bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Aug 2014, 11:56   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel and Unity partner on Android x86 support

40 million x86 tablets to ship this year.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-partnership/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 10:55   #2
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Isn't that the point of ART in Android L? To have apps compatible with any CPU architectures? I realise that we're talking mainly about graphics here, but I'd be wary of Intel doing Intel-specific things, when part of the point of Android L is to remove the reliance on a single CPU arch.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 11:13   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
Isn't that the point of ART in Android L? To have apps compatible with any CPU architectures?
Err, no? At least, not as far as I'm aware: ART (which is available now - I'm using it on my Android 4.4.4 Nexus 4, and have been doing since 4.4.2) is just a switch from Dalvik's Just-In-Time (compile the Java every time the application is launched) methodology to Ahead-Of-Time (compile the Java once when the application is installed). It makes applications launch faster and consume less battery, but take up more space and take longer to install. However, it's no more or less cross-compatible than Dalvik - that aspect is unchanged.

At least, that's my understanding - I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong!
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 11:52   #4
BLC

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
ART is a cross-platform runtime which supports the x86, ARM, and MIPS architectures in both 32-bit and 64-bit environments. Unlike Dalvik, which uses just-in-time compilation (JIT), ART compiles apps upon installation, which are then run exclusively from the compiled version from then on.
And AnandTech:

Quote:
As such, it provides a multitude of compiler-backends targeting today's most common architectures such as ARM, x86 and MIPS. In addition, 64-bit support for ARM64, x86-64 and while still not implemented, also MIPS64.
I've always read this as effectively making all ART-compatible apps cross-platform by design, rather than needing to be built specifically for each architecture. Pretty sure I've seen that written somewhere too, but I can't cite that.

I'm also happy to be proven wrong .
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 11:59   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
From Wikipedia: [snip pretty much what I just said]
I've always read this as effectively making all ART-compatible apps cross-platform by design, rather than needing to be built specifically for each architecture.
That's from whence your misunderstanding stems. Dalvik also includes various compiler back-ends - that's why you can install (most) Android software on ARMv6, ARMv7, MIPS and x86 devices. Anandtech could have worded that bit better, I reckon - there's nothing new about that in ART. Trouble is, you can't do everything via Java - especially when you're looking at high-performance stuff like gaming. You need to have native code for that stuff, hence Microsoft's deal with Unity. That won't change with ART, or Android L - you'll still need to do native stuff when you need teh sp33dz0rz, while nicely cross-platform Java will work for other stuff.

EDIT: This example might make it clearer: if you write an app in Java for Android, it will run on any platform for which Dalvik or ART is available (which is to say, any Android device.) If you write an app which has non-Java stuff in it, it will run only on the platforms for which you have specifically compiled it (which is why some games and benchmarks, which use native code for performance reasons, don't run on x86 Android devices.) ART in no way changes that fact, although its increased performance over Dalvik may mean you can do some more stuff in Java that you would have had to do natively previously.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 22nd Aug 2014 at 12:06.
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 12:32   #6
BLC

This is an area where my knowledge obviously falls short . Everything I'd read seemed to pitch ART's cross-compatibility as New Thing - indeed, AnandTech didn't help matters here. I didn't know Dalvik did that, although it makes perfect sense.

Still, we are talking about vendor-specific optimisations which is always something that makes me wary. While Tegra-specific demos/games are very impressive indeed, they are limited to Tegra devices (if you'll forgive the tautology). In an ideal world everyone should write their code for the same graphics API, whether it's GLES or OpenGL, and hardware manufacturers should fully support those standards instead of implementing their own.

Android, however, isn't an ideal world; it's a Wild West of devices, OS versions and hardware platforms.  Still better than iPhone/iPad/iOS though .

Tags
android, arm, atom, david helgason, doug fisher, game engine, google, intel, middleware, soc, system on chip, unity, x86