1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fans angry with Rust dev for working on other games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Gamers in over-entitlement shocker! Some people really need to get a grip and stop whining like little kids :D

3. cps1974

cps1974 What's a Dremel?

Gamers with breathtaking sense of entitlement, I'm with bawjaws - get a grip children!

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Hmmm I can see where they're coming from to be honest; I mean they're funding Rust's development and it's far from complete.

I expect many would see it as them taking their foot off the pedal with regard to that project, plus wasn't this the game where they scrapped the old engine recently too?

I appreciate the developer has no obligation to just work on one game but the fact they're letting people pay for it as early access means they need to be aware they're being scrutinized more that normal.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If anything, I'd commend Facepunch for being sensible. Always good to plan ahead! Anyway, even if those 5 people were put back to working on Rust, it'd probably have little to no effect on delivery times anyway.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Just because they're working on other projects doesn't mean that they're not working on Rust, and to be frank they're under no obligation whatsoever to work on a crowdfunded project to the exclusion of all other business projects. I agree that they're under greater scrutiny because Rust is crowdfunded, but I think the issue here is that those who have put their money forward need to realise that they've not paid for Facepunch to work on Rust exclusively. In addition, people need to realise that they are taking a risk but parting with their money before a project is actually finished. Again, it's an over-inflated sense of entitlement at play here.

If the developer had said that they were stopping all work on Rust whilst they do some other stuff, then the backers might have a case to be displeased, but we don't even know whether Facepunch have taken guys away from Rust to work on these new projects - for all we know, they might have had 5 guys working on other stuff throughout.

7. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

It's not over-entitlement. People gave their money in good faith. When they see that the company isn't putting 100% into it then their faith is shaken. If it was a group of investors they would've grabbed the developers by the balls and squeezed a shitty game out of them in record time. I would say that if you have already paid for something in good faith, then you're the exact opposite of over-entitled.

How many times did HBO and Warner Bros depend on crowdfunding for their products? They pay for their own stuff so they do whatever the hell they want to do. You get crowdfunded? You invite every pledge to scrutinise you.

8. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

1 vote for the fans.

The devs have taken the money from fans who want a complete game. Seems reasonable to expect the game to be completed.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

This is the reason games should not do early access. They put themselves under pressure to deliver to a deadline if they go the early access route.

Personally stopped buying early access and croud funded games at the moment as very few have seen any real completion.

With the biggest ( star citizen) facing delays of a year +.

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I guess to the fans it doesn't look like they are in any rush to finish it while it's bringing in money they could just keep it on early access.

It's always near the top of the steam top sellers.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

All the people who were working on Rust, are still there. None of them have been pulled to work on their other games. People have backed a game, the game is still being made, they haven't paid to rent a games dev studio.

12. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Where is the announcement that Rust is being abandoned?

It is normal industry practice that when a game is deep in development that planning and concept development begins on other projects, often several.
    There are developers who are heavily used at the beginning of a game project (such as artists and modellers) who aren't as heavily used later on when these assets are already complete.
    Instead of them sitting around and twiddling their thumbs, they are put to actual paid work developing art and concepts for the next project.

This is so normal in any industry, the outrage is so stupid, it must be from people who have no idea what it is to work on large projects.

To use a hackneyed car analogy: it is like expecting the auto workers who make the car body to stop working on more car bodies when it moves on to be fitted out with interior and drivetrain. Or expecting them to move over and begin fitting those items themselves, despite perhaps not being suited or competent to the role.

13. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

No crowdfunding, no pledges, no kickstarter, no promises other than a finished game at the developers own schedule, not that of the early access purchasers.

14. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Adnoctum, you can do your best to defend them, but when they blog that they are self funding these multiple other projects - using the cash they made from selling this game - then of course the fans can be as angry as they like.

As far as I'm concerned if we buy a complete retail game then the profits pay for new projects. Or publishers finance new projects. But when gamers pay for early access to a game, regardless of technicalities, the game should see completion BEFORE money is siphoned away into new projects.

Personal view.

(Added)

I do see negative fan responses where it is unwarranted. Take for example the announcement that Valve have redesigned their controller. Then see various forums where responses read along the lines of "omg! they should finish HL3 before making controllers!!!".

The issue here is that the money truly is Valve's to do with as they please - not 1 fan has paid for HL3. THAT is self funding.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2014
  15. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Agreed, Rust is far from polished. It needs every dev it can get just now. Running little side projects off rust earnings is a bit of a kick in stones.

16. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Why do you think its off rust earnings and not Garrys Mod earnings? Facepunch has made quite a lot of money from Garrys Mod, and they don't owe their early access people anything. They're pretty clear what they were getting into and the majority of the company are working on that one product. It would be foolish for a business to put all their eggs into one basket.

I mentioned the risks to buying early access Rust on a RPS articles and Garry all credit to him replied to me and agreed on them. I'd link the conversation here but I'm not sure linking to other gaming websites would be proper e-etiquette.

Also sometimes throwing more manpower at a project slows it down rather than hurries it along, if everyone has a job to do and is getting on with it you cannot really expect more.

If anything I think its a case of caveat emptor when it comes to anything in early access.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The thing is, it's Early Access not crowdfunded. If it were crowdfunded, you know people pledging money to the development of Rust I'd understand where you're coming from. But it's not, it's early access. It's more like a preorder with alpha/beta/gamma access.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe because it says in the article that 0.04% of revenue from Rust went towards prototype development and out of the studio’s staff of 25, five of them are working on non-Rust projects.

Personally i don't see why people are throwing hissy fits. When you buy an early access game you are buying the game in it's current state and any future updates or development, if any.
    AFAIK nothing about early access prevents a developer from abandoning a project a week after someone buys it, or never releasing a completed game.

19. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

By paying for an early access game you are paying to: a) play the game in its current state and b) receive any updates that happen to be released. Nothing more.

If you think otherwise then you haven't understood the concept and should probably try reading about things before you pay for them.

20. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I disagree with discolouring Early Access this way. Paying for early access is a way to buy a retail game at a lower price, and before it is completed. Ok so it says in the terms that there is no guarantee a game will be completed, but that covers the backs of the providers whether that be Steam or the devs or whoever if the company goes belly up. When a dev earns a great deal of money, gamers have a right to expect the full game. To support a dev over the gamers is not only showing support for naive and/or unscrupulous devs in the future to screw their customers, but also it's counter-the-consumer.