bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th May 2014, 09:31   #1
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Z97 Mini-ITX Motherboard Previews

Following the launch of Intel's Z97 chipset, we've spotted seven new mini-ITX boards

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...ard-previews/1
Dogbert666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 10:19   #2
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'll wait for the reviews but i've pretty much got my heart set on getting the MSI Z97I Gaming next month.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 8Gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance GPU: XFX ATI 5870, Primary HDD: 128Gb Kingston SSDNOW 200, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 10:22   #3
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That Asrock board does look interesting! Kudos to them and Asus for fitting the M.2 slot onto an ITX mobo.

EVGA really needs to look at what they're doing; ITX without WiFi? Plus a lack of features and a higher price than the competition, no interest in the Stinger boards from me (although they do appeal aesthetically).

Sad to see MSI sticking to that awful layout with the CPU socket too close to the PCI-E slot.
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 10:32   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBeastie View Post
Sad to see MSI sticking to that awful layout with the CPU socket too close to the PCI-E slot.
The MSI-boards are the only choice left imho, as they're the only ones where I can mount a decent top-blower like the Thermalright AXP-200.

A real shame that Gigabyte now uses the bad socket-placement of Asus and Asrock.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 10:35   #5
Arboreal
Multimodder

Arboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for president
Nice to see an good selection of well specced boards early on.
I like the way Gigabyte have saved space by mounting the WiFi cards vertically close to the board edge - No long dangling wires.
One irrationally fussy point, the inner pedant was irritated by the fact that the Asrock board photo wasn't in the same orientation as the others on the page, making it harder to quickly assess layout.
Also, on p2, the mATX Gigabyte Gaming 5 has crept in on the board photo instead of the ITX one.
Looking forward to see how these all pan out on review, I really do have a soft spot for ITX.
Arboreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 10:35   #6
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
If the EVGA board doesn't have an M2/SATA-E port, what's that at the bottom left of the board between the heatsinks and PCI-E slot?

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but the right hand photo of the Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 on page 2 looks like m-ATX and not the same board as to the left?
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 10:46   #7
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosDefinesOrder View Post
If the EVGA board doesn't have an M2/SATA-E port, what's that at the bottom left of the board between the heatsinks and PCI-E slot?

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but the right hand photo of the Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 on page 2 looks like m-ATX and not the same board as to the left?
It's a mini PCI-E slot.

Well spotted - it now shows the correct board!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 10:59   #8
Arboreal
Multimodder

Arboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for presidentArboreal should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
It's a mini PCI-E slot.

Well spotted - it now shows the correct board!
Thanks for sorting both those, it makes more sense now

More choice and temptation - must resist, must resist
Old 12th May 2014, 11:00   #9
Arboreal
Multimodder

Maybe following on from JRS' post, we could have a round up of suitable coolers for these boards, as we have 2 CPU placements.
Old 12th May 2014, 11:58   #10
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arboreal View Post
Maybe following on from JRS' post, we could have a round up of suitable coolers for these boards, as we have 2 CPU placements.
When we get each board in we'll test it with various heatsinks and report our findings - I know there were lots of comments about this on Z87 as they got more popular so we'll be looking in a bit more detail now.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 12:14   #11
Arboreal
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
When we get each board in we'll test it with various heatsinks and report our findings - I know there were lots of comments about this on Z87 as they got more popular so we'll be looking in a bit more detail now.
Anthony, that's great thanks. Bring on the samples
Old 12th May 2014, 12:55   #12
David164v8
Supermodder

David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.David164v8 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm probably being a bit dense, bit how do you put the side panel on if the m.2 ssd is put on the back of the motherboard? Wouldn't it stick out?
David164v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 13:23   #13
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David164v8
I'm probably being a bit dense, bit how do you put the side panel on if the m.2 ssd is put on the back of the motherboard? Wouldn't it stick out?
If they are anything like laptop ram slots, it would probably sit parallel with the motherboard when seated properly & i'd think they would be only a few mm thick.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 8Gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance GPU: XFX ATI 5870, Primary HDD: 128Gb Kingston SSDNOW 200, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 13:37   #14
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David164v8 View Post
In a same way as your heatsink backplate doesn't stick out . And in a same way it is on any Z97 board - paralel to the motherboard as Dave said. so they will stick out only 1-2 milimeters, which is enough place between the motherboard whatever you are mounting it on.
Old 12th May 2014, 13:47   #15
DatenThielt
Modder

DatenThielt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe I am being blind or am missing information (hopefully!) But when was the last AMD Motherboard review that was not ITX? I wish we would get a nice post about multiple mobo's for them too!
DatenThielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 13:54   #16
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Mini ITX boards are the bomb! They look so much cooler than full ATX boards, with no spare slots and blank bits of PCB.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 14:10   #17
DatenThielt
Modder

DatenThielt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mini ITX looks so wrong in my HAF X Case XD I like the possibility of expansion too! but am fond more for AMD than Intel (Just a personal preference ofc)
DatenThielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 14:28   #18
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My kind of review is coming. My next upgrade will be a Z97 mITX, so I'll be waiting with heavy breath.........

TBH, I'm very inclined to the cheap MSI board at this point. But for future-proofing, may splurge some $$ for that M.2 or SATA ports...
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA 660Ti - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 10:06   #19
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm surprised many mini-ITX boards don't come with M.2 slots. You'd think this connector would be ideal for an SFF system as you eliminate a chunky 2.5 inch drive and its cabling from the equation.

Speaking of the M.2 form factor, there are quite a few SATA protocol drives like the Evo and the M550, but are there any PCIe protocol drives available on the retail market? I'd rather have those for their superior speed.
Main: Silverstone FT03 | Asus P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz | CM 212+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon 7970 DD | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | CM Silent Pro Gold 600W | Samsung XL2270HD | KBT Race (brown switches) | Sidewinder X8 | Arch Linux + Windows 8.1
Server: Asus M3N78-AM | Athlon II X3 400e | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 4x 2TB Samsung F4EG (RAID-5) | LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 | Corsair CX400 | Arch Linux
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 10:51   #20
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That EVGA board looks nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote