1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ammo Case (First Mod)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Gumbatron, 16 Jan 2005.

1. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    Here's my first mod. It's an old Ammo case I bought from Aussie Disposals for $20. This case is ROCK SOLID. Its made from about 3mm Galvanised steel plate :jawdrop: .

Internal Hardware is as per my Sig (current System) with 2 X 80mm & 1 X 120mm red LED fans and a 60mm Xeon CPU fan (It's a bit loud but pumps more air than the other fans combined :D ). Controlling these are 2 Home Made Diode Bus Fan controllers, Which probably can't be seen in these pics since I added it a little later. Full credit to cpemma for the Diode Bus idea.

I was originally going to paint it Army green, but once I stripped off the old paint I thought the Galvanised Iron looked cool.

Neway here are some pics. Hope you like it.

Externals:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's another one of these handles on the bottom. Which helps cos it weighs almost 20 kgs :naughty:
    [​IMG]

Got this Power Plug & Switch off an old external CD Rom Caddy :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Internals:
    The Black box behind the DVD Rom houses the Fan Speed controllers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was my only close call. I didn't take into account the Graphics card when figuring out if everything would fit. The RAM cooler actually rests on the HDD Bay :eeek: . One more mm closer and I would have been stuffed :D
    [​IMG]

DVD Rom:
    The eject is via the toggle switch below and the Blue LED is the Activity LED.
    [​IMG]

Double sided tape is great for stealthing drives :D
    [​IMG]

My main tool: :D
    I first tried Drilling and cutting with a Hack Saw. It took about 3 Hours to cut my first hole :jawdrop: . So I went and got an angle grinder. Think of it as a Dremel on steroids ( :dremel: :eeek: )
    [​IMG]

Here's my original CPU Fan, until I put my finger in it :duh:
    [​IMG]

Any Questions / Comments would be Great

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Looks good, but I would suggest a tad bit more cable organizing inside (I can tell you've done some, but it still looks like a bit could be done) and clean up the cuts a bit.

Also, I think it would look cooler in army green, but that's just imo. Good work though, I like it :thumb:

3. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

Looking very cool being your first case mod :hip:
    I'd put those HDDs down next to the PSU and the 80mm fan blowwing to the HDDs. But nice and heavy mod :D

4. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

Cool first mod...

5. Gipo

Gipo What's a Dremel?

top dog!

6. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the nice commnets guys. :clap:

Here's a pic of the Fan Speed controllers I took 30 seconds ago. As you can see the top of my case also doubles as a coin tray:
    [​IMG]

Zephyr:
    I agree that It needs a little cable work. I have done some since that pic, but I still need to do more.

I was going to (and did) paint it green, but my painting skills are very basic at the moment (I.m practising for my new case :D ), so it looked shitty :waah: . Plus it rained just after I did the final coat and ruined it. :duh:

Bah... enough excuses. I like it the way it is. The outside has a really cool texture and is tough as nails. At least I don't have to worry about scratching my beautiful paint job.

Thanks again for the comments :rock:

7. Yotsuba

Yotsuba What's a Dremel?

Awesome looking case. It doesn't need paint, just possibly some clearcoat.

Airbrush something like ARMY or the radiation symbol onto the side.

8. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Wow, nice log gumbatron. This is the 2/2 of your mods that i have liked a lot. Are there any others lurking somewhere on the forums?

9. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Nice job, it's got the look :thumb: :hehe:
    I would've fired a couple of rounds in it first lolll

10. ReD.SkY

ReD.SkY What's a Dremel?

totally awesome dude...

its the uber lan rig ;)