1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Replacement Cherry MX Switchs (red).

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 20 Apr 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am going to attempt to change some switches on a Corsair K70 RGB keyboard because of a known and I assume inherent fault with these boards that mean that some keys double or even triple letter and wondered where I can source these? Does the fact that the switches contain an LED make a difference or do the LED's just snap into any switch?

Any advise on the job would also be helpful though thee are videos on Youtube which I will be consulting.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

The LED is usually inserted into the switch and then soldered to the pcb so you will have to unsolder the led and the switch to remove the switch.

How many switches do you think you will need?

5 genuine switches, from china though

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

yea it should just be a case to remove the solder from the switch contacts the the LED and you should be able to lift both out at once.

4. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

The LEDs will be soldered on at two points and the switches will be soldered on at two separate points - so 4 solders / desolders per switch. You will need to heat up the solder using a soldering iron and then either use a solder sucker or wick to remove the old solder, remove the LED and switch, replace the switch, replace the LED and then resolder. Our very own davido labido's guide is very good

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/project-logs/2017/01/19/corsair-k65-rgb-switches-mod/1

Edit: Ninja'd

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Interesting guide, unfortunately I think I do have the cheap and cheerful type of soldering iron mentioned in your guide and I am reluctant to spend money on something I will never use again. So if my one fails then I will call it a day on this project which i think was way past my pay grade anyway.

7. davido_labido

The cheap and cheerful ones *sometimes* work. It depends on how high the temperature goes on it really. Also, it depends on which solder the manufacturer uses.

For instance, ASUS use a solder that is ridiculous. I blew up my old soldering iron trying to desolder an ASUS X99 Deluxe. It just wouldn't melt the solder and iirc that iron went to 700 degrees!!

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

:D If memory serves the last time I did a bit of soldering when I was into a bit of modding I am sure I had issues with melting pretty basic solder so I don't hold out much hope.:D

But we shall see.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Without trying to derail the thread, in my googling for chattering (multi key press registering) to do with my refurbished K70 it seemed quite common. Though I appreciate googling for anything makes it seem common tbh. In my own thread about the issue, bit-techers suggested alcohol (not the beer kind :p ) amongst other things.

I've also come across a program called Keyboard Chattering Fix, which helps filter multi keypress although I've not tested it in games to see how if affects them. And finally, I found an article which shows you how to edit the registry setting for Windows' Bounce Keys setting to do a similar thing.

Also, my replacement refurbished keyboard seems to be exhibiting double typing as well, though in a more erratic and intermittent manner - lots of keys randomly and infrequently. I suspect this may be less of a switch issues and more of a controller issue.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Tried the Chattering Fix program no change.
    If it is a 'controller issue' not that I know what that is, can anything be done or is it a case of flinging the thing in the bucket?

11. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

you're supposed to dip your wick, then it works better :D even if the wick says it's got flux in it somewhere, if you dip it in rosin flux then it will work at least 100 times better.

Problem with motherboards is they have so many layers - you can bank on one being a ground poor, just means it sucks all the heat out of the area you are trying to desolder. More often than not it's not all out high temps you need, but the ability to transfer the load from the iron, to what you are trying to desolder, and keeping it there. For motherboards they 100% will use lead free solder which makes it tough again. However, if you had a heated surface, like an IR pre heater or board heater, then I reckon you would have been able to do it easy

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Lost me here.

13. GeorgeK

He's referring to Dave giving up on solder wick in his article and using a pump instead

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

:eek:

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

That's odd. For me it stops everything if I bump the threshold up high enough :confused:

Sorry mate, not a clue! I assume it's completely out of warranty based on the bucket remark? I've asked Corsair support for info instead of just RMA'ing mine again, and they basically said, and I quote

I've also asked them if they have any specific program they use to test for chatter - I'll see if they respond! My first foray into mech keyboards is going well :hehe:

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Good luck with Corsair as even though this is a known issue they were not the slightest bit interested as it is outside of the warranty period. That's another company on my never touch again list.

17. davido_labido

Yeah, I tried with flux too but never got the results I wanted. What really irks me is that there was an old guy where I used to work who used to be able clean a full PCB in a few seconds with solder wick. I would spend about 30 - 40 mins on the same thing. I know it is something I do wrong, or maybe I just give up with it too soon as I know I can use a pump far easier.

As for the board, that makes a lot of sense actually, never thought about that at all!

18. GeorgeK

The problem is, as with many PC items, Corsair won't actually manufacturer their mechanical keyboards but will instead have an OEM to do it for them and then they will just honour their warranties for as long as they have to. If they're not using a decent OEM or an unknown OEM then chances are the boards will fail before too long. On the other hand some boards are known to be built like tanks (Filco, CM Storm Quickfire Rapid, Das Keyboards, WASD Keyboards) and unsurprisingly they are all made by the same OEM (in this case Costar) - even past the warranty periods these boards tend to last well.

19. loftie

loftie Multimodder

From what i've read, it's the nature of mechanical switches in general. My refurb still has until november warranty wise, and corsair have stated if scan don't replace it they will. Unfortunately most/all companies don't care the moment an item is out of warranty.

Did you try using any alcohol or anything on the switches? It might just be crap in the switches themselves. This reddit page may be useful if you haven't already found it.

20. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Glenn if you want to ship it to me with a list of switches that are chattering I can change them for you, I've got hundreds of reds at home.

just when you've paid postage both ways it's starting to sound expensive, for an old keyboard.