1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F*** the TCPA

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Piratetaco, 16 Jun 2004.

1. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

just got bored and started reading up on the TCPA.now i'm asking what you the good people of Bit-tech think about the TCPA.me? i think it should never happen(but probably will) because of one reason.

I buy MY hardware to do what I want.i don't want some ****e in remond or wherever deciding what i can and can't do with me PC.I paid for it so I will use it how i see fit.if i want to break the law i'll face the consequences, but you're not taking my freedom.
    here are some links
    hmmm??
    Bit's own TCPA pages
    no TCPA.org <best website about the TCPA

EDIT:i added a couple of google'd links

bit old but still on topic
    Evil
    home of the Evil

Last edited: 17 Jun 2004
  2. fg0d

fg0d Banned

When you use money to excahnge for a product, its automatically yours to do WHATEVER the hell you may want to. Your bought it with the money you earned. This whole "TCPA is a angel" thing isnt working. Ehh. Screw em...

dont take it too far :) no need to call em evil :)

3. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

i dunno.their plan is to take power away from me(Krytens Admin) and give it to whoever makes the hardware/software i use.

lets put it this way i bought a 9800pro and i want to play UT2k4 but the card won't play why? because its got Nvidia"way its meant to played" logo's all over the game.

4. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

There was a thread in news ages ago about how some companies are already making computers with "trusted" BIOSes. It's not good, but I doubt it will ever have blanket implementation. The thing that worries my is that most PC are OEM, and that's where the TCPA is being implemented - such that it will become mainstream and it will become difficult and expensive to buy a computer that is not "trusted".

Though I can't really see a way of MS and such forcing you to have trusted hardware to work with their software - that's just shooting themselves in the foot. As long as there is a market for non-trusted hardware there will be products, but with economies of scale they might become very expensive and hard to get.

So yeah, **** the TCPA.

[edit] The other big area where the TCPA is going to get into is schools. All the schools I have been to have sub-par IT staff and use OEM machines and servers. If people are only exposed to and taught how to use trusted products, they will know nothing else, and that's what they'll buy. Can you believe my school actually has some sort of contact with MS that they won't buy any other OS or office software? (and thus won't teach or expose to students any other software) :grr:

Last edited: 17 Jun 2004
  5. fg0d

fg0d Banned

You cant really stop a power hungry company like this unless you

1) stop buying computer products for a period
    2) get past these hardware adjustments
    3) tell em to f--k off :)

Make em obselete, to the point they have no need to do anything anymore.. those old guys should get a life and let people buy there hardware.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well supposedly you WILL be able to turn off the Fritz chip on the processor (presumably via the BIOS or a jumper). But in doing so, you can't run any software that requires it to be on. Presumably Longhorn, every other MS product, any new expensive software, etc. So it's basically Linux with the chip off or bust. Assuming you don't mind microsoft watching your every move and deleting the ones they don't like, that is.
    At least I heard that at one point... it may have legally changed. I'm hoping Abit will pull through for me :) I could care less about the legality of what I do on my computer, I still don't want people tracking it.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The TCPA sucks beyond belief: it's just corporate board-room messery gone insane and given power. It's wrong and i dread the day it comes to pass.

8. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

We (Programmers who want an alternative OS) should all get together online and code a new OS. Either that or we could just stick with Win XP. This s*** scares me big! :worried:

9. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Yeah!!

We could call it "Linux", this is gonna be big...

10. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

Use something that isnt microsoft, thats to orthodox for me :D