bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th May 2014, 10:46   #1
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Watch Dogs Review

Watch Dogs provides an incredible open world, but it doesn't seem to know what to do with it...

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...-dogs-review/1
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 10:51   #2
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
After reading other reviews I am not surprised here and certainly glad that I hadn't bought it on pre-order. I may buy it at some point in the future when it is cheap but for right now, I'd rather carry on waiting for GTA V to come to PC.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 10:54   #3
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Good review, the only thing i'd disagree with is the chasing mechanics. I found them to be rather bland, in the way that its very difficult to lose the police WITHOUT using your phone, yet as soon as you do they immediately crash into everything and thats you away pretty much free. Also, i was hoping for some sort of graphics comparison
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 10:56   #4
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Exactly what I expected it to be - and a very entertaining review to sum it all up. As someone who could take or leave GTA4 and Sleeping Dogs, I will not play this until I can pick it up for less than a fiver.

Hopefully by that point it will be slightly more patched up, since although the review doesn't touch on optimisation I have read from numerous sources about how ****ed it is at the moment.
Old 30th May 2014, 10:58   #5
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Exactly what I expected it to be - and a very entertaining review to sum it all up. As someone who could take or leave GTA4 and Sleeping Dogs, I will not play this until I can pick it up for less than a fiver.

Hopefully by that point it will be slightly more patched up, since although the review doesn't touch on optimisation I have read from numerous sources about how ****ed it is at the moment.
Actually dude, in comparison to this, i found sleeping dogs to be much better! especially in terms of fighting mechanics etc. This is defo more of a bargain bin buy than a AAA £40 title.
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 11:17   #6
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I was upset when two days after buying a Nvidia 760 with a free copy of Daylight, the free copy of Watchdogs offer was announced, I even thought about returning my card for a refund and buying another one with the new offer, but in the end I couldn't be arsed.

After reading this, I'm no longer upset on missing out and glad I didn't do the (slightly) disreputable thing of returning the GPU.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 11:25   #7
matee
Multimodder

matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice review.
This is what I thought of the game
10 mins: what a disappointment its a driving game (not a good one too)
1h: ok this is growing on me
2h: this is fun
3h+: booooring. why the hell did I preorder? should I cancel my Destiny preorder?

Kinda wished I went for Wolfenstein, that would have been more fun I guess.
matee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 12:07   #8
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
One of the few sub 8+ 80% reviews I've seen in truth, game has flaws anyone expecting ground breaking stuff will be disappointed, then again ubisofts last ground breaking game was the original Ass Creed.

Would of liked to see some graphic comparisons.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 13:12   #9
vajoiner
What's a Dremel?

vajoiner has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
racing around 'is' really fun but running into a telephone pole at 20mph an having it cleanly snap at the base like it was cut through with a laser is mildly annoying. are the poles of the future made of balsa?
also, failing a mini game freaking 10 rounds into it is.. massively annoying.
vajoiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 14:46   #10
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajoiner View Post
racing around 'is' really fun but running into a telephone pole at 20mph an having it cleanly snap at the base like it was cut through with a laser is mildly annoying. are the poles of the future made of balsa?
Not just balsa, but pre-sawed balsa held together by a few strands. That way even if you walk into it it shears cleanly at the base.

Knowledge is power.
Old 30th May 2014, 14:55   #11
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And that's why I like clean linear RPG-shooters like Borderlands or ME. They may not offer as much options, but they deliver on what "little" they offer.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 14:58   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vajoiner View Post
Fun fact: modern street furniture is specifically designed to shear cleanly at the base. This is normally achieved by creating the device in two halves: a chunk that goes into the ground, and the bit that remains on top. These are then bolted together in such a way that they're perfectly secure while swaying around in the wind, but if something causes a shearing force - such as the above-ground bit being hit by a car, for example - the bolts will split, allowing the top part to be pushed harmlessly out of the way. Old wooden telegraph poles, not so much - but if you take a look at a modern set of streetlights, traffic lights or road signs, you'll see that they're 'hovering' above the ground and are supported by four or more bolts for exactly this reason. This company calls the design a "breakaway 'H' base," but I don't know whether that's a universal term or not.

