1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 11 Apr 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's a shame AMD hasn't managed to get the updated microcode into the hands of MoBo manufactures in time for the R5 launch, i was looking forward to seeing how the supposed 6ns improvement in RAM latencies effected benchmarks.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

aha theres no i5`s in the single thread score

4. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

No i5 -7600k comparisons, which is the cpu most equal price wise, why? because mostly the i5 7600k hammers the 1600x in games, i'm getting a bit fed up of all the bias skewed reviews tbh.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'll probably regret this but what leads you to believe the i5 -7600k hammers the 1600x in games, wardogz?

Most reviews I've read so far shows the R5 within 1-5fps of the i5 -7600k in most games. :eyebrow:

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately, we don't have a 7600K in house although we managed to get one on loan a while back which is why it's present in some of the benchmarks.

7. Combatus

It's coming!

TBH we've already covered the core vs core count in our previous coverage with the 8-core Ryzen 7's vs the Core i7-6900K, but as I mentioned above, we don't have an in-house i5 at the moment - Intel is extremely tight with their CPU loans and this was the same before Ryzen launched too.

Our video encoding and photo editing tests are both using real-world programs as is our Terragen rendering benchmark.

8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Budget CPU...£249?
    I just bought a hyperthreaded Pentium for £55..that is what I class as budget.
    What planet are you on?

9. Combatus

We'll see what we can do in future tests regarding Photoshop.

I think Office PCs use a mix of hardware tbh. I've never seen a Core i5 or a Core i3 in any office I've worked at - it's usually Pentiums, and for some reason many of these were paired with discrete GPUs too, albeit very lowly ones. Workstations have a good argument for discrete GPUs too as so many applications offer GPU acceleration these days.

I'd imagine it's the Ryzen 3 series where the lack of IGP could hurt AMD, but then that's why they'll be bringing APUs to AM4 soon - most AM4 boards have onboard display ports for this reason. I think the Ryzen series is mainly focussing at users that don't want IGP, and the only reason it's lacking from AMD's line up at the moment is that they haven't dumped everything on us at once. The APUs could be particularly interesting too, seeing as the only thing inherently wrong with the likes of the A10-7850K was poor performance on the CPU side of things.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I don't.

11. Combatus

I was quite envious of your i7-5775C when I saw you had one a while back! Also impressed by Broadwell's IGP performance - a shame they didn't continue along those lines as it had pretty good 1080p performance in many games with CPU grunt to match. If AMD can pair an 8 thread quad core with something that offers solid 1080p performance in current games they could be on to a winner.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I do.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Loads of people who I used to do design/emulation with used PSP over Photoshop. I mean at the end of the day the price of Photoshop is laughable if you are anything less than a business or a professional making his business out of it.

I was taught Photoshop so that's what I used to use (licensed copy of PS 7). Been a while since I have used it now though.

14. Gareth Halfacree

I have.

15. Vault-Tec

Yeah me too, plenty of times. Not quite a witty as two words but hey, I'm trying :D

16. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Other reviews show the R5 1600 (non-X) as a 65W part. On the first page you list it as a 95W part. Who is correct?

17. Vault-Tec

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I haven't studied the results in great detail but at first glance they look pretty good:

- more-or-less the same gaming performance as Ryzen 7.
    - very good multi-threaded performance.

I don't think the Ryzen CPUs (or any future AMD CPU for that matter) will compete directly with any of Intel's offerings in the same way as, say the Tbirds of old did (which trounced the competition across the board). Sadly those days are long gone, but Ryzen does slot into the running order by offering a different balance of single thread performance, multi-thread performance and cost.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd love one simply because I like the idea of having SO MANY cores (even if performance was a little slower in some instances)

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Unfortunately it is inevitable that it will be slower in some cases, but look at it this way, the £1650 6950x has the exact same problem of losing to the £230 7600k in a number of situations.

Tags: Add Tags