1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. macroman

macroman The One

Last edited by a moderator: 23 May 2005
  2. Slink

Slink B7

Thanks bud, This helps me a lot!

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, that is a quality project. I always felt the thread should have been a sticky, so the article really does it justice. Essential modding knowledge! :thumb:

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Excellent article, been watching the original thread as I will be trying out this mod soon.
    Have the LCD sitting there, just need to wire it up and get it working.

5. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

thanks a lot!
    This i also discussed elsewhere in bit-tech forums..
    like here for example! ;)

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Now all I need to do is a) find a screen and b) find a place to mod it into!

I'm thinking top-mounted as my computer is below me next to the desk... what's the viewing angle like on those?

And what resolution does it run at? Does it act completely normally like a second monitor (ie could you potentially run a game on it if it was your only monitor? and can you use display rotation on it provided its supported by your video card?)

/edit... guess it's 640*480, didn't look at the images carefully enough lol

Great guide... quick and simple, just how I like them :)

7. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

you dont have to mod it into the case either, its VGA hookup so you could always make your own little plexi stand for it or something even.

8. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Someone could take this idea and use this to have a 2" color LCD. I bought one to look at. Its pretty good. Color/brightness, and contrast adjustments, works off the same connector (you can seperate the composite video and audio to get the signal you want) and also has speakers.

9. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Very nice and all... I just have one comment.

Why install a screen behind a door? :hehe: :hehe:

10. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

the door is on only when i go to LAN partys, and mostly only during transportation to protect the screen
    otherwise the door is off and in my closet, it's too ugly, i saw a PC6070 mod here somewhere where the guy mirror finished it...i may do that but still i dont think it will be on unless i transport

11. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

its all about having a winamp screen.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Anyone know where to find one at a sane price? I just checked my local best buy and all they have is one ps1/screen combo pack, at about $130! I told the guy what I wanted to do with it and he kinda laughed but no good deal for it. There's no way I'm going to spend $100+ just on the screen (and then some more for the cabling and whatnot)

13. henson0115

henson0115 Banned

im sure i saw an insane prize some were at a currys i think

14. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

I have one is project divergence... awsome mod and good article... :D

Lots of information is also avalable on the internet for things like this...

15. starfox

starfox What's a Dremel?

I would like to put forward a few complaints about this article:

I'm the person who actually did this mod, and my site is reference in the article (http://nakoruru.rudora.net/carcomp/serio_lcd.htm, http://starfox.ucc.asn.au/carcomp/serio_lcd.htm). My nickname is starfox, not serio.

I'd like to say that it's journalistically unethical to take images from another website, and brand it with your own logo without asking for permission. The first image is the picture of the soldered connectors onto the connector PCB, the second is the wiring diagram underneath it, which is copied off a PDF on my website without permission. As there is a bittech logo on both, this implies that the images are from bittech, which is not the case.

The author of the article has also failed to mention the following about the mod:

The mod only works on Sony brand PSOne displays. To my knowledge it only works on Sony brand PSOne displays and Thrustmaster PSOne displays (thanks to mpro). Other PSOne displays do not have VGA input, most of them only pass the composite video signal up. You will not be able to get the mod working on these displays.

DCC is a 5V signal level supply. Applying 5V to pin 10 on the Sony PSOne display switches it on. You can take the 5V from anywhere as long as it's 5V with reference to the display's ground. You can use a current limiting resistor and 5V zener diode to wire an "always on" display from the 7.5V supply if your VGA cable doesn't have a DCC pin.

To my knowledge, no nVidia cards support composite sync out. Only a handful of Matrox and ATi cards do. If you don't own one of these cards, you will need to build a hsync + vsync -> csync combiner. Details for this are on my page (PCB thanks to MatrixPC), but it requires some electronics knowledge and you will need to etch your own PCB for this.

Some video cards will not let you set the horizontal sync low enough to get anything useful on the display.

Your video card may not be able to detect that the psone display is plugged in if it relies on DCC information to detect a display.

For the casual modder who doesn't like hardware hacking and making your own PCB, there's an easier way to pull this off. Just use your video card's TV out as a composite video source and connect that to the PSOne display through the "Sony" 3.5mm 4 pin AV jack. The image quality won't be as good, but you won't have to mess with powerstrip. You should be able to source a 4 pin 3.5mm jack from a good electronics store, and the connections are: Pin 1 (tip) - left audio, Pin 2 - Composite video, Pin 3 - Ground, Pin 4 (base) - right audio. Just solder a standard RCA connector to pins 2 and 3. Pin 2 should go to the center connector of the RCA, and Pin 3 should go to the shield. Soldering two connections is a lot easier than soldering to 6 close together points right? :)

Last edited: 8 Jul 2004
  16. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

Although any guest-written content in bit-tech is published in good faith under assurances that the items included therein are free from any copyright, mistakes do happen. Thanks for highlighting this; someone from our staff will be in contact with you imminently.

17. AnarKy

AnarKy What's a Dremel?

Well done m8. Im gonna have to try this!

18. macroman

macroman The One

starfox - I have mailed you.

19. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Ya what starfox said is true and I have read about the problems on other sites when working to get mine up. Thank You all for the information on this mod and I hope that others will be able to do this mod in te future.

BTW I am running the screen of composite now and it is working good. This is due to the fact that the computer is running with dual 19 inch viewsonic monitors now and no more vga for the card... (project divergence). When it ends up as the stand alone file server/ lan server it was go back to vga... :D

20. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

i emailed you and let you know that i would be using the pictures on my site and i got no reply!
    at least i didnt link them :s

Tags: Add Tags