bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Jul 2014, 11:59   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
US government lays claim to foreign-held data

Sets out its argument against Microsoft.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...foreign-data/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2014, 13:41   #2
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd have thought that, given that the data is held (presumably) wholly in another country, then surely International and Irish law would apply in this case, regardless of whether the owner or user is based in the US? Presumably the datacentre in Ireland is run by Microsoft Eire Ltd?

Of course, IANAL, and I'm sure common sense never counts when laws are made

Given the effect that US spying in Germany has had recently, I don't think the US Government is in a position to start demanding data held in other countries.
Old 15th Jul 2014, 14:04   #3
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Soon we'll have a booming cloud server industry in places like Switzerland and the Caiman Islands. "All your data are safe and confidential with us...".
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2014, 22:54   #4
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pretty sure constitution automatically renders any law that conflicts with its laws invalid. "Stored Communications Act overrules the Fourth Amendment" This is logically impossible as they are basically stating that the law is unconstitutional and is therefor invalid. A law other than a constitutional amendment can not override a law of the Constitution. Claiming that it does is the same as stating that it is logically not in agreement with the 4th and that it is therefore logically an invalid law.
Old 15th Jul 2014, 23:00   #5
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
(Corrected, thanks G) If any IT managers still use cloud servers provided by any business with a branch based in the US then they don't deserve to hold on to their jobs, plus marched outside the office and fixed via firing squad.

(Added) personal view, plus **** day, equals drama statement in my post.
(Added) day 2. Only moderately better than the previous day, therefore extra drama injected into my post.

Last edited by forum_user; 16th Jul 2014 at 09:46.
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2014, 23:05   #6
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think European companies should welcome this, as this makes it impossible for any US owned company to actually sell services to non-US territories, as they will be by law in violation with local laws, like EU data protection directive.
Old 15th Jul 2014, 23:20   #7
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO <ibis> View Post
Pretty sure constitution automatically renders any law that conflicts with its laws invalid. "Stored Communications Act overrules the Fourth Amendment" This is logically impossible as they are basically stating that the law is unconstitutional and is therefor invalid. A law other than a constitutional amendment can not override a law of the Constitution. Claiming that it does is the same as stating that it is logically not in agreement with the 4th and that it is therefore logically an invalid law.
Indeed. But we all know that George Dubja Bush left his retard cooties* all over the White House which then went on to infect everyone who has entered the building since. So now the whole US government are retards.

*Particle physicists have postulated that Bush, like many dumbasses, emits morons: particles of cluelessness. When too many morons accumulate in a given space, they have a degenerative effect on reasons (particles of rationality) and slow down the speed of cognition. Hence we talk about "retards".
Old 16th Jul 2014, 04:49   #8
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How in the hell does this have anything in any way to do with Bush!?
Old 16th Jul 2014, 05:36   #9
siliconfanatic
Johny-come-lately

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
EVERYTHING

Very good point about constitutional superiority, but then nexxo is also correct, our government is composed of former dumbasses that have since put their brains on permanent leave and became full-time fu#ktards.
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2014, 08:52   #10
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
MS are caught between a rock and a hard place - and we will see a proxy `war` between the US and everyone else.
Old 16th Jul 2014, 09:04   #11
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconfanatic View Post
EVERYTHING

Very good point about constitutional superiority, but then nexxo is also correct, our government is composed of former dumbasses that have since put their brains on permanent leave and became full-time fu#ktards.
The whole US government went completely of its already precarious moral cliff when Bush came into office. It went hysterical.

The moron theory certainly has some weight when you observe the effect that George Bush had on the UK Prime Minister Tony Blair. He went from reasonably bright, pragmatic politician to complete and utter 'tard as soon as Bush walked into the room. He has not been the same since. Seriously, I'm inclined to look for an alien parasite nestling in his brain stem or something.
Old 16th Jul 2014, 09:20   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_user View Post
If any IT managers still use US cloud servers then they don't deserve to hold on to their jobs.
Read the article (or just the headline) again: the appeal is against the US requesting data from non-US cloud servers. You don't even have to be a US company to be targeted; just have a branch of your business in the US. The list of large-scale cloud providers that don't do business in the US would be very, very short.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2014, 09:47   #13
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Read the article (or just the headline) again: the appeal is against the US requesting data from non-US cloud servers. You don't even have to be a US company to be targeted; just have a branch of your business in the US. The list of large-scale cloud providers that don't do business in the US would be very, very short.
Thank you. Have corrected my original post! 110% **** day yesterday meant that I didn't get as far as any headlines! and even then mis-read them
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2014, 12:31   #14
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
GCHQ probably has the data the US want already and will give it to them, isn't that what happened when the s**t originally hit the fan, it emerged that GCHQ had circumvented UK legal procedures and protocols by obtaining data on UK residents directly from the US, GCHQ then proclaimed that they had not broken any laws regarding surveillance and data gathering because they did not gather the data, they simply obtained it straight from the US, I'll show you mine if you...

Skulduggery - case mod

Motorcycle Action Group. The Right to Ride.
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2014, 13:28   #15
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
encrypted at source then stored on the cloud as encrypted, and encrypted again, surely the data would be useless

ps I haven't read the article yet, as there seems to be a problem with bit servers
Old 16th Jul 2014, 14:30   #16
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
encrypted at source then stored on the cloud as encrypted, and encrypted again, surely the data would be useless

ps I haven't read the article yet, as there seems to be a problem with bit servers
Since when has encryption been an issue for NSA, GCHQ, they seem to have a backdoor to most encryption methods and have the dubious legal powers to eliminate any software and software developers that won't play ball with them

Skulduggery - case mod

Motorcycle Action Group. The Right to Ride.
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2014, 14:32   #17
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
it isn't only us companies developing encryption
Old 16th Jul 2014, 16:22   #18
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
it isn't only us companies developing encryption
Irrelevant as they can simply choose between screaming Terrorists or Pedos and then you will be forced to hand over the encryption keys.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2014, 20:13   #19
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

If they accuse me of being a paedo, I'll just bristle with indignation and say: "Sir, you confuse me with a member of parliament!".
Old 17th Jul 2014, 16:16   #20
ModSquid
Multimodder

ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
Of course, IANAL...
You do?

Sorry...
ModSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud, cloud computing, cloud storage, federal court, microsoft, privacy, sca, security, us government