1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Best drawing/design/CAD software to use for custom case design

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ilmater, 13 May 2004.

1. Ilmater

Ilmater What's a Dremel?

I've got a few ideas for a case I'd like to build, but I really wouldn't feel comfortable building anything (esp. cutting up expensive materials when it's my first case mod) without having a good model first.

I'm wondering if there's a program out there that would allow me to build templates for things so that I get an idea of where I want to put things like fans, hard drives, etc. Ideally, I'd like to be able to put in rectangular measurements and then get a model for things. For example, I want to type in 120mm x 120mm x 25mm and get a rectangle that would represent the space a 120mm fan would take up. That way I can place components where I want them and build the case around that.

Maybe this is obvious and you can do this with any modeling software, but I've never worked with any so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

Hi. I know alot of ppl in these forums use sketchup to fraw models on. I personally dont like it. I just cant get used to using it!

3. Ilmater

Ilmater What's a Dremel?

What do you use?

4. cybert

cybert What's a Dremel?

An old 3D Studio VIZ R3... :thumb: Works really well, and can export 2D to the laser cutter ;-)

You can probably get it cheap somewhere! :naughty:

5. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

I dont, i would to use a decent CAD program, but even if i could get 1, i dont have the time to learn how to use 1 properly at them moment, so i just do my designs in my head. Im lucky i suppose, im a very metanlly visual person. Im also a good problem solver, hence the reason im currently at uni, learning how to b an engineer!

6. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

Maybe you'd want some grid paper and a mechanica pencil, then.

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

playing with Solid edge at the mo its a realy barstuward to work with, i find SketchUP to easy to use and it doesn't export dxf files either which is a bugger.

morgan.

8. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I use 3D studio max/Maya/Terragen/Rhino 3D/autoCAD/and Solid Works (yes I know I need a life) CAD and 3dModeling is a true passion of mine.

(thank god for cheap Indain software)

9. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

I use AutoCAD 2004.

Thankfully, our computer lab at school has a few computers with the program on it.

Works great for what you said, putting in a 120 x 120 x 25 mm block.

I use 2002, and have heard of a 2004 version, but from what I fiddled with it 2002 is better.

10. Rombus

Rombus What's a Dremel?

I learned Autocad2004 this semester, and i like it alot
    Here is a basic example of what i created once with it:
    [​IMG]

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

12. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

I use Solid Edge mostly.

13. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

yumm that would be this i belive.

[​IMG]

and Maya has a free version for Students/Hobbists if you wana check that out. i just downloaded it and all i can say is. "I'm Lost".

14. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'd suggest thier video toutorial, Maya is very similar to 3d Studio max and Rhino3d, it's sort of a hybrid of them both...hard to explain really. If I ever get around to It i'll make a toutorial.

15. Jewno

Jewno industrial designer

I've learned AutoCAD 2004 for my major and it is a decent program to start off with.

16. Go4t

Go4t i

i cant stand autocad but then again my school only has 2000 and i learned rhino 3d before that

17. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

3Dstudio 6 for me...

Melting but I'm getting the hang of it, just don't ask me for an actual modelled fan...

18. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Solid Edge all the way :thumb: Much better than AutoCAD IMO, once you've got used to the interface, although all we have in the labs is AutoCAD2002.

19. Rombus

Rombus What's a Dremel?

Thanks Woodshop! guess Deviant art dosnet like me using it like that, it previewed and viewed fine for me though :duh:

Im looking at learning 3d studio max over the summer just for fun. I want to do a BAWLS bottle in it for practice and get it looking as good as possible. How does Rhino3D and 3ds max compare to Autocad if I know autocad pretty well already?

I also have to redo my case model and add more details, like what’s supporting the drives and maybe some more construction details
    :dremel: