1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CPUID explains CPU-Z v1.79 benchmarking changes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 May 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'd be surprised if AMD didn't choose some of these optimisations with benchmarks in mind...

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I suppose this explains the single core IPC anomalies I noticed for Ryzen's in this benchmark.

Ryzen's running at 3.9 & 4.0Ghz were scoring roughly the same (2090-2110) as my 4690K@4.6Ghz which was strange as Ryzen's IPC was supposed to be roughly the same as Haswell/Devils Canyon.

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Same here. I remember posting this very soon after the first Ryzen was released.

I remember someone touted poor optimisation as the reason. They were right, but not in the way they thought. :)

It's a funny old game. :lol:

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Essentially the problem is still poor optimization.
    Cpu-z simply changed the benchmark to be as poorly optimized for Ryzen as real software happens to be because any software optimized for AMD CPUs is unrepresentative of reality due to how long AMD had been gone from the market.

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes, quite. Hence why I said: "They were right, but not in the way they thought".

The suggestion was that games were poorly optimised to Ryzen's disadvantage, not that the benchmark was poorly optimised in Ryzen's favour.