1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA shutters Mythic Entertainment

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. demastes

demastes What's a Dremel?

#JusticeForDungeonKeeper!

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't that list a bit wrong ?

I thought Criterion Games still made games like Burnout Paradise (2008) and Need for Speed Rivals (2013), Bioware made Dragon Age: Origins (2009) and Mass Effect 3 (2012). And didn't Dice just get renamed to EA DICE, same with Maxis being renamed to EA Maxis.

One name missing though is Pandemic Studios.
    AFAIK EA hasn't closed down many notable studios in its history, it just tends to make them a subsidiary.
    Not that being a subsidiary is very far from being closed down.

5. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

The list is floating around since 2010ish, so it's not quite up to date.

The point the original author tried to make is not that those studios have been shut down, although a few of them have been, but whatever led them to make great game series has been utterly bled dry for cash and then left to die by EA.

*Post might contain exaggeration

6. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

must be a hard pill to swallow to be a dev and be told to make a "social game" that is 10% game 90% tedious reptition but make it in such a fashion that they will force the users into micro transactions over and over, moreso than creating a game thats both enjoyable and feels complete (without a main in game currency like they all do nowadays).

Makes you wonder exactly how much control EA has over the design of the game. I cant imagine a true games developer actually wanting to create such a turd like they did with DK when using that IP would give an enthusiastic dev tons of potential to make a kick arse game

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

All this hate for EA...and not a moment spent thinking about the utter douchebags who built up great studios, made great games (often with EA as their publisher) AND THEN SOLD THEIR STUDIOS OFF TO EA FOR MONEY-IN-THE-POCKET.

I don't blame them, mind you....if I'd made Command & Conquer, or Baldur's Gate, and EA came along and offered me gazillions for my studio, I'd sell out too.

But let us not pretend that EA devours all mercilessly. The studio owners are to blame for selling out...as if it was ever going to end up any other way than the studios being turned into money-making machines and then chewed up and spat out as soon as the money (and innovation) runs dry. Why else would EA be spending the big bucks buying them out if not to exploit their new prey? The greedy ones are the dev-studio owners who sell their beloved companies and IP to the publishers.

</rant over>

8. Panos

Panos Minimodder

"but the company struggled to find traction against Activision-Blizzard's seminal World of Warcraft."

You do forget that DAOC was almost 5 years old by the time WoW was released.