bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Jun 2014, 10:00   #1
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X OC Review

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Vapor-X OC Review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...-x-oc-review/1
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2014, 16:54   #2
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Surely comparing this to the stock/asus 290 (and all the other radeons for that matter) is a bit unfair when they're tested with catalyst 13.12 and this with 14.4, you have no idea if the difference is due to it being a better card or due to driver optimization.
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2014, 04:57   #3
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Thanks for the 1920x1080 numbers! Definitely makes it easier for me to compare apples to apples when I run my benchmarks on Valley. I'm not planning on upgrading anytime soon, but when I do, at least I can get a good idea of what to look at it in comparison to my current setup.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Thermaltake Smart M 850W - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display

Last edited by LordPyrinc; 6th Jun 2014 at 05:19.
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2014, 10:47   #4
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Most reviews say the card is over priced. With r290x when on daily deal a cheaper faster option. Unless you must have vapor x chamber.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2014, 11:16   #5
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBuilderSven View Post
Surely comparing this to the stock/asus 290 (and all the other radeons for that matter) is a bit unfair when they're tested with catalyst 13.12 and this with 14.4, you have no idea if the difference is due to it being a better card or due to driver optimization.
There haven't really been any big leaps in performance from the drivers, more so compatibility fixes, you can read the driver release notes for that info.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2014, 05:06   #6
Neogumbercules
Mod Master

Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neogumbercules is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Something to keep in mind about Sapphire is that their warranty process is an absolute nightmare. If this thing goes bad on you after the retailer limited warranty expired (for Newegg that's 30 days) then you better be prepared for a long, costly, headache of a process dealing with a third party.

That's right. Sapphire DOES NOT service their warranty....directly. They will respond to your warranty request with a link to some nebulous company you've never heard of, a pat on the shoulder and a "good luck" email. You then have to send your card, at your own expense, to this organization and wait several weeks while they dig through a trash bin to send you back a refurbished POS card to replace the one you bought new. Everything I've researched about the company they use in the US has pretty much been all bad.

My advice, buy from a manufacturer that cares enough about their consumers to handle their own warranty.

Luckily the problem with my card was just a scare, and I was able to correct the issue myself, but I feel like I really dodged a bullet.

Last edited by Neogumbercules; 9th Jun 2014 at 05:14.
Neogumbercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2014, 20:01   #7
beef1e
What's a Dremel?

beef1e has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neogumbercules View Post
Something to keep in mind about Sapphire is that their warranty process is an absolute nightmare. If this thing goes bad on you after the retailer limited warranty expired (for Newegg that's 30 days) then you better be prepared for a long, costly, headache of a process dealing with a third party.

That's right. Sapphire DOES NOT service their warranty....directly. They will respond to your warranty request with a link to some nebulous company you've never heard of, a pat on the shoulder and a "good luck" email. You then have to send your card, at your own expense, to this organization and wait several weeks while they dig through a trash bin to send you back a refurbished POS card to replace the one you bought new. Everything I've researched about the company they use in the US has pretty much been all bad.

My advice, buy from a manufacturer that cares enough about their consumers to handle their own warranty.

Luckily the problem with my card was just a scare, and I was able to correct the issue myself, but I feel like I really dodged a bullet.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Sapphire warranty, this is something that i would never have considered.

Do you know if they operate the same here in the UK?
beef1e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
r9 290