1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics OS influenced speaker noise

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Vigfus, 17 Sep 2004.

1. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

This problem tyrned up as of lately, this setup has worked fine for years until now. The only thing that has changed is a wireless phone near one of the speakers, witch is also interfearing but that will be sorted with some aluminium foil later on...

I have an rather old but fully operational CRT (correct? the big bulky kind...) monitor with speakers attached to the sides. These are making funny noises whenever i scroll anything. Word, IE, Explorer, it makes no difference. WHY??? The speakers are taking their power from a plug on the back of the screen, could the internal PSU be crap? The only other idea i have is that my PSU (for the computer) is crap. If i run headphones from the mobo jack i can clearly hear everything going on in the windows enviroment, the same thing happends when turning the speaker volume to max.

If it makes any difference:
    Q-tech PSU (came with the case)
    Abit KD7A MOBO
    Packard Bell Monitor with Diamond speakers

Rather lengthy post. Ill blame it on the sleep deprivation!

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Is it when you use the scroll wheel, or moving the mouse. Or does it do it when you use the keyboard to scroll also? If it is just the mouse, I would think that you are then using a PS/2 mouse, and probably onboard sound (dosen't have to be though). Some mobos just pick up interference from the ps/2 port on the sound. Try a usb mouse (or an adaptor) and see if that quiets it down.
    My mouse makes noise in when I use the adaptor and put it in the ps/2 port, but it is silent when I use the USB. Since I use headphones, and I keep all my digital inputs muted except when I use them, I have no hiss in my sound at all. (Using a SB audigy, they claim 100+dB SNR if I remember correctly)

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

It doesn't have to be PS/2 or onboard audio. The same problem occurs on my dad's system, which has a wireless USB mouse and a SB Live! The annoying thing is that everything's stuffed in an Antec Sonata case, so you can pick up on it rather easily. The thing is, it's not coming from the speakers at all.

4. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

It doesn't matter how i scroll. I even get a higher piched sound when i load a big webpage, from the rapid "scroll" of the scrollbar i guess.
    I am using a USB mouse through a PS/2 adaptor, it doesent matter if i plug it directly into the USB port.
    When i turn the volume to max i get a nice background hum, other than that there is no activity. Until something happends to the computer. It doesn't have to be on-screen. High HD-activity lets out a noise in a linear fashion to the HDD-activity LED.

5. nizon

nizon What's a Dremel?

I've noticed this on my laptop as well

The power supply makes a rather prominent high pitched buzzing sound when I scroll

6. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

How would the PSU make the noise?

Just a thought... Has anyone with a high-end PSU ever experienced this?

7. Explicit

Explicit What's a Dremel?

This isn't OS influenced, it's not from the scrollbars...

When you load a webpage, your CPU is put under load, and probably creates a similar static or hiss... Why do you have your speakers on max anyways?

nizon: I don't think it's your psu either.

8. Cougar4

Cougar4 What's a Dremel?

Switching power supplies, like those used in computers, operate at a high frequency that can be heard. As the load changes on the supply the frequency changes also.

The sounds you are hearing in the speakers may be due EMI from the monitor itself. Try moving the speakers away from the monitor to see if that changes things.

9. nizon

nizon What's a Dremel?

Nah, the sound comes from my PSU alright (it's a standard inline toshiba laptop power supply)

Aparently it's some sort of video issue
    My guess is it's rapid changes in current levels when the GPU pulls more current to process the scrolling

*shrug*

I have no clue

10. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Most switching power supplies actually operate well above audible frequencies.

11. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

I don't. I just said that in case someone got a clue from it. The scrolling and the interference from the phone, whitc i know how to fix, is audible even at normal levels.

As far as moving the speakers goes i'm a bit sceptic. This problem has appeared lateley, not when i connected the monitor + speakers to a new PC, not when i installed the phone. It did appear one or two months after i mounted the phone near to the speakers.
    I'll give it a go, but not now. They are rather inecsessible in their current state.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2004
  12. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

So, i have now gotten around to moving my monitor.
    I tried it with the speaker(s) ~10 cm away from the monitor. The same.
    I removed one speaker. The same.
    I connected another psu (to the speakers). The same.
    I even tried shielding the speaker(s) with aluminium foil. The same.

:waah:

I'm quite sertain the mobo or the PSU is to blame... Although, i did hear some noise from the back of the monitor, it sounded like 50Hz to me.

13. Explicit

Explicit What's a Dremel?

Why don't you try hooking up some headphones directly into the sound?

I bet you'll hear buzzing still, it's not the monitor, it's just a little interferance. Which is to be expected when you put so many small systems so close to eachother without sheilding.

I have the same thing, I've got onboard sound and I'm using a USB mouse, when I scroll or move the mouse at all, I heard noise. I also have onboard graphics which make weird noises when I do something graphic intensive. In fact when I minimize and maximize windows in XP, it makes weird noises.

I wouldn't worry about it. I also wouldn't turn my speakers up to max.

14. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Headphones, wherever connected, get the same results as the speakers. In fact, worse.
    I don't have my speakers on max. Just testing...

15. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

I had a similar problem with my computer about a year ago. It turned out that the mouse had moved and was running right next to the speaker cables. Due to poor shielding on the mouse cable and speaker audio cable, there was interference between the two.

Try to isolate the audio cables and the power cable to your speakers from the clutter at the back of your PC, and see if there is any improvement. If that doesn't work, then you may have poor grounding of your audio. I doubt that this is recommended, but grounding audio ground to the computer chassis and placing a very small capacitor (non electrolytic) between the audio left / right channels and the PC chassis once helped me to filter out an annoying hum on a particularly noisy system.

Incidentally, my laptop PSU also hums audibly when in use. From the tone, I suspect that it is 50Hz hum coming from somewhere, but as long as it works, I'm not going to go taking it apart to find out. ;)

(EDIT: re-reading the above, I see that moving the audio cables hasn't worked... :read: <--- to myself!)

Last edited: 30 Sep 2004
  16. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Don't be to hard on yourself, i moved the stuff away from the monitor but i have a big mess behind my case. Ill give it a shot, thanks.
    BTW i fixed the interference from the phone. Aluminium foil rules supreme!

17. ovad_g

ovad_g What's a Dremel?

speakers noise

hi
    try this it might help.
    double click speakers icon on task bar.
    check box next to MUTE of AUXILIARY.
    end

18. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

19. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Some time ago i muted most of my audio. Muting the CD-payer removed much of the interference. Not sure why i have that connected, i never use it... Still having problems though, i cant use my headphones. :sigh:

Shielding did nothing, must be inside the case. Not quite ready to mess with my audiocircuits...

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

just had a quick scan, so didn't :read: properly, so sorry if this has been suggested.

it could be the CRT itself getting old. also try changing the refresh rate.
    any change when you de-gauss?