bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Jul 2014, 12:20   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Silent Power seeks funds for copper foam cooled PC

Campaign raises some red flags, though.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ent-power-pc/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 12:23   #2
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
"minus applicable transaction fees" is suitably vague...
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 12:24   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeK View Post
"minus applicable transaction fees" is suitably vague...
They basically mean you'll lose the PayPal fee - otherwise they'd be on the hook for a big chunk of change if they fall just short of their goal.
Old 1st Jul 2014, 13:45   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
They basically mean you'll lose the PayPal fee - otherwise they'd be on the hook for a big chunk of change if they fall just short of their goal.
I thought the way these things worked was you made a pledge, then if the target was hit it was automatically charged to your paypal/credit card; if the target wasn't met then you wouldn't pay anything. In that case, why would there be transaction fees? Seems a bit cheeky if anyone is skimming a margin on a failed and refunded pledge, and it would definitely discourage me from crowd-funding anything if that's the way it worked.
Old 1st Jul 2014, 14:08   #5
fix-the-spade
Hypermodder

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
I thought the way these things worked was you made a pledge, then if the target was hit it was automatically charged to your paypal/credit card; if the target wasn't met then you wouldn't pay anything.
That's how it works on Kickstarter and the other 'official' crowd funding sites, if you're pledging onto a project's own website then it's very much a free for all, be careful.
fix-the-spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2014, 22:07   #6
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
The Silent Power has other tricks up its sleeve, too: a sensor at the front of the chassis is said to detect the direction of movement of large objects within two metres. The team suggests it could be used to wake the system from sleep when you approach, or lock it against intrusion when you leave your desk.
If it can only detect large objects, how is it going to "protect against intrusion" when you're not at your desk?
Old 1st Jul 2014, 23:12   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez View Post
If it can only detect large objects, how is it going to "protect against intrusion" when you're not at your desk?
By locking the desktop when you walk away. How else would it work? You can get software that does the same thing when your phone leaves Bluetooth range.
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 00:17   #8
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
By locking the desktop when you walk away. How else would it work? You can get software that does the same thing when your phone leaves Bluetooth range.
So if locks the system as you walk away does it unlock when you return? Because that could be anyone while you're away

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 07:55   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelzebub View Post
So if locks the system as you walk away does it unlock when you return? Because that could be anyone while you're away
No. Why would it do that? You approach your desk in the morning, the sensor sees you and wakes the system from sleep to a password lock screen. You leave your desk to get lunch, the sensor sees you and returns the system to sleep, or the password lock screen. Have you ever worked in an office? Every time you leave your desk, you hit Super+L to lock the system. This automates that process, just like the Bluetooth proximity example above.

Understand now?

EDIT: Although there *are* variants of the Bluetooth trick that *can* unlock the system as well as lock it, by exploiting the pairing between the phone and the desktop. The sensor can't duplicate that trick, obviously - just the locking part.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 2nd Jul 2014 at 08:12.
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 10:16   #10
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the idea in theory, but I can't see it being practical.

For a start, isn't copper foam quite soft and malleable? I could see the thing gradually becoming covered in indentations from the slightest touches and knocks. Not that that would matter too much, because it would surely become an ugly grey colour over time as it fills up with dust anyway - how on earth would you keep it properly clean? I doubt even vacuuming it would be enough to keep it looking nice.

The thing looks more like a theoretical wish-list than a proper business project...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 10:24   #11
Impatience
Supermodder

Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.Impatience is definitely a rep cheat.
Maybe they could cover it in a... No that wouldn't work, because then it wouldn't get the air to cool it!
Impatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 13:55   #12
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Teelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming SaiyanTeelzebub is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
No. Why would it do that? You approach your desk in the morning, the sensor sees you and wakes the system from sleep to a password lock screen. You leave your desk to get lunch, the sensor sees you and returns the system to sleep, or the password lock screen. Have you ever worked in an office? Every time you leave your desk, you hit Super+L to lock the system. This automates that process, just like the Bluetooth proximity example above.

Understand now?

EDIT: Although there *are* variants of the Bluetooth trick that *can* unlock the system as well as lock it, by exploiting the pairing between the phone and the desktop. The sensor can't duplicate that trick, obviously - just the locking part.
Right so still need passwords, Oh no thank god never worked in an office can't imagine a worse fate than that

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI 2 x Dell U27" @ 2560 x 1440, 4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 08:46   #13
blackworx
Cable Wrangler

blackworx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
More to the point, block scripts on the website and their fancy heading font disgracefully fails back to Comic Sans. Kill it with fire.
blackworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 22:51   #14
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackworx
More to the point, block scripts on the website and their fancy heading font disgracefully fails back to Comic Sans. Kill it with fire.
While I'm aware that hating Comic Sans is the cool thing to do on the internet I'd be far more concerned about the fact that every other PC Cooling Revolution in the last 10 years or so has turned out to either be fake, only work in lab conditions or be prohibitively expensive rather than the choice of font.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copper foam, crowd funding, crowdfunding, holger ficht, indiegogo, intel, metal foam, michaela leimberger, nvidia, passive cooling, pc, silent power, silent power pc, stefan klaussner