bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Aug 2014, 11:36   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Razer teases Chroma RGB lighting system

To launch in September this year.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...razer-chroma/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2014, 12:05   #2
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Is it just my eyes or a mouse with poor quality multicolored LEDs that leave me not being able to tell the difference between the main color groups.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2014, 13:36   #3
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Read "We've run out of ideas, so were putting pretty colour changing lights on stuff until we think of something"
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2014, 14:47   #4
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
So, they took the MX knockoff Kailh switches, and switched the through-hole single colour LED with RGB LEDs. Whoopee.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2014, 14:57   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
So, they took the MX knockoff Kailh switches, and switched the through-hole single colour LED with RGB LEDs. Whoopee.
Do me a favour: go get your favourite microcontroller, 110 RGB LEDs, and wire them up so that you have individually-addressable analogue control over every single LED through a 16.7-million colour cycle. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Harder than you thought? That's because for individual-key RGB backlighting, you triple the number of connections you need. You can't just replace a single-colour THT LED with an RGB version: the two-lead single-colour part becomes a four-lead RGB equivalent. That's triple the signal wires, triple the control logic, and every single one of those signal wires needs analogue or PWM control in order to offer control through the entire 16.7 million colour spectrum.

Will I be buying a BlackWidow Ultimate Chroma? Hell no, it's ugly as sin and I can't stand backlit keyboards - never mind rainbow-coloured ones. Do I think that claiming Razer just swapped a few LEDs over and called it a day is unfair, inaccurate and coming from a position of clear ignorance? Yeah.
Old 14th Aug 2014, 15:19   #6
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I saw this board I think yesterday, maybe the day before on some facebook or another, maybe hotkeys project. Looks cool, I can appreciate the engineering but the board looks horrid.

Gareth is quite right - they haven't just dropped rgb led in to an existing keyboard design - someone clever has spent quite a while on that pcb.

I am tempted to get one just so I can take it apart and have a look at the pcb.

I think this is way better than the corsair rgb offerings, individually addressable diodes is a cool thing. even if it is using Kailh switches - which, as it goes, are not nearly as bad as they were years ago. While I would never jump for a board with Kailh switches, they aren't actually that bad.

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2014, 16:16   #7
Xploitedtitan
Minimodder

Xploitedtitan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My biggest laugh will be if they bring their keyboards out before Corsair. ^^

But if I had to choose, I'd go for Corsair RGB version, I want the non-recessed keys to facilitate cleaning.
Xploitedtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2014, 18:06   #8
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
Do me a favour: go get your favourite microcontroller, 110 RGB LEDs, and wire them up so that you have individually-addressable analogue control over every single LED through a 16.7-million colour cycle. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Harder than you thought? That's because for individual-key RGB backlighting, you triple the number of connections you need. You can't just replace a single-colour THT LED with an RGB version: the two-lead single-colour part becomes a four-lead RGB equivalent. That's triple the signal wires, triple the control logic, and every single one of those signal wires needs analogue or PWM control in order to offer control through the entire 16.7 million colour spectrum.

Will I be buying a BlackWidow Ultimate Chroma? Hell no, it's ugly as sin and I can't stand backlit keyboards - never mind rainbow-coloured ones. Do I think that claiming Razer just swapped a few LEDs over and called it a day is unfair, inaccurate and coming from a position of clear ignorance? Yeah.
Not with Neopixels, they're addressed via a single pin and you can network them together into chains of LED's, so quite simple then...
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Asus 780 Posiedon Platinium, 512GB Crucial Mx1000, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2014, 18:15   #9
-EVRE-
Supermodder

-EVRE- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post

Its not as hard as you think when the pixels are individually addressable(Rx +/- TX pins). An arduino with 328p, maybe even an ATTINY85 could handle this.
Even without the indivudual addressable pixels, its still not that hard, a few port multpliers on an Arduino it can be done. Ever seen those RGB LED cube videos on Youtube?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzX_hWKN5ak

Neo Pixel from Adafruit.com
http://www.adafruit.com/product/1559

They say their "Flora" chip hand handle 500 before it would run out of memory.
Old 14th Aug 2014, 18:17   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Pete View Post
Not with Neopixels, they're addressed via a single pin and you can network them together into chains of LED's, so quite simple then...
Aye, via I2C - because they have an embedded controller. In other words, someone has already done the hard work - just as Razer has for Chroma. Still proves my point, though: Neopixels are no more a drop-in upgrade for single-colour keyboards than plain RGB LEDs would be.

-EVRE- - see above. I'm very familiar with Neopixels and LED cubes. Want to show me how easy it is to convert a BlackWidow Ultimate to per-key RGB lighting? 'Cos that was the matter at hand. I've done Charlieplexing. I've used Neopixels. At no point did I claim it was impossible: merely that it's not a question, as claimed, of swapping out some LEDs and calling it done.
Old 14th Aug 2014, 23:42   #11
ksyruz
What's a Dremel?

ksyruz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The hilarity of Krapilh switches and their non Gold plating aside, it still begs the question WTF is Corsair is waiting for if these RGB switches if these switches are already being rolled out by their competition. Also, why don't these companies improve the mix keys and add rubber/silicone to the bottom to mask the bottoming out.
ksyruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2014, 07:10   #12
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksyruz View Post
The hilarity of Krapilh switches and their non Gold plating aside, it still begs the question WTF is Corsair is waiting for if these RGB switches if these switches are already being rolled out by their competition. Also, why don't these companies improve the mix keys and add rubber/silicone to the bottom to mask the bottoming out.
They are not the same switches I don't think - corsair have clear switches and smd led, I don't think that's the case with teh razer.

Plus the kailh switches can just be swapped out for MX switches.

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2014, 10:38   #13
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
The MX RGB switches use SMD LEDs embedded into the switch, so the LED illuminates more of the keycap as the switch body acts as a lightpipe (the current through-hole LED setup only illuminates at most one side due to the protruding keyswitch stem blocking the other side)

As for addressing the LEDs: Charlieplexing! 110 LEDs can be addressed with with 11 pins using PWM dimming.
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2014, 11:19   #14
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Whether it is was complicated or simple doesn't matter to me, that is for them as the manufacturer to sort out. I want things to look good and to have the options that I not only need but want too, and for me that includes the options of programmable RGB lighting. Will I use it to it's full extent? Of course not, but I am certain that the colour and brightness will be something that I choose and won't be a generic look.

What I like about the Corsair board is that it is going to link through their software and so, unless I am greatly mistaken, should you choose to use other corsair parts such as one of their 'i' series AIO's, you will easily be able to link them together so when you change the colour of one, they all change. That is something I like the idea of a lot. Push a button and your whole system, including peripherals all change from blue to red...
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlighting, blackwidow, blackwidow ultimate, chroma, deathadder, gaming peripherals, kraken 7.1, peripherals, razer chroma, rgb, rgb led