bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th May 2014, 11:12   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Watch Dogs misses 1080p target on consoles

Despite Sony's claims to the contrary.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...s-resolution/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 11:29   #2
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If I owned either of these consoles I'd be rather concerned by these performance issues - if the consoles are still relatively brand new and can't play the games of 'today' (BF4 was another that springs to mind) up to the promised standards (1080p60) then how will they ever cope with the games of the future... I realise that over time people manage to squeeze more and more from existing console hardware but even still...
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 11:54   #3
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I am not that worried about console graphics, they were good but never awesome (or required to be so) and to compete with other disruptive technologies in that market place compromises were to be made.

It's probably that developers are still trying to find the limits and it's still trial and error until those limits are really known....although we all know the hardware is lacking in both compute cores and overall grunt.

People will still buy them and play them if every game from now until the end of it's life are on 720p....providing movie streaming is still 1080P or even 4k capable there's no real issue.

However, once again the consoles of today will cap the overall visual quality of PC gaming for years to come, but I am surprised it's started already.
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 13:08   #4
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK
If I owned either of these consoles I'd be rather concerned by these performance issues - if the consoles are still relatively brand new and can't play the games of 'today' (BF4 was another that springs to mind) up to the promised standards (1080p60) then how will they ever cope with the games of the future... I realise that over time people manage to squeeze more and more from existing console hardware but even still...
Trouble is, expectations were set too high, these games were first unveiled running on top end 2012 PC's with a Quad Core Intel CPU & SLI GPU setup powering them and people bought into the hype that it was what games on consoles only equivalent to a single GPU mid-range PC would look like.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 13:13   #5
GeorgeK

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Trouble is, expectations were set too high
Exactly this - if I had bought one of them on the "promise" (and yes I use that word very loosely) that I would be playing the newest, shiniest games at 60fps at 1080p I would feel very, very aggrieved...
Old 14th May 2014, 13:23   #6
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Won't 1080p @ 60fps be old hat in a few years, what with the push to 4K.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 13:24   #7
GeorgeK

And that - I wonder how the consoles would cope with 4K
Old 14th May 2014, 13:26   #8
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler

Trouble is, expectations were set too high, these games were first unveiled running on top end 2012 PC's with a Quad Core Intel CPU & SLI GPU setup powering them and people bought into the hype that it was what games on consoles only equivalent to a single GPU mid-range PC would look like.
nuff said, they sould have not really pushed 1080p@60fps advertising too much, though can't say maybe the game (watch dogs) have not really been optimized that much, given when I saw AC4 on the XB1, I can't really understand why it is running at 900p@30fps, and (correct me if im wrong) 1080p@30fps on the PS4. the game is really not that graphics intensive IMHO (though excellent gameplay to be fair)
Old 14th May 2014, 14:11   #9
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
TBH I am more concerned that a game this late in its development - and having been delayed already - is STILL having performance problems.

Compared to something like Infamous (1080p native), it is difficult to see why they are having issues with this game performance wise. My only assumption is the cross platform (mainly to the previous generation consoles) nature of the game has caused a general lack of optimisation across both new consoles.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 14:13   #10
Pookie
FHRITP!

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This makes me lol. I would be gutted If I had invested in a console.
Fractal R4/ GA-X58A-UD3R / Corsair RM850/ Westmere Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz Hex core / Corsair H60 (2013 Model) with 2 x Corsair SP120 / Corsair Force GT 120 SSD /Sapphire R9 290X / 12GB (3x4GB)Corsair Dominator 1600mhz with Airflow Kit / AOC i2757fm 27" IPS Monitor/ Razer Lachesis.
Rotel RA-02 Amplifier/ B&W DM601 S3/ QED XT350 With Airlock plugs/All QED Interconnects.

http://www.compucare.co.uk/
Pookie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 14:13   #11
SimoomiZ
Modder

SimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for president
Another explanation could be that they were shocked by the reaction to that 1080P/60 build demo footage and so they've reintroduced some eye candy from the impressive target build - at a performance cost.

With both 360 and PS3 wasn't it the case that only first party games looked anything like 'next-gen' for at least the first few years?
SimoomiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 14:20   #12
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am glad I am PC master race
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 14:24   #13
SimoomiZ
Modder

SimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for presidentSimoomiZ should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
This makes me lol. I would be gutted If I had invested in a console.
Not really.

Look at PS3/360 titles at similar early stage. This is a DX11 multi platform build afaik, one that's been in development for a long time.
Old 14th May 2014, 14:49   #14
SimoomiZ
Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
Exactly this - if I had bought one of them on the "promise" (and yes I use that word very loosely) that I would be playing the newest, shiniest games at 60fps at 1080p I would feel very, very aggrieved...
The early first party games give a more realistic view of potential:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/14/infamous-second-sons-characters-are-120000-polygons-11-million-rendered-regularly-by-the-engine/

Interesting presentation: http://suckerpunch.playstation.com/i...postmortem.pdf

Of course, Ubisoft wanting cross-platform parity can't put huge resources into such platform specific optimisations.

And Xbone needs DX12.

Last edited by SimoomiZ; 14th May 2014 at 15:11.
Old 14th May 2014, 15:00   #15
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It doesn't surprise me that the consoles are not hitting 1080p 60fps since they have such a low spec in them, regardless of how developers can use the hardware in them.

I have a Xbox One and seeing it struggle with Titanfall of all games.

Yes DX12 may help the Xbox One, but even then it's still not going to hit the 1080p 60fps mark that most developers are going on about unless they drop the detail levels, down by quite a few notches in each game.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 15:18   #16
SimoomiZ
Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
It doesn't surprise me that the consoles are not hitting 1080p 60fps since they have such a low spec in them, regardless of how developers can use the hardware in them.

I have a Xbox One and seeing it struggle with Titanfall of all games.

Yes DX12 may help the Xbox One, but even then it's still not going to hit the 1080p 60fps mark that most developers are going on about unless they drop the detail levels, down by quite a few notches in each game.
All the studios are saying it will make a big difference in trying to solve the XBO's resolution woes. It would have made a big difference to an AAA title like Titanfall.

Quote:
"First and foremost, it provides a lower level of hardware abstraction than ever before, allowing games to significantly improve multithread scaling and CPU utilization. In addition, games will benefit from reduced GPU overhead via features such as descriptor tables and concise pipeline state objects.

"And that's not all - Direct3D 12 also introduces a set of new rendering pipeline features that will dramatically improve the efficiency of algorithms such as order-independent transparency, collision detection, and geometry culling."
Old 14th May 2014, 16:02   #17
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Lets hope DX12 does improve things otherwise we will have to put up with what happened last generation, 3-4 years of games being toned down to run on the lowest common denominator.

Then again the Xbox One will be two years old by then, so maybe it will just be a method for it to keep pace.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 16:21   #18
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Trouble is, expectations were set too high.
I want my xbox one to have an i7 and sli gtx 680`s ! all for under 400! and an ssd and 8gb of ram....
Old 14th May 2014, 16:38   #19
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What fps did the PS3 and 360 run at, 30?
Old 14th May 2014, 16:40   #20
GeorgeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I want my xbox one to have an i7 and sli gtx 680`s ! all for under 400! and an ssd and 8gb of ram....
Lol - that'd be nice...

In all seriousness though - there are many articles on the interwebs where they build PCs for less than the cost of the xbone / PS4 that are better than either...

Tags
1080p, console gaming, console port, graphics, microsoft, pc gaming, ps4, resolution, sony, ubisoft, watch dogs, xbox one