Interesting, eh?
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 15:06   #13
dolphin-promotions
Modder

dolphin-promotions has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The game is plagued with technical problems. I couldn't install from CD, then had to update my graphics drivers, and now I am lucky if it lasts 30 minutes before completely crashing. I have tried several of the recommended fixes with little/no luck. I think it is affecting AMD cards the worst.

Really disappointed.
dolphin-promotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 16:11   #14
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
<snip>Interesting, eh?
Or falls backwards onto the car that just hit it, not that doing that is any different than what happens with ye olde style of lampposts.

Hitting lampposts in a virtual game world is wayyy more fun than when it happens in RL
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 16:42   #15
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
For the people asking for graphics comparisons, it's something I did try to organise in time for the launch, but I was unable to source a review code sadly. It's still something I'd like to do, but for now it's on the backburner, what with Computex starting on Monday and me being away shortly after. Those features take a long time to put together, so I don't want to make any promises, but your calls have not got unheard
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 16:42   #16
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Or falls backwards onto the car that just hit it, not that doing that is any different than what happens with ye olde style of lampposts.
A lamppost isn't heavy enough to do any significant¹ damage to the car if it topples on top - especially compared to the damage it would do if it were rigid in the ground and you drove into it. At speed, it will also fall over the car rather than on the car.

Now, if you want really clever street furniture, have a look at the lampposts that have hinges on 'em. Lets you replace the bulb without needing a cherry picker (or, for the old-fashioned, a ladder), or lower 'em so that a wide load - such as an aircraft - can pass down a dual carriageway without knocking 'em all down.

I love the engineering that goes into stuff we just see every day without a second thought. It's acebest!

It's also completely off-topic, so I'm going to shut up now. GO ENGINEERING!

1: I should clarify, here, that it'll ruin the car; I just mean it's not going to crush it and kill the occupants, which is the sort of thing you're designing against here.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 30th May 2014 at 16:48.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 17:10   #17
Chris_Waddle
Another World Cup let down

Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Chris_Waddle is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well I got this free with the nVidia offer. I've only played for a couple of hours, but it took me almost 3 hours to play for this long due to Uplay login issues, failing to synch to cloud etc.

Once I eventually got into the game, I set it up for bevel adjusted 5760x1080 and wished I hadn't.
I don't know what it was doing, but everything seemed unbelievably close up. When I tried to use the G button to bring up the stored gadgets, it was also massive and went off the screen at the top and the bottom. It was an awful experience.

Once I'd changed it back to single screen (and got Uplay to login again) it ran really well.
I'll be interested to see if the review holds for me too. I'm in the just get using to things and enjoying phase; I do hope I don't find the rest of it a grind.
Chris_Waddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 19:52   #18
ya93sin
Minimodder

ya93sin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The driving is more arcadey than in Saints Row, now that's saying something.

Maybe when they release a mod for that the driving will be bearable.

Mafia II with the realism mode had the best feel in my opinion.
ya93sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 00:04   #19
N17 dizzi
Packet of mints and a Phillips head

N17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Looks and sounds like it could have been much more, the control given with the phone hacking had a lot of promise. Maybe a sequel or GTA VI can filter the crap, and add to what is original
N17 dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 01:06   #20
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Apart from the what now seems to be usual online and logging in problems that paying customers(but not pirates) seem to get, I have enjoyed the game so far. I am really enjoying the 1 vs 1 hacking, when it actually works and finds me a match. It is kind of hard to hack a player to 100% but I have managed it once, other times I have managed to escape using the phone to hack traffic lights, blockers ect.
THe single player game is a bit boring, I only really do the online stuff now. I don't expect to be playing the game for long, probably a month at most, but I enjoy it more than a lot of other games I have bought recently.

Personally I think your score is a bit harsh, but I can see that Ubisoft gave us massive expectations for this game that didnt really deliver, the gfx in the 2012 demo were far superior to the Ultra settings that I get on my 9 month old top of the range PC, so I was dissapointed to see that dumbed down alot.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote