1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals The Joystick Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 27 Jul 2014.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hello all!

Since space combat games are making a huge comeback, I thought I'd make us a dedicated Joystick thread. A place where newbies can come for recommendations, joystick news, setups, mods, and general chit chat!

To kick things off, any X52 Pro owners out there should look to do the Magnet Mod if they feel their deadzone is too large. I nearly sold mine because I wasn't sure about the separate throttle and thought the deadzone was too large, but this made such a difference I've kept it, and am now in love!

For everyone looking for an X52 Pro, Dabs seem to be your best bet and appear to get reasonably regular deliveries (though they then sell out fast)

If anyone wants to write a general guide to joysticks etc, I'll include it in the first post!

2. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

just ordered myself a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas - i'll update you when I get it.

Iain

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

i didn't know joysticks were still sold

4. Parge

Nice! I don't think anyone on here actually has one of these so I'd be interested to hear opinions!

How's that cave by the way?

You can't even buy some models at the moment because they sell out as soon as they come in (Saitek X52/X55 etc)

5. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

JUST bought a logitech 3D Pro and I can't say I'm impressed.
    Not sure if it's getting use to it or what, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick for me.
    I still do significantly better with an Xbox 360 controller.
    Also, first one I got, the main trigger was stuck on full auto so even when idle while playing BF3
    (Playing on the ground and leaving the stick to sit off to the side until I needed it) my person would fire through every munition until empty. Had to return it for another.

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've got a 17 year old Logitech Extreme Pro that's always been rubbish. I kept meaning to get a better one but didn't.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I haven't used a Joystick on the PC since Star Wars: TIE Fighter and the first Wing Commander game.

Mouse and keyboard combo works just fine, and served me well enough through the remainder of the Wing Commander series and Free Lancer; among others.

8. Parge

Mine did this too (X52 Pro). I just turned off the joystick control for 'on foot' in the options menu which solved the problem.

I've not tried the 3D Pro, but I too am pretty good with a 360 controller in BF3. Maybe try another game designed for joystick? War Thunder?

Yes! I used to LOVE X-wing vs Tie Fighter with my joystick. I got so good at snapping of shots with the Interceptors quad laser cannons. Goodbye rebel scum (particularly those lumbering Y-Wings). The best was Freespace 2 though, I’m pretty sure that was the game killed my joystick.

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm pretty sure all that yanking and banking in WC and TF killed my joystick too - which is probably why I persevered with Mouse and KB.

Well, that and the fact that Joysticks and Flight controls started to get silly expensive. I used to have a pretty basic, but very effective, steering wheel to until it died, but I baulked at coughing up frikkin shedloads for a quality replacement.

I was left with the impression that these peripherals went from ubiquitous extras to niche luxuries almost overnight.

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I got a joystick recently just to play WC 4 again which I got from GOG

11. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Just got a Thrustmaster T-16000M from dabs for use with the new Elite title.

Been years since I used a stick(I think back in the Atari ST days). Never used one on the PC always found keyboard and mouse did the job but to be fair this is the first time I'll be playing a space flight sim on the PC.

I'm thinking it will be Marmite for me, love it or hate it.....

12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'm still using my old 2002 saitek Cyborg Rumble Force. :p Originally got it way back when I was playing Combat Flight sim(the original) and X-Wing Alliance.

13. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas using this huge piece of plastic

14. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Would you recommend it?

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

For the price definitely and very easy to set up

16. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

17. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Fraggin when allowed :P

Another +1 for the T-flight. For a budget stick its pretty accurate, with no yaw drift, a steady centre and pretty responsive. Not as many buttons as others though, but I'm currently using Keyboard Mouse and Xbox pad along with this in order to get the most out of Elite Dangerous!

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm seriously eyeing up getting a proper joystick for Elite: Dangerous and Enemy Starfighter.

I got Elite yesterday and whilst I can manage with a KB&M, it's less than ideal to be honest. So, I'm trying to decide between a Saitek x52 Pro and the x55 RHINO.

Best prices I can find for them respectively are Ebay for the X52 and Scan for the X55.

Ebay X52 Pro via United States - ~€150 + import duty of roughly €40

Scan X55 RHINO - €175 + shipping

Now, very little in the difference in term of price. The X52 is available now from that store and the X55 is meant to be available in 2 weeks time from Scan, though I'm sure that will slip as they're in such demand. I dislike long-distance purchases, so I'm wary against the Ebay option.

I'd like to just get a HOTAS setup from day one with two parts to it, rather than a single unit. The additional profiles I can set on either bit of kit is appealing too.

Any thoughts?

19. Parge

That is a very good price from Scan for the X55. Being mechanical parts, I think you are right to be wary of long distance purchases.

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm willing to sink that money into the X55, but only if Scan honour the pre-order price. Trying to get an answer through their live chat, nothing so far.

Edit: Got through to them and they stated that they will try to honour it, but if the supplier increases the cost, then I have the option of going ahead or cancelling the order.

For some reason, even with the Bit-Tech bonus for shipping, the delivery to a Parcel Motel point in Northern Ireland, is 13 sterling!

Last edited: 21 Aug 2014