1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DLL patch unlocks Windows 7, 8.1 updates on Ryzen, Kaby Lake

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Yep, this sounds perfectly safe. I'm happy to endorse Zeffy.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yet you'll happily install binary-blob updates from Microsoft itself with no idea what's in 'em? At least you can view Zeffy's patches.

4. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Binary Binary Large Object? ;p

EDIT..... Ahhhhhhh

I'll shut up now

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There was me thinking it was Gareth's name for someone whose eaten far to many twix and hula hoops. :D

EDIT: Blocking updates on newer hardware does make me wonder if one day the reverse may happen, blocking updates on older hardware because that old CPU doesn't support TPM, SGX, or some other security feature, it's all for your own good.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2017
  6. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

" suggesting quite strongly that Microsoft's decision to withhold said patches has less of a grounding in technical compatibility and more in encouraging Windows 10 adoption."

No, it suggest Microsoft doesn't want to spend time and money on QA for an out of date OS on newer hardware which will function better on Windows 10.

In a few months when an update causes a BSOD on KabyLake systems don't start crying about it.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The CPU is still fully supported. You can run XP on Skylark without any issues.... it's just crap.

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

QA and it running are 2 different things. I honestly think it's a bit of both. They want people on windows 10 to make more more but also don't want to spend the resources on making sure everything works for them on windows versions before 10.

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Eh. The only thing stopping it from working is Microsoft. Plenty of people still run X58 on Windows 10, and that's not officially supported. Try finding drivers for X58 for Windows 10. :D

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You may have to explain that one too me, how exactly is Windows 7 & 8.1 out of date, one doesn't reach the end of extended support for 3 years and the other is still in mainstream support for another 8 months, it was only released 2 years before Windows 10.

In a few months if, and it would be a big if, a security update caused a BSOD on a Kabylake or Ryzen system then the only people who would be crying would be Windows 8.1 users as they signed a contract with Microsoft when they bought it that said Microsoft would support new features until January 9, 2018.

For a company that says trust is of utmost importance to them their not doing a very good job of earning that trust by reneging on contracts with their customers.

Microsoft sacked most of their QA staff a few years ago in favor of insiders and home users.

Also if Microsoft want people to use their newest OS maybe they should make an OS people want to use instead of forcing people into using it.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2017
  11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm not really qualified enough to talk about it. I would guess its got to do with a bunch of things but yes Microsoft are most likely the main factor in it. I can semi understand why Micro$oft are doing it but I don't agree with it.

I agree on the QA point. They should provide full support but I can see why they wouldn't want to as win 10 seems to be a goldmine for them.

12. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Ah yes, Microsoft's motto....And Apple's.

13. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

See, that could make a degree of sense. "We make heavy use of these new features your processor/chipset/etc does not support. Please upgrade your hardware."
    It is a realm only the movie companies have really sought to enter, though.

THIS, on the other hand...
    "Your system is made entirely of hardware that is fully backwards-compatible with hardware these patches will install on, but since we said only Windows 10 gets the new parts, NO PATCH FOR YOU! Just be glad we didn't throw a killswitch and completely disable your OS... yet."