bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Jul 2014, 09:12   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
MP calls for MMO crimes to have real-life punishments

World of Warcraft player on the warpath.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...e-weatherley/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 09:36   #2
Stotherd-001
Knows what a dremel is. Shock.

Stotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the DremelStotherd-001 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Eve would suddenly get a lot less - or more - interesting.

Yeah.
Stotherd-001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 09:58   #3
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm no lawyer, but how is theft of other digital "work" dealt with. i.e if someone hacked into a company and stole the only copy of some digital work, or caused other forms of damage.

Point I'm probably badly trying to make is, isn't theft and hacking already punishable by the legal system ?
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 10:05   #4
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
I'm no lawyer, but how is theft of other digital "work" dealt with. i.e if someone hacked into a company and stole the only copy of some digital work, or caused other forms of damage.

Point I'm probably badly trying to make is, isn't theft and hacking already punishable by the legal system ?
That's firstly computer misuse act before it's anything else, and they would probably start with that. Most things are computer misuse act, accessing things you shouldn't etc. I don't know where digital theft falls, I assume you can get done for it. I am no lawyer either just speculating.

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 10:05   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
I'm no lawyer, but how is theft of other digital "work" dealt with. i.e if someone hacked into a company and stole the only copy of some digital work, or caused other forms of damage. Point I'm probably badly trying to make is, isn't theft and hacking already punishable by the legal system ?
There are laws - Computer Misuse Act 1990 is the most pertinent - but they wouldn't see the player as the victim. As a result, the company that owns and/or operates the servers for the game would have to press charges, and that's not likely to happen. The Theft Act 1968 is a difficult one to apply to the digital realm, as it uses the definition 'dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.' Is a Flaming Sword of +1 Ball-Stabbing 'property,' when it A) doesn't exist and 2) is only being licensed to the player for as long as they continue to pay a subscription fee? If I take it from your character illegitimately, do I have the 'intention of permanently depriving the other of it' when Blizzvendi could just create a copy of it back into your account at zero cost? Then we're back to 'belonging to another:' technically the sword isn't yours, it's Blizzvendi's; do we need them to press charges?

Interesting sidebar: this definition of theft is why we have the crime of 'taking without owner's consent,' or TWOCing: a joyrider that claims he or she fully intended to return the car to the original owner minus a little petrol and tyre rubber - or does, in fact, return the car and is caught post-facto - cannot be guilty of theft, as there was no 'intention to permanently deprive.'
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 10:10   #6
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ownership is such a hard one these days, I think most of my digital things are merely licensed, most of my games, music etc. It's all subscription service. The law I feel maybe is a bit old fashioned in it's approach to safe-guarding consumers in this arena. I don't think the laws should be specific to mmo's, they should just make laws that better protect consumers with licensed material.

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 10:12   #7
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
"Here, there can only be lies" --Pat Cadigan, on virtual reality
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 10:29   #8
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
Weatherly's older constituents are wondering why the hell their MP is wasting time with such pointless gaming nonsense, 'Won't be voting for him again!' and the younger gamers in his constituency are unsurprisingly, too busy gaming to notice what he's said and generally have little interest in politics and don't vote, so overall, he's not helped himself a lot

Skulduggery - case mod

Motorcycle Action Group. The Right to Ride.
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 10:59   #9
blacko
Multimodder

blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.
This explains why the country is the way it is...Dave and his mates are running raids instead of running the UK!

for the horde!
blacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 11:07   #10
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra
Weatherly's older constituents are wondering why the hell their MP is wasting time with such pointless gaming nonsense, 'Won't be voting for him again!' and the younger gamers in his constituency are unsurprisingly, too busy gaming to notice what he's said and generally have little interest in politics and don't vote, so overall, he's not helped himself a lot
No, I don't agree with that, I think that's too much of a sweeping generalisation. Older people are just young people who have been around a long time - they're not a different species!

While many of them won't understand the intricacies of online gaming, (some will of course) they'll understand perfectly words like 'targeted', 'victim' and 'theft'. I don't understand the finer points of brain surgery, but I don't dismiss it as pointless.

Going back to what other people (and the article) have said, there clearly is a real-world time and financial impact of this kind of thing, so it definitely needs addressing. I think Margo Baggins hit the nail on the head, in that the law needs updating for consumer protection of online services in general.
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 11:15   #11
Panos
Multimodder

Panos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run CrysisPanos can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacko
This explains why the country is the way it is...Dave and his mates are running raids instead of running the UK!

for the horde!
Hahahahhaa good one
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 11:22   #12
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacko

for the horde!
Literally cried with laughter reading this, brilliant!!
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 12:18   #13
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
"corruption"

corrupting
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 12:24   #14
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra
I, for one, would prefer to see far more MPs taking action that isn't self-serving. This is a good thing
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 12:46   #15
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
^This^
MP's are meant to do what is right for us, not themselves.
IMHO it's why so many people dislike, distrust politicians, because they are perceived as being self-serving.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 12:52   #16
wolfticket
Downwind from the bloodhounds

wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.wolfticket is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX View Post
I, for one, would prefer to see far more MPs taking action that isn't self-serving. This is a good thing
It would be even less self serving if he didn't happen to be a wow player

This article seems (or, by way of the title, tries) to give the impression that in game "crimes" and "theft" will end up in court.

In fact he is talking about people hacking accounts and taking digital properties that have value, which you would have though would be crime under existing law anyway, albeit one that is very difficult to enforce.

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."
Dorothy L. Sayers (1893 - 1957)
wolfticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 12:53   #17
DLDeadbolt
Space Cadet

DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.
Honestly, I do hope they atleast give some of the companies a bollocking (I'm looking at you Valve) about how they handle theft of accounts, theft of items, trade scamming, account bans, etc.

Valve's policy is simple: Go Fork yourself.
(except for account theft, then its jump through all of these 1001 hoops, before we try and help you. Then, IF you get your account back and your items are all gone, tough ****.)

Get banned for any reason, there is no way in hell you will ever see your account again. I've seen people being banned for downloading a mod of the goddam Steam Workshop get banned... and the mod is still up there!
STEAM ID: DLDeadBolt
DLDeadbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2014, 18:55   #18
iggy
Hypermodder

iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.iggy is definitely a rep cheat.
Todays news: MP gets scammed in WoW, vows revenge.
Old 25th Jul 2014, 20:01   #19
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Hang em', the thieving little scrotes, I went back to a chest in Skyrim where I had put The Warhammer of Everlasting Winegums only to find it ad' been bleedin' alf inched. I'm bettin' it was her from number three Riften St. her eyes are way too close together and she's always hangin' around The Dodgy Geezer Inn pleedin' bleedin' poverty
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2014, 11:42   #20
Umbra
Supermodder

Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.Umbra is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX View Post
I agree, but the majority of his constituents will probably think he should be doing far more important things for his local area, with so many issues such as the bedroom tax, rises in council tax, combined with councils having less money to spend there are day centres, drop in centres and many facilities being closed and council services being stopped, what happens in the cyber-world of gaming is of absolutely no interest to people having serious life problems in the real world.

Skulduggery - case mod

Motorcycle Action Group. The Right to Ride.

Last edited by Umbra; 26th Jul 2014 at 11:57.
Umbra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crime, law, member of parliament, mike weatherley, mmo, mmorpg, parliament, punishment, theft, tory, world of warcraft