bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jun 2014, 11:40   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ubisoft holding back completed Wii U titles

Ubisoft is waiting for the Wii U to have a larger install base before it can justify releasing dedicated titles for the console according to company chief executive Yves Guillemot.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...wii-u-titles/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2014, 15:37   #2
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I don't get it - if the game is already done, how is releasing the game now a problem? The only problem I understand is they'd be obligated to lower the price after a few months, so if there aren't enough WiiU owners then that wouldn't be very cost effective. But, what if the console never reaches the amount they expect? Then they're not getting any money at all.

If CD Projekt Red thought releasing Witcher 2 for linux was worth the time and effort, I'm pretty sure Ubisoft will still make some decent cash releasing a game for Wii U. People don't want the console specifically because it lacks games. Ubisoft might not be digging their own grave but they're still walking straight toward it.
Old 10th Jun 2014, 19:36   #3
fix-the-spade
Ultramodder

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This makes a degree of sense. There aren't very many Wii U's around now, but Nintendo is bringing a bunch of titles along this year that should drive sales. Sitting on those releases for six months waiting for Christmas and hopefully a larger install base (as well as sharing the market with Nintendo only) makes more sense than releasing now, then having your expensive game in the bargain bins by the time Wii U sales number are (hopefully) better at the year's end.
fix-the-spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2014, 20:24   #4
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It would also cost them to publish the game in terms of advertising, packaging, shipping, and royalties.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2014, 20:36   #5
Porkins' Wingman
Can't touch this

Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.
Presumably Ubisoft are taking the same approach to Xbone games too, seeing as the install base for that is even smaller than the Wii U's...
"Porkins' Wingman's post is just about the most thoughtful, inciteful post I have ever read on a public forum anywhere. It has made me think....which is no mean feat in itself." - Provoking thought since 8th March 2014
Porkins' Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2014, 23:15   #6
dstarr3
Minimodder

dstarr3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I suppose the game is made, so it's not going to cost them any more money until they begin marketing and distributing. So I guess it makes sense to wait to invest further money until the returns are likely to be higher. They're not making money until then, but they're also not spending money. At least on that project.
dstarr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2014, 23:19   #7
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Kind of circular reasoning isn't it?

1) "we wont release it because there's not enough people using the WiiU"
2) "why aren't there more people using the WiiU?"
3) "because there aren't enough big/good games for it"
4) go to 1
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2014, 00:41   #8
theshadow2001
Mod Master

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
I don't get it - if the game is already done, how is releasing the game now a problem? The only problem I understand is they'd be obligated to lower the price after a few months, so if there aren't enough WiiU owners then that wouldn't be very cost effective. But, what if the console never reaches the amount they expect? Then they're not getting any money at all.
Initial sales are the big hitters. Then they drop off quickly. They are an important part of recouping the investment. Someone has run the numbers on this. They know where they need to be in order to be maximise profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon View Post
Kind of circular reasoning isn't it?

1) "we wont release it because there's not enough people using the WiiU"
2) "why aren't there more people using the WiiU?"
3) "because there aren't enough big/good games for it"
4) go to 1
It would be, if this was the only factor influencing unit sales of the wii. But you have other developers, other content, Nintendo marketing, etc. They are just waiting for all of that to take effect

Last edited by theshadow2001; 11th Jun 2014 at 01:00.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2014, 04:20   #9
Vallachia
Minimodder

Vallachia has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins' Wingman
Presumably Ubisoft are taking the same approach to Xbone games too, seeing as the install base for that is even smaller than the Wii U's...
Hehe. Noooo.

MS will just throw money at them to ensure a timely release.
Vallachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2014, 11:56   #10
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
It's a mix of of what Corky & theshadow said & them wanting it to pay off rather than a weak amount of sales & them all ending up circulated 2nd hand, makes sense to me.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ubisoft, wii u, yves guillemot