bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th May 2014, 12:44   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Mozilla slammed over Firefox DRM scheme

FSF unimpressed with Mozilla's excuses.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20.../mozilla-drm/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 12:50   #2
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The die hard free-software users can always stop using Firefox and start using Iceweasel, if they don't do it already.
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 12:54   #3
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Mozilla has no real options here. Either they implement EME or users of Firefox won't be able to stream content. So why is it Mozilla that get's blamed here, when it's the content-providers who are to be blamed?

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 13:05   #4
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Mozilla has no real options here. Either they implement EME or users of Firefox won't be able to stream content. So why is it Mozilla that get's blamed here, when it's the content-providers who are to be blamed?
+1, most (average) people would just switch to chrome or even ie if they work. So long as it does what they want they don't care what's happening behind the curtain.
Old 15th May 2014, 13:28   #5
ZeDestructor
Multimodder

ZeDestructor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So... FSF slams FF...

I have to ask, where were they when Chrome integrated it? And Opera? And Safari? And IE?
ZeDestructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 13:42   #6
SinxarKnights
Multimodder

SinxarKnights has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDestructor
So... FSF slams FF...

I have to ask, where were they when Chrome integrated it? And Opera? And Safari? And IE?
Chrome, Opera and IE are not free software. Not sure about Safari though can't say I've ever looked into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
SinxarKnights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 15:20   #7
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I really don't see the problem. You don't HAVE to use the services that require EME and you can always use iceweasel instead of firefox. There's a good chance someone will bypass EME at some point anyway. I'd say this does people more good than harm.

I think the quote from FSF is ridiculous. I'm a fan of FOSS but seriously get over yourselves. This isn't going to ruin firefox, it's just 1 OPTIONAL feature that consumers desire and can't change. Seriously though, would the FSF rather firefox be left in the dust and become another netscape? Because that's what will happen if firefox doesn't get things that target a massive amount of consumers - free, open source, or otherwise. They clearly aren't looking at this in a long term perspective.
Old 15th May 2014, 15:46   #8
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You also have the option of disabling the EME sandbox completely if you so desire.
Old 15th May 2014, 15:55   #9
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm confused, reading up on EME from the The World Wide Web Consortium page about it, and other sources, it claims "This specification does not define a content protection or Digital Rights Management system."

And other sources, that i admit goes a little over my head claims...
Quote:
Note that an application using EME interacts with a license server to get keys to enable decryption, but user identity and authentication are not part of EME. Retrieval of keys to enable media playback happens after (optionally) authenticating a user. Services such as Netflix must authenticate users within their web application: when a user signs into the application, the application determines the user's identity and privileges.
Would i be wrong in thinking they mean EME only enables browsers to interact with license servers to get keys ? Is that really browser DRM.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 16:28   #10
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
The beauty of open source software is you can set a flag and recompile the Firefox source code to create a browser without any non-free software (in fact, Debian already do this and it's referred to as Iceweasel). That ought to be enough to keep the Stallmanites happy, while the rest of the world can watch Netflix without having to install Silverlight. In fact, EME should be a boon for Linux users who want Netflix as there's currently no option due to the lack of Silverlight!
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 17:40   #11
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This DRM is no good and allready circumvented anyways. So why do they still bother with DRM to begin with?

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 17:42   #12
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Isn't Silverlight similar to Adobe flash, whereas EME is an extension to the HTML 5 specs.

AFAIK it's why EME exists, because Adobe flash, Silverlight, and such can request keys from servers if they need to playback encrypted media, but with HTML 5's ability playback media without using plugins like Adobe flash, Silverlight there needs to be a way for it to authenticate the user.

Last edited by Corky42; 15th May 2014 at 18:48.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 18:32   #13
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
This DRM is no good and allready circumvented anyways. So why do they still bother with DRM to begin with?
Because they have blind faith.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 22:17   #14
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Could they not have implemented this in an extension or suchlike to give users the choice?
Old 15th May 2014, 23:01   #15
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDestructor View Post
So... FSF slams FF...

I think that complainers need to STFU and remember that Firefox is a free piece of software. Take it or leave it, but don't make demands of something you don't even pay for.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 03:53   #16
jb0
Minimodder

jb0 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinxarKnights
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDestructor
So... FSF slams FF...

Chrome, Opera and IE are not free software. Not sure about Safari though can't say I've ever looked into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
Sure they are. I've never paid for any of them.
Richard Stallman is not the thought police, and I can keep using the commonly-accepted definitions of words.
jb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 09:59   #17
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
I think that complainers need to STFU and remember that Firefox is a free piece of software. Take it or leave it, but don't make demands of something you don't even pay for.
I've said it before, that's why Iceweasel exists. It's a fork of Firefox with branding and proprietary bits removed.
And, by the way, yes, you can complain, specially if you contributed to the project before.
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 11:04   #18
Measter
Multimodder

Measter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez View Post
Could they not have implemented this in an extension or suchlike to give users the choice?
As I understand, they are. Basically, Mozilla have implemented an open source sandbox environment in the browser, which you can optionally install Adobes closed source DRM to.
Measter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 11:28   #19
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

From the blog:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/05/re...n-and-w3c-eme/
Quote:
As plugins today, the CDM itself will be distributed by Adobe and will not be included in Firefox. The browser will download the CDM from Adobe and activate it based on user consent.
Old 16th May 2014, 13:16   #20
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0
Sure they are. I've never paid for any of them.
Richard Stallman is not the thought police, and I can keep using the commonly-accepted definitions of words.
I have to strongly disagree with you there. There is one commonly accepted definition of free software, which is Stallmans. Anyone with the slightest clue about software would agree, try googling define free software: even standard dictionaries agree. Free software is certaintly not synonymous with freeware.
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andreas gal, drm, eme, firefox, free software foundation, fsf, john sullivan, mozilla, open source, w3c, web browser