1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Radeon RX 480 Strix OC 8GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 18 Nov 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I didn't see it mentioned so I assume there wasn't an issue.

What about the 0db fan feature?

I have the ROG Strix 1070 Gaming OC (STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING) and when it is inside a case the fans will pulse constantly because the cutoff temp is set too low. It idles at 56c (with fans forced off) but the 0db cutoff is 54c. The old cutoff for Nvidia Strix cards was 60c. It does not make noise when doing this but you can see it in monitoring software.

Did you guys have any issue with that?

3. rollo

rollo Modder

That's a crazy idle temp. My Palit 1080 card idles in the 30c area with 0db fan. Under full load the card hits your idle temps.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The Palit 1070 in the graph only idles 6C lower and the power consumption at idle on the 480 is about the same as pretty much every card on test.

I would guess the idle temps are more to do with exactly what constitutes an idle/0db fan profile in each case, plus to an extent the heatsink.

All the cards are dissipating about the same amount of heat and there is a surprisingly large variation in temperatures across the board.

I could be wrong, but maybe knowing the ambient temperature the delta T was measured from in each case would be useful for comparing beyond the cards tested here?

5. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

My 390x idles at 67c... and i thought it was normal?

6. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Never really gave it too much thought as my Strix GTX 970 was the same way. Idle temp around 55c.

[​IMG]

It has been sitting idle for a while in that image. Note how the fans pulse all the time. I can lower the temp by adding a fan to the side panel but there is no dust filter there.

I am using a Define R5 with 2x front 140mm and 1x rear 140mm (all GP-14 fans - the type that is included with the case) using the built in fan controller with it set to low with the door closed.

I don't have a thermometer handy. It is comfortably warm. So likely above room temp. My best guess is around 25c ambient.

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

That's way too high.

My Asus Strix 970's are always idling at 30-32c:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At full, sustained load in gaming, with fans at 55%, they never go above 70c.

Some of you must be running your cards in shoe boxes.:D

8. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

It never went over 70c while under load either though. Same with my 1070. Stays around 62c - 65c load.

ed: I think I figured it out. The card won't downclock when idle. Appears to be an issue with 144hz multi-monitor setups.

ed 2: confirmed. Setting the refresh rate lower makes it downclock normally.

Anybody got of a fix for this?

ed 3: looks like if I set it to 120Hz it downclocks normally, with preferred refresh rate set to "highest available" when I start a 3d application (at least a DX app) it goes up to 144hz and back to 120hz on the desktop.

Weird stuff, thanks for the assistance. According to Nvidia this has been fixed for quite some time but I guess not.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2016
Tags: Add Tags