with that.

Quote button
Old 30th Apr 2014, 02:28   #10
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42
Was it just me that groaned when i read about a Cloud headset, only to discover it's got nothing to do with the cloud
Nope not just you, I think the marketing department was probably let loose with their book of buzzwords.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2014, 11:40   #11
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

If anyone's interested in buying one, I've just had an email from Kingston saying that the UK RRP - which wasn't in the original press release - will be 89.99. With pre-order prices averaging at around 70, that means buying now will save a not-inconsiderable chunk of change. Cheapest I've found is Saverstore at 65.60 plus delivery.
Old 30th Apr 2014, 20:44   #12
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon View Post
Nope not just you, I think the marketing department was probably let loose with their book of buzzwords.
THIS!

It's usually good if a product's name tells you what the product is. I associate the HyperX brand with memory, and cloud with servers, so my initial thought was that this was some new server memory. Clearly I'm not the only one having this problem.

Tags
gaming headset, headphones, headset, hyperx, hyperx cloud, kingston, microphone