1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Leap Motion launches Oculus Rift hand-tracking add-on

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 29 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well that is a stupid idea. Totally blocks all the IR receivers that the Rift uses for movement tracking.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Y'know, I think they might have thought of that during development and testing...
    The video embedded in the article even shows positional tracking and finger tracking working simultaneously.

(Also, the bits on the headset are just IR LEDs - transmitters, if you like - and not receivers. The receiver is a wall-mounted webcam - it's basically the exact same method used by the Wii 'Sensor Bar' (which is also just a set of dumb LEDs and has no sensor hardware in it whatsoever).

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

TBH I'm surprised they needed to attach their own IR LEDs, couldn't the Leap Motion Controller pick up IR LEDs already built into the Oculus ?

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I think this idea is amazing and fantastic. This makes VR so much more immerse and unleashes huge possibilities for games that Kinect couldn't do, while feeling more natural than wearing a pair of gloves that could accomplish the same thing.

I'm very excited to see what else they come up with.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Being able to pick your virtual nose with your virtual finger :D

7. schmidtbag

And being able to flick it into your enemy's eyes.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Things VR Needs:

Lustworthy games / experiences that are experienced 'seated' for nausea reduction.
    super high res, low latency displays
    über GPUs to drive them
    3D head tracking
    sub millimetre accurate hand & finger tracking that also works when you're holding a custom controller
    sub millimetre accurate tracking that identifies real world objects (EG a solid desk)

See those last two? Nobody has it yet. You need at least two leap motions working in tandem to get accurate finger tracking from all directions and when holding a controller I've yet to see it done. It'll be interesting to see how occulus deals with this. I bet it'll be similar to leap motion.

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

OR is the most important development since the mouse, easily more important than the graphics card. And next year we will be playing Star Citizen with ORs attached to our heads.

Enjoy the show.

Yours in OR Star Citizen Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

10. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Yup, I finally got to try it a few weeks ago via a friend of mine. His DK2 arrived. The Oculus was pretty much everything I expected. Flawless lag-free tracking and life-size 3d graphics so solid you want to reach out and touch them.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm sure it could --but that would require making a custom version of Leap Motion Controller. This is just a proof of concept, cobbling together two existing devices to see if it will work. Integration may happen somewhere down the line for the commercial product.

12. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i'm really temped to buy Oculus Rift :D

i just wonder how taxing is it on the GPU compared to playing on a 2560x1440 monitor ?

13. schmidtbag

Probably not very much - I'm guessing it depends on what's being rendered. The rift has a 1080p screen but the screen is split in half per eye, which may mean that everything is essentially rendered twice. What I personally think would be very interesting for multi-GPU systems is if each eye could be rendered on its own GPU. I think doing this could potentially greatly increase video memory efficiency (compared to regular crossfire/SLi where most of your VRAM is redundant and wasted).

14. Littletron

Littletron What's a Dremel?

I have both dk2 and Leap and it does work but its also very buggy not because of the rift but the restriction of detection distance for your hands. if they can sort out that on the leap then this will definatley work amazing well there is huge potential in this. There are limited demos currently and i am no programmer unfortunately.