1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Unnamed Project (Apple G5) - November 4th

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Asulc, 4 Nov 2015.

1. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Hello and welcome to my project log! :clap: This is my first case mod I will be attempting, so bear with me as I make some rookie mistakes. For this project I will be using an old Power Mac G5 case, from 2005 I think. Anyways, this is not going to be an extravagant mod, nor will it be using the best and newest parts. I am planning on making this case upgradeable and continue to use it for some time.

This also may be (read: guaranteed to be) a slow moving mod, so bear with me. Also, as I am new, I appreciate any comments on how I could do things better/differently. Please make suggestions as well!

Parts List
    TBD

Last edited: 4 Nov 2015
  2. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I have been wanting to start modifying a case for years. As a full time student at a state college, I didn't have the time or income to start a project like that. Now, five years late, as a graduate of a state college, I have the time to spend (that's about the only thing though... :wallbash: ) Enough talk, on with the modding! :dremel:

Please excuse the mess that will show up in a lot of the pictures. I am working in the family shop, and we are in the process of building some more shelves. As of now, I stand around and in old Saab engines while working.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The college I attended had sales, and for a while there were a bunch of Mac G5s for $100. I almost got one at that price, but I was lucky enough to find one for $70. It wasn't a great computer, but I only needed it for the case!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handy diagram on the side panel showing you how the locking mechanism works. Only apple would design the easiest, most user friendly side panel and then slap directions on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stepped back for a picture, showing the small area I have to work with.

[​IMG]

The other project going on in the shop is an old 1930s Model AA truck. My dad saved it from our ranch in Wyoming and is working on getting it running again.

[​IMG]

At this point I just started pulling every screw I could find and ripping things apart. Interestingly, two of the four sticks of ram were double sided 512mb and the other two were single sided. Seems like the school tried to keep the computers running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I called it quit for the first day.

3. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

The next day I had to run into town and buy some new tools. I got a set of torx wrenches, I needed a T8, and also a long 2.5mm allen wrench. I needed about 6 inches to reach the screws holding the processors in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At some point I blacked out..... When I came to all the stupid plastic pieces were gone, and this was sitting on the bench. :dremel::dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By far the most difficult case I have dealt with, and I had to turn the internet in order to figure out how to take out the upper shelf panel. This website was very helpful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I was left with the shell of the case. The inner part can be taken apart into two separate pieces, that may happen soon. For now I need to figure out how to remove the standoffs, and how to install standoffs of my own. I also need to tape off and cut out the backplate for the motherboard and expansion slots.

4. thegyufi

thegyufi What's a Dremel?

so happy to see another G5 modding project !!

keep updating !!

5. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I cant wait to see where this goes. Apple G5 and Mac Pro mods are really hard but totaly worth the end product.

6. mikediflip

mikediflip What's a Dremel?

will be following close thanks!

7. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

G5 Rulez !!

That AA Truck is amazing :thumb:

8. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support. I apologize for not having a true update, I have been busy with my new job/internship.

You will all have to believe me when I say this. I found a local shop that has aluminum scraps. There I found what will be the motherboard tray, case back panel, and tray rails. The motherboard tray is nearing completion, the rails were machined by an old man in his garage shop :eyebrow: Awesome work by this guy though.

There won't be pictures coming for a few weeks, and I won't be able to do any more work for a while. I am about to leave to go elk hunting, so for now....

Keep modding :dremel:

Chill out :brrr:

and stay awesome Bit-Tech!!! :rock::rock::rock: