1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox^PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by toidiochysp, 28 Jul 2004.

1. toidiochysp

toidiochysp What's a Dremel?

As you might be able to judge by the title this project is going to involve putting a PC into an Xbox Case, and several other modification. This case is being created for a case mod competition on www.twistedforums.com the forums for www.twistedmods.com

As you might be able to judge by the title this project is going to involve putting a PC into an Xbox Case, and several other modification.

[​IMG]
    This is an external shot of the case. The case was purchased on ebay several months ago and has been sitting in my closet colecting dust ever since. I have been planning this mod for a while and i finally have the opertunity now that i have found all the parts needed, including a small enough motherboard, low profile cooling solution, a PCI "L" bracket, and a laptop CD-ROM to IDE converter. the specs of this comp are going to be Amd Athlon 1600+ 128MB of RAM, 30GB HDD, 24X Laptop CD-ROM, and an ATI All in wonder 128 Pro PCI video card.

[​IMG]
    Here is a simple shot of the front of the case, there is no CD-ROM but the slot should easily be filled with my dead laptops CD-ROM. you can also see the four controller holes, where i plan to put 4 USB ports, or other various ports that i will need, possible my video in ports. only time will tell.

[​IMG]
    Here is the inside of the case after i removed and exhuast fan and and the metal coverings. the case looks like it will be easy enough to mount a mother board in, i will see next week when i have the motherboard. the inside of the case is only about 80mm high so i have to locate parts that will fit into it.

One of the first things i thought of was to make the jewel on the top of the case clear so i can light it up with a color i will later choose. so i removed the jewel by heating up the back of the jewel, that part that is attached to the case, so after about 2-5 minutes with a hair dryer and a steak knife i was able to get it all of in one piece, with only minor scratches to the case, which will probally be hidden when i paint the case.

here a pic of the top of the case with the jewel gone
    [​IMG]

and here is the jewel its self
    [​IMG]

i will later on sand down the back of the jewel to make it clear, and i will etche PC into the jewel its self and it will have a back light of of color i will soon choose.

But before i can sand down the back i need to remove the black adheisive that is on the back of jewel. So i placed the jewel in my freezer for about 30 minutes i believe. Then using my trusty steak knife from the kitchen i proceded to remove the back adheisive fairly easily.
    Here is a before pic
    [​IMG]

and here is the pic after i removed the black adheisive
    [​IMG]

my next step was to see what kinds of mods i can do to the front of the case its self. so i proceeded to remove the front of the case. which was actually quite easy, it just required lifting some tabs and unhooking someother ones.

here is a pic of the case with the front taken off
    [​IMG]

after i took off the front i realized that i could mod the actual face plate of the xbox case itself including the power LED and activity LED, i will also be able to use the power and eject buttons, not necisarrily for there original functions but they are still work able.
    Here is a pic of the buttons and LED when removed from the front of the case
    [​IMG]

when i turned it over it was covered with a back covering hiding the traces on the actual PCB. so i took it off
    [​IMG]

and here is the PCB fully exposed. and by the looks of it, it will be quite easy to modify to do what i want it to.
    [​IMG]

and the latest thing i did was start to moddifty my my AV inputs for my All in Wonder Card.
    [​IMG]
    Here u can see it here with a large and quite ugly covering. since it was soft i turned to my steak knife( i can find my utility knife) and started cutting away, when i was donw i had something that looked like this
    [​IMG]

This will be easier to put into the case since it is smaller, of course i will probally make custom connecters that will go to the outside of the case, so i can plug my VCR and Atari into it.

This is all i have done for now and more updates will come soon. and i look forward to finnishing this soon, because it has been an idea of mine for a while now.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2004
  2. PeteTheMagicBum

PeteTheMagicBum What's a Dremel?

Its been done before, here. I'd quite like to see it done with a different twist, jazz it up with as much tatt as you can get your hands on! :thumb:

3. toidiochysp

i know its been done with mini ITX but i'm going to be using a normal CPU in mine, no Via Epia stuff

4. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

good. then this will be a decent gaming PC at least

those epia processors are good for running MS Word and junk like that. :D

you should look in to a flex atx board maybe that would be small enough? (not sure how big the workspace is)

5. toidiochysp

its not designed to be a gaming PC, its more of my Media PC, it barely plays CS :( so i use it for watching TV with my TV tuner card, and to watch movies that are stored on my comp. its also used for chatting on IRC when my main comp is in use

6. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

oh that will be schweet at the parties. sorry i didn't see/read that it was probably posted earlier. wherever i see a mod like that i always think it will be a cool looking case. i never imagined it would actually blend in to a entertainment center or anything. good job and good luck im intrested in this project. :thumb:

7. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

Getting the black stuff off the back works easily if you don't want to scratch the jewel just by rubbing your finger firmly against it. It's kind of sticky and stretchy so it'll catch to your finger and you can 'scub' it off. Kind of difficult to explain beyond that, but you wouldn't have had to use a knife. :)

8. -N4cR-Stigma2K

-N4cR-Stigma2K Banned

Weird, I have also thougt about making a PC out of an Xbox (but I didn't wanna trash mine)

9. invader crack

invader crack What's a Dremel?

nice to start to a happy lil mod cant wait to see more!!! i hope u spice up this one a lil more.. all the xbox pc mods i have seen are rather plain lets see ya throw on one of them 6 inch lcds on that bad boy, mybe get it to slide out of the front panel and flip up be pimp to the mizzzzzaxx haha :thumb:

although i dont really think it would fitin there it be rad :D

10. toidiochysp

Updat time!!!!
    [​IMG]
    so i took the xbox jewel and desided to mod it so i can back light it.

[​IMG]
    so i took my dremel to it using of of the grinder bits, and it worked great!

[​IMG]
    more progress on getting rid of the backing

[​IMG]
    O look it changed my grinder/sander bit green. but it worked great.

[​IMG]
    After i used my dremel to clear away most of it i pulled out a piece of 150 Gritt(i think) sandpaper and started to sand. o look green sand paper

[​IMG]
    getting closer to finnishing and i had a green and and lots of green powder on the jewel its self.

[​IMG]
    after a little bit more sanding, i washed it off and i had this, its not perfectly clear but i liked the effect the sand paper left on it.

[​IMG]
    so then i used my handy litte dremel to make a hole in the case where the jewel originally was. the whole isn't a perfect circle but i'm not perfect so it doesn't bother me and i can still clean it up if needed.

[​IMG]
    A quick little test fit of the jewel

[​IMG]
    and a pic of it being backlite by a CCFL from a fan i had sitting around

[​IMG]

and a look at the very bright CCFL that will be used the backlight the jewel, its just tapped on for now, but it will be attached securely at a further point in time

and thats all for now, more updates will come at a latter time

Last edited: 8 Sep 2004
  11. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I would definately try to clean up that cut. It looks very obvious when its lighted, like so:

12. z\\\\ffs

z\\\\ffs What's a Dremel?

veryn nice idea to light up the xbox logo :)

13. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with TekMonkey about cleaning up the hole, it shouldn´t take much time and it would make the case look much better. It´s all in the details! :D

Anyways, great project!

14. toidiochysp

i feel like no one reads the captions, i believe i said i would work on it unless i liked the look

15. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

looks cool! but since it's a computer, you could make your own bling in the top :p Like engraved plexi that sais: "PC" or "Comp" or "XPC" :idea:

16. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

I did read them. You said you would work on it until you though it looked good, but I think you should still work on it. :D

17. chrono

chrono What's a Dremel?

Looking very nice!

*subscribed*

18. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Looking sweet! I never knew those jewels were THAT big, I thought they'd be about 4cm... :eyebrow:

19. KG Silent

KG Silent What's a Dremel?

looks sweet toidi!

its me silentbob from tf <3

20. Zion

Zion What's a Dremel?

looking good keep this up and that will be one kick ass mod :rock: