bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Jul 2014, 09:07   #1
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Valiant Hearts: The Great War Review

Rick takes a look at the mix of World War One and comedy car chases that is Valiant Hearts: The Great War
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2014/...earts-review/1
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2014, 04:52   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Ah, Waltz with Bashir. Should really watch that again!
Old 11th Jul 2014, 09:10   #3
Flexible_Lorry
Minimodder

Flexible_Lorry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
While I'm not sure I agree with the review, 60% is about right for this.
Flexible_Lorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2014, 13:13   #4
abezors
Lurking since '08

abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.abezors is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexible_Lorry
While I'm not sure I agree with the review, 60% is about right for this.
Agreed on score, though I'd personally like to push it up to something like 65%.

Whilst I agree with the reviewers comparison between Blackadder's morbid gallows humour and the games almost "endearingly cute" form of it, I don't see it as a way of covering-up or lightening the mood at all. For example, the player may well be marching through no-mans land with soup ladle in hand, but in the background you cannot fail to watch dozens of your countrymen get machine-gunned / choke to death on mustard gas/ obliterated by artillery etc. Yes, you could avert your eyes and choose to ignore these things happening all around you (as you can in any game), but I feel that the humour is indeed an effective method to highlight the sheer ridiculousness of the Great War, even if you feel it is slightly clumsy and cartoonish at times it does work.
abezors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2014, 17:18   #5
BD Hopkins
Minimodder

BD Hopkins has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great review choice!

I get that you, the reviewer, have noticed the uncomfortable juxtaposition of humor and horror in this game. This is good, as it means you are a thinking human being who is not completely desensitized to the violence in the game.

However (and this is an honest question), how do you know that the slapstick is meant to juxtapose the horrors of war and demonstrate the lunacy of it; how do you know it is just not desensitized disregard for violence as entertainment, as per the industry modus operandi?
BD Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote