1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Warning for those with CCFLs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ZapWizard, 18 Aug 2004.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

2. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop:
    I think i'll do the same. Better safe than sorry. :thumb:

3. Miirk

Miirk What's a Dremel?

It´s quite surprising that this doesn´t happen more often..

4. tomd

tomd What's a Dremel?

One of my inverters exploded pretty much in my face when i was testing them... The geniuses who put them together had the polarity backwards on one of the power plugs.... Probably a good thing i'm not a big fan of case lighting period...

5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Hmm I remember when I was making my nude server case, and the invert box was open, and he said you better put that back together coz it will shock you if u touch it. I then said no it wont watch.

picked it up and it zapped my hand leaving some small burn holes lol.
    It didnt hurt just shocked me. I couldnt let go either lol

6. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

And more than likely the inverter will just die... :duh:

I will stick to LEDs also...

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

arnt cold cathodes suppose to last around 2 years?

8. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure how to react to this. On one hand, I feel sorry for the guys whos' cold cathode inverters basically destroyed thier cases and it does make me somewhat apprehensive. On the other hand, I don't think I'll be taking the ccfls out of my case just yet...

Every so often, the market gets flooded with bad components (like capacitors). This happens in the motherboard industry. Sometimes, they catch the problem before any product is released to consumers. Other times, it's not noticed until a bunch of consumers complain about caps popping on their new mobos. Either way, it has nothing to do with the design of the mobo, just quality control issues. It is possible that the inverters that blew were populated with bad capacitors. This is not totally out of the question. It happens to motherboards, it happens to power supplies, I don't see why it wouldn't happen to inverters as well.

Situations like this are extremely rare. Also, take into account that maybe in some of these inverter explosion cases, the problem could have been caused by a crappy power supply. Ultimately, we should decide which is safer: A bunch of kids buying ccfl kits to light their cases, or a bunch of kids buying soldering irons, stripboard, resistors and LEDs to rig up DIY lighting...

EDIT: On another note, I feel that if a ccfl inverter blows up and destroys your hardware, then the company that made the inverter should be held responsible. It seems that no matter what brand of ccfl kit you buy, you always get that same light-blue inverter. Leads me to believe that all the companies that make ccfl kits get the inverters from the same generic source. It'd be more comforting if that didn't happen, especially if this problem becomes more widespread. I think it'd be in these companies' interest to fab their own inverters. It's not a complicated piece of electronics after all and would give them/us more traceability.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2004
  9. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I have an inverter that doesn't have nearly as many companents as what is shown in the above linked article. Will post a pic later tonight if I remember.

So, has it just been the caps that are the problem?

10. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

won't house insurance cover you if a PC blows up.
    "yeah erm my PC exploded."
    "it cost me well over £2000 to put together."
    "**** no.i'm not having a dell"

PS:i've got 3 black inverters all sat at one end of my case.well away from anything.

11. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

interesting. from what I have heard, here in Canada insurance for a computer from fires and such is a LOT.. like twice what you payed for it per year. so, in a sense, I don't have insurence for it. I don't wanna fork over my whole pay check to house (computer insurense) and not be able to pay bills, etc.

12. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

My CCFL is in my front bezel of my case, if it blew up lol i would lose my hd and dvd rom

13. coorz

coorz Miffed

Incidents, given the number of CCFL's sold, the failure rate should be well acceptable.
    But ofcourse that is a very sad case :waah: .
    I'll stick to my trusty Luxeons.

14. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

I once had a build-it yourself cold cathoded kit. The tube exploded and to this day I still find little shards of glass around my desk. I was re-routing cables with my comp on (just tucking wires behind stuff) and out of the blue my bare cathode tube falls when it was lit and explodes. Hot shards of glass fly all over me and hurt just as bad as welder sparks but they cut me. Luckly i had my reading glasses on to save my eyes or i would most likely be blind. Oh yeah, it scared the **** out of me.

15. lasoaaro

lasoaaro What's a Dremel?

Lawsuit

Couldn't You Just Sue The Company Who You Bought The CCFL Off Of? Like It's Their Mistake And It Was Their Product Which Caused The Damage So Why Not? Anyway, I'd Just Sue The Company, Take No S*** From Them!

That's My Opinion...

Last edited: 19 Aug 2004
  16. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Yea I agree, but they would probably say that they need evidence that it wasn't you that blew it up and the company. I don't use them anyway.

BTW, its SUE not SEW, yea we could sew the company up, not sure how that would work?? :D

Off topic, but on the site I saw the computer modding mags, can u get one like that in the UK?

17. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

My story

Thanks for that link.

I just got a CoolerMaster CCFL, switched my test psu OFF, plugged in the inverter and CCFL, made sure all the connections were sound, turned the PSU ON, ran for the exthinguisher. :grr:

I returned the CCFL to my point of purchase where it was replaced with two Sunbeam CCFL's.
    Again, one of those damn inverters in one of the two NEW Sunbeam CCFL's burst into flames... :grr:

Laser LED's all the way now :clap:

Cheers,
    Mike

18. juzzwuzz

juzzwuzz What's a Dremel?

Well sorry to hear that two inverters from different companies can go up in smoke, and you ended up with the duds. :waah: :waah: :waah:
    Now I certainly going to stick to led's from now.

19. The_Resetter

The_Resetter I LIKE CAKE!

Thats what you get when your a cheap git :p AC Ryan makes cheap stuff but its poor quality if not total crap.

20. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

boht my invertors are in optimum positions to kill my 9800. so ive got a nice large plexi dome to put them in.