1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve adds Oculus Rift DK2 support to SteamVR

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Tried it last night and Steam VR is very cool.
    Half-life 2 is jaw dropping. I had many "wow" moments but the flying buzzsaw things are something else.
    Its hard to explain but the 3D is particularly impressive. The world just feels utterly believable.

Downside is I (currently) have to stop and rest after 30 mins as it makes me feel quite ill. Hoping that will improve. The loading screens don't have head tracking and if I don't keep very still, they can dial up the vomit factor fast.

3. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

i am the unlucky one i guess...

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I've heard about this problem - common for people who get motion sickness. I heard the Oculus Rift team is supposedly finding a way to fix this but I don't see how that's physically possible. The reason motion sickness happens is your eyes tell your brain that you're moving but the rest of your senses disagree, which gets your brain to think you're poisoned. And what does a healthy body do to poison? Vomit. So, unless they can find a way to stimulate the vestibule, I don't see how they can prevent motion sickness.

In the meantime, I'd suggest taking some Dramamine.

5. runadumb

I'll just plough on through. I've gotten much better since getting the rift 3 weeks ago. Some demos made me ill after only a few minutes at the start.

Baby steps and all that.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Well, motion sickness is a lot less severe when you're the one in control. If you're careful with the movement of the camera and don't run a lot in the game, you won't get sick that easily. But sit back to ride a virtual roller coaster and suddenly you need a new keyboard.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

That's a flaw VR will never solve, tablets to play a video game can't see that working out too well in truth. Surprised there's no steam OS support.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I also felt a bit out of sorts after half an hour of HL2, and I don't get motion sickness, and I'd been fine with all the other OR demos I've tried so far. It mainly seemed to be the speed of movement, standing still and looking around was ok.

I'm sure they're working on SteamOS support, but you have a combination of graphics drivers, the Oculus middleware and then the game engine to get working together and it's still a bit of a faff on Windows.

9. runadumb

Lasted an hour tonight. Holy crap is HL2 impressive in VR!

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Remember when people got motion sick playing Doom and Quake? that's a problem 3d video games will never solve!

In the near-term, the easy solution is not to produce games with vestibular mismatch; the only motion of the viewpoint being that produced by physical head movement. Cockpit-sims being an obvious example. There are also tricks that can be used to allow for alternate movement controls with minimal disturbance to the vestibular system (as we're good at sensing accelerations, but not velocity).

11. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Tonight, I too shall be dining on HL2 impressiveness after collecting my DK2 from the UPS depot. Although having seen the Elite Dangerous + DK2 vids on YouTube, it's difficult to know which game to start with!

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